Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring Reviews

• May 04, 2019

One of the most profoundly simple films you'll see. This is a beautiful, meditative experience.

• Jun 08, 2018

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring is such an immensely beautiful film which manages to become a spiritual, meditative experience itself owing to stunning imagery at display and deliberately slow pace. It is a slow, but never boring movie as it's captivating in its universality and ideas. The reason why I personally connected with the film lies in its portrayal of animal cruelty and personal growth, both truthfully and powerfully showcased. It's impressively epic in approach, but still intimate in its character study. A true gem of Asian cinema.

• Mar 20, 2018

A cheap prey for orientalism enthusiast.

A cheap prey for orientalism enthusiast.

• Nov 09, 2017

Lush, beautiful and, so amazingly made.

Lush, beautiful and, so amazingly made.

• Nov 03, 2017

A Buddhist monk lives in a temple in the middle of a lake. He is training a child to be a monk. We see the transitions the younger monk goes through as he ages, his discoveries, trials and tribulations, temptations, sins, punishments and atonements. Minimalist yet poetic, beautiful and engaging. Very basic setting - pretty much everything happens in the temple and around the lake. Plot is reasonably simple and there's hardly any dialogue. Yet it works. While simple, the plot is profound and engaging. There is a structure to scenes and the narrative that is quite poetic. Dialogue is not essential here as the actions speak for themselves. The setting is stunningly beautiful, filled with vibrant colour and wonderfully filmed. The cinematography is superb. On the downside, the structures that make the film so poetic also make it quite predictable. The title also gives away the ending. So while profound, not too powerful, as, from a point, you can see where the movie is going. The final few scenes are actually redundant.

• Aug 26, 2017

Beautiful, Quiet, Pensive, Tedious, Mysterious and interesting. Patience will bring some satisfaction.

• Jun 08, 2017

a nice Zen experience, if interested.

a nice Zen experience, if interested.

• May 18, 2017

Beautiful and meditative film. Not a boring film at all, in fact it had me hooked throughout.

• Apr 14, 2017

I hold a special place in my heart for this beautiful film. Please, discover it for yourself :)

• Oct 28, 2016

Hypnotic, eye-catching, and emotional. A story not dissimilar to early Japanese films (which also seemed to refer to seasons quite a lot). Another good film from Kim Ki-Duk