Spy Game - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spy Game Reviews

May 8, 2015
Sensational. It gets better with every viewing and it has held up exceptionally well over the years.
April 30, 2015
This is a great spy thriller. Robert Redford is very cool calm and collected in the CIA boardroom outwitting his fellow agents and superiors. Lots of action by Brad Pitt who fits the role he plays perfectly. The violence was not overdone - unlike most movies nowadays. Very enjoyable to watch.
April 12, 2015
Pretty good....too many flashbacks
February 16, 2015
One of my favourite movies of all time. It can be confusing and might take a few times watching before understanding the spectacular and very well written thriller. If you're into CIA psychological thrillers, this movie is on top with one of the best movies ever made in this genre.
February 6, 2015
Directed by Tony Scott, who had just come off the spy and espionage themed Enemy of the State (1998), and written by Michael Frost Beckner (Cutthroat Island (1995) and Prince Valiant (1997)), this is a hard-edged spy film with a lot of flash backs and flash forwards. But, this works against it. You can't deny Scott is perfect to make a film like this, and it is well made, but it's not a film you can fully engage with. In 1991, CIA spy Tom Bishop (Brad Pitt) is caught in China trying to free Englishwoman Elizabeth Hadley (Catherine McCormack). Bishop will be assassinated in 24 hours unless the U.S. Government claim him. However, if the U.S admit to the Chinese that Bishop is an agent, it would risk jeopardising a potential trade agreement between the U.S. and China happening in a few days. CIA case officer Nathan Muir (Robert Redford) is asked to come up with a solution, as he recruited Bishop to join the CIA in 1975 just after the Vietnam War. Muir tells his superiors all this and their operations together, and he comes up with a dangerous rescue plan. With 2 good leads and a top director experienced in films like this, it should have been a success, but it ends up being quite half-hearted and it feels derivative. However, there are scenes with Redford and Pitt together in the flashbacks, and they're the scenes that work the best.
½ January 8, 2015
Redford and Pitt....need I say more
January 3, 2015
Fun to see Redford and Pitt playing off each other and having a smirking good time doing it. But it's a fluff movie disguised as something more important, so don't expect too much more.
December 15, 2014
Things to do before retirement - have dinner out! A well told tale with a great ensemble cast.
½ November 23, 2014
Robert Redford and Brad Pitt, the golden boys of their respective generations, team up to do a Forrest Gump of the spy genre, producing a grown-up post-Cold war thriller that is blessedly free of fidgety camera work.
½ November 19, 2014
It's clever and shows great control of craft, but it doesn't care, and so it's hard for us to care about.
November 12, 2014
It's a solid movie. Enjoyable, but feels very improbable and filled with Hollywood cliches. It would have been great to have more interaction between Redford and Pitt, but the politics are fun drama to watch unfold. But in the end, while it's fairly smart writing, it's just another spy thriller with nothing new to offer.
October 27, 2014
Last movie I saw with mom
August 21, 2014
It may look like an action thriller, but it is in fact a very good old fashioned spy thriller where intrigue, deception, and craft are the focus; the action when it happens is incidental.
½ July 29, 2014
Deserves a way better review than what the critics gave it.
½ July 23, 2014
An above average story meet with good direction and great acting to make this a solid movie. This type of story has been told before a sense but not as uniquely. This movie delivers on what you hope it will and has enough going for it to keep you entertained.
July 14, 2014
Redford & Pitt = great combination.
½ July 3, 2014
Superior, if idealistic, spy thriller.
June 29, 2014
As this being one of the last movies Scott made before his death, I gotta say I loved this movie and every time its on cable, I watch it...R.I.P Mr. Tony Scott
½ June 25, 2014
Well-crafted, smart movie. One of my favorites.
June 17, 2014
Great Spy thriller...enjoyed the "brain games"...