Spring Breakers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spring Breakers Reviews

½ April 30, 2016
It will be tough to outdo this badness
April 27, 2016
"Spring Breakers" is interesting. On one side, some might say it's a dumb movie about teenagers wanting to be free and independent -glued together by boobs & drugs - while pretending to be critical, and I can see why certain people feel that way. There are sequences that feel strange, even for somebody in my age - like they were trying to squeeze a certain message in every scene that somehow never transcends to the viewer. But there's something in the way it's shot - it looks beautiful - and I think the overall tone makes me like this movie for the most parts. And of course - the cast is beautiful.
April 20, 2016
I don't know what they were trying to do: trying to make some sort of artsy movie or an off beat comedy. Whatever it was it just didn't work and was weird and hard to follow.
April 1, 2016
You won't see anything like this, for better and worse. Its got the bling and bitches aesthetic, but is far darker underneath the skin. Its an artsy movie hidden beneath a shallow Project X movie, ready to give the current partygoing generation a gutpunch they will likely hate. Definitely a divisive movie, where it goes overboard with the deep existential sequences at times, but at others there is pure brilliance in here. Flawed genius best describes this, and definitely worth a look. Loving/hating the movie is to be expected.
½ March 28, 2016
This is the most horrible and awful movie. This is the most disgusting second half a movie could have. This is the worst movie. Why would Selena Gomez be part of it? Why would anyone?
½ March 28, 2016
Harmony Korine is a misunderstood filmmaker, and rightly so. His films are downright experimental, disturbing, and overly indulgent. Some even call them pointless and aimless, yet they completely miss the point. Korine's films are artistic, brutally honest, and eye-opening snapshots of life. And they're unshakeable, memorable, and mesmerizing. Spring Breakers is his latest effort and it is by far his most accessible, comprehensive, polished, and frank portrayal of life. A neon-hazed hedonistic nightmare of warped fulfillment and debauchery.

Spring Break is a right of passage in today's society, a getaway for many to indulge in endless nights of partying, drugs, booze, sex, and hedonism. The film in itself is a statement of the corruption of today's youth, even changing the statuses of Disney icons Vanessa Hudgens and Selena Gomez as they star in their best, and most iconic, performances, well, ever. Their transition to such a mature subject film further reiterates the vile corruption that plagues the youth of today.

"The film follows four college friends as they rob a Chicken Shack with water pistols in order to pay for their spring break trip to Florida. The BFF soak up sun, drink and drugs as the days and nights merge into one long party of excess. However, after a brush with the law they find themselves in the care of a drug dealing rapper called Alien who invite the girls into his fantasy world of money, guns and amorality."

-Adam Cook (excerpt from his wonderful review because he summed up the film better than I could ever do)

Although heavy on the indulgence cinematic devices, Korine merely satirizes the senseless and hedonistic vapidity of today's youth; the most compelling aspect of this transformation is how open the girls are to corrupting their own moral compasses rather than let the plight of the spring break fantasy ruin themselves. It's a bleak but honest portrayal that is unfortunately true.

James Franco's brilliant performance as Alien (definite Oscar nomination snub) is a twisted embodiment of the American Dream as he relishes in his materialistic instinct and belonging. Yet underneath the conniving grillz is a tortured soul that is subtly exposed in a numerous moments of exposition (one being a funny cover of Brittany Spears' "Everytime"). He then uses money, guns, and riches to seduces the four leads (sans Gomez's aptly named character Faith who leaves the film early, symbolizing that initial instinct of one's moral compass). His mantra and bravado portray Franco as "part-prophet/part-Peter Pan" as he is forced to exist as a symbolic being in the warped fantasy of Spring Break-land. Much like himself, he offers no escape as the wealth and hedonism is all he knows, and loves.

The film's hazy cinematography, repetitive nature, saturated debauchery, use of narration, and out of order clips provide a dreamlike ambiance that, combined with the languid and consistent pacing, reinforces Korine's sense of style as he sensationalizes this neon-drenched nightmare. Skrillex's aggressive dubstep and Clint Mansell's pensive score highlight the spectacular lit scenes (phone calls, discussion) that give the viewer a well needed break from the hyper-sensational imagery as the saturation perfectly contrasts the drab atmosphere of the early scenes pre-Spring Break.

For a film that was advertised as an overtly sexual experience, the film is oddly sexless and more focused on the corruption of the youth. Much like the gambit Stanley Kubrick pulled with Eyes Wide Shut , the film fools the viewer into seeing something pleasurable but towards the end, it's a sickening yet unshakeable experience.

To call this film vapid and superficial is to completely miss the point, but that only reinforces Korine's intentions. Sure, it's easy to make snap judgements of false cheap thrills and amoral pleasure, but the film is a woozy, mesmerizing, beautifully shot, expertly edited and paced hypnotic neon-nightmare that is a more than generous reflection of the twisted fantasy known as The American Dream.

Harmony Korine's films are artistic, brutally honest, and eye-opening snapshots of life. If there is any film, besides Project X , that perfectly reflects Generation Y, it's this film. Welcome to America; as Alien would say "spring break forever." Spring Breakers is the single most misunderstood piece of cinema in the past decade, shining brightly on its neon pedestal of debauchery, empty promises, and mesmerizing chaos. A cult classic to be.
½ March 27, 2016
If I had to hear James Franco say 'Sprang Brahk' one more time... I thought I might just shoot my TV. Zero redeeming qualities to this piece of trash movie.
March 27, 2016
Well directed, well acted, and well written until the second half where it loses the charm it created. Final act is an unrealistic mess.
March 22, 2016
cant even watch the fucking movie
½ March 21, 2016
Korine's polarizing new picture "Spring Breakers" is in-your-face, bleak, intoxicating, numbing, disturbing, and raw. And, in it's own unique way, kind of a marvel.
March 17, 2016
Self-conscious vapidity raised to the level of art. (See also: The Canyons.) The conclusion was a letdown, though -- wanted Korine to stay committed to surface effects, but he stepped back from it noticeably.
March 12, 2016
Excellent film! Music was great and sure enough it was by Cliff Martinez. I just want to know what aspect ratio was this shot in? It was skinnier than letterbox. It could have been better visually. Oh well.
½ March 5, 2016
This is one of those really weird, dark movies that goes beyond conventional human thoughts by offering an unnatural, confusing, yet seductive and satisfying experience.
March 3, 2016
I enjoyed this film, but without James Franco's performance, and a few very good standout scenes, I don't know if I would've made it threw it honestly.
½ March 1, 2016
Don't waste your time watching this movie 3/10
February 22, 2016
This was the weirdest movie I have ever seen...honestly don't know what else to say...it sucked :(
February 22, 2016
Best movie I've ever seen ever.
February 22, 2016
this is probably the worst movie I have ever seen in my life. It's so bad I can't even think about it without nearly vomiting.