Spun - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spun Reviews

August 11, 2016
There aren't any happy films about methamphetamine users (You know like those stoner buddy comedies) I enjoyed this attempt at a depiction on what the effect of being Spun out is like.
½ July 11, 2016
Spun is an absolutely insane, nasty, and drug-fueled film revolving around meth-addicted, low-lifes and their constant search for their next fix. With disorienting and fast-cut editing, you will honestly feel as if you're experiencing a drug-trip yourself as it numbs your brain after a while. The film is based off of the writer's own long-ago experience as a driver for a meth cook for a period of three days, which is the central "plot" of this film and there's not much else to it. The film stars Jason Schwartzman as the aforementioned driver, Mickey Rourke as the meth cook, and performances from John Leguizamo, Mena Suvari, Brittany Murphy, and Patrick Fugit all as unstable addicts who come in and out of the main narrative. It's a film made-up of moments, as opposed to a concrete story, and there are some bizarre things that take place here that I'll likely never forget, i.e. an extended gag where Schwartzman's character ties a woman to a bed during sex, and then leaves her there for well-over a day by mistake. This is a very unique beast, and the farthest thing from a mainstream film; at times you won't believe the directions it takes, and for those reasons it's a difficult film to recommend, but it's an interesting film-going experience that'll definitely make you feel better about yourself compared to these repulsive characters!
½ February 1, 2016
wow, crazy movie, lots of action and drama. Funny parts
July 24, 2015
"I don't like resorting to violence. But men are evil. They need healing." Debbie Harry delivers this line with seething passion. It is yet a number of cleverly timed cameos. But this line fairly sums up a lot of what we see.

Jonas Åkerlund's "Spun" was largely dismissed by critics at the time of its release. I disagreed then as I do now. Akerlund's experimental, dark, grim, comical and twisted plunge into addiction is a unique and adrenaline-fueled subversively entertaining ride of a movie.

A speed freak who's insanity seems to be hanging on by a strained thread is led into a three day bender of an adventure after his stripper/dealer pulls him into the meth-cook who creates "the fuel" upon which this junkie lives.

As tragic as it is funny. Profane yet sometimes touching. Akerlund never let's up on his hyper-drive style. Mickey Rourke resurrected his career, Brittany Murphy breaks your heart, John Leguizamo makes us laugh and Jason Schwartzman is our very unreliable protagonist.

"Spun" is not worried about the fact that it offends and shocks. It doesn't care what we think. It is an amazing work of art.
June 10, 2015
Hilarious but lacks substance of timeless films.
February 7, 2015
Humorous at times and somewhat realistic look inside the world of tweakers that has very above-average acting.
October 17, 2014
a drugs film with a few famous faces playing roles that could have ended their careers. The direction was inventive and a little twisted, I mean who thought up showing us Mena Suvari dropping her shopping and Debbie Harry as a butch curtain twitcher battering a hispanic youth in a supermarket? It's an entertaining film but not one that I can really relate to.
½ August 11, 2014
Frantic, frenetic, wild. A medley that might have been a masterpiece if it had a little restraint. The effects and scenery are painstakingly placed but not dangerously unwatchable. Visually enthralling, it will rattle you as intended, plunging you through the experience and then parting ways at the bus station. Making a movie that does what this does with a drug is tough to seam together emotionally, but otherwise it's incredibly watchable for its action.
May 19, 2014
love this movie its so funny!
½ April 21, 2014
Disgusting and graphic, but original and shocking. Worth a look.
April 9, 2014
I liked it. Screw you.
½ February 16, 2014
Me encanto! buenísima película, no tenía muchas expectativas pero la verdad, muyyyyy buena
February 9, 2014
the meth version of trainspotting, more or less, however boasts a terrific cast
½ January 30, 2014
may be a little aimless but deserves a recommendation its nice to see the crystal-meth side of life rather then all them heroin addiction movies (there seems to be very little difference between the two) as in your just in a state the whole time yeah, although on heroin you can sleep a lot compared to very little sleep on this stuff, my advice is do both at the same time and balance it out yeah. I mean who ever died of a speed ball john bulushi he was fat chris Farley he was fat its fool proof unless your fat. no but really don't do drugs life is hard enough without being out of your head, no I mean being out of your head cause life is hard but not. right get out of your head but only sometimes and don't die while your at it.
½ January 29, 2014
little substance behind the stylistic flash
January 27, 2014
Its got..flash and some interesting actors but really this movie has no substance.
January 25, 2014
A lot of negative review have been written about Spun, critiquing the film for it's lack of a traditional plot and it's unlike able characters. What they seem to of misunderstood is this movie isn't a story of redemption or a warning about the dangers of drug abuse. It's simply a snapshot of a few days in the life of meth addicts.
December 15, 2013
think breaking bad comedy sick dark comedy but still somewhat real!
November 24, 2013
This movie might cause u to spin ! ;) excellent movie , great cast ! :)
November 20, 2013
Tries way too hard to be Requiem for a Dream but is anything but ... and like most drugs, after the high wears off, it leaves you feeling hollow and soul-less.