Spy Hard - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spy Hard Reviews

½ August 28, 2016
The movie and story were terrible overall, but had numerous sight and wordplay gags like in Airplane! that were funny. I also love anything with Weird Al Yankovic, who lent his talents to the opening title credits.

1.5/5- Poor, A Few Good Parts
½ July 5, 2016
Wow even before Friedberg/Seltzer became houshold names in regards to terrible movies, they were still pumping out garbage. If you're going to parody Bond, the silliness has to be clever and inspired or the action has to deliver; Spy Hard accomplishes neither.
½ June 11, 2016
Another woeful nail in Leslie Nielsen's coffin. I defy anyone to even smile.
May 24, 2016
I think the film is fun but there are only a limited number of jokes that are funny. The best skit is when all those guys punch Leslie Nielsen in the face and the gorilla hands struggle him. I'm annoyed it ended at a cliffhanger. Hopefully a comic book sequel could made that could tell us what happens next.
½ April 11, 2016
Hay gags que funcionan y otros son simplemente flojos, es el mayor problema que la pelicula se satura de cualquier de chistes.
Con el carisma de Leslie hace que el metraje no se sienta muy pesado.
Pero en general, no es la gran cosa, es una decente pelicula comica para un buen domingo en la tarde.
March 24, 2016
Great comedy on par with any of the naked gun movies. If you don't like it your probably a communist.
January 11, 2016
Austin Powers spoofed the spy genre better than this shit
January 5, 2016
You know you have problems when the funniest part of your film is the title sequence and song by 'Weird' Al Yankovic that parodies the James Bond title sequences. And I don't mean that in a derogatory manner, because the song is actually funny, but you know what that means for the rest of the film. Just take Frank Drebin from the Naked Gun series and stick him in the spy world and this is the movie you get. To say that this is a rip-off would be a severe understatement. I'm surprised the Zuckers and Jim Abrahams didn't lawyer up and sue, because they do legitimately steal several jokes from The Naked Gun trilogy. I guess it shouldn't surprise me when this film was written, in part by, by Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer, who are better known as being the writing/directing team for abominations such as Date Movie, Epic Movie, Meet the Spartans, Disaster Movie, among many, many others. This movie is, really, only marginally better than some of those movies, but it's still an absolutely terrible movie. It only gets the one star based on the Weird Al song and Leslie Nielsen managing to make me laugh during some scenes. Here's the thing, though, as much as I love Leslie Nielsen, the fact is that without the Zuckers and Jim Abrahams, Nielsen isn't that great. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a solid enough actor, but the Zuckers and Abrahams knew how to write for him and his character to where they'd get the most out of Nielsen as far as comedic performance is concerned. The problem with these other Nielsen movies that came out in the 90s that were hoping to recapture the Naked Gun's success is that they tried to do so without what made the Naked Gun so good in the first place. They were trying to re-do all of the goofy slapstick and silly dialogue without any of the wit, energy and effort actually put in. Again, Friedberg and Seltzer, along with two others, rip off the goofier aspects and it's just not that funny. It's as lazily written as some of Friedberg's and Seltzer's worst, but it's never, to me, as offensively awful as Date Movie was. At least it's 80 minutes long, so the suffering never lasts that long. Again there's a couple of laughs sprinkled here and there, but they're never that consistent and for every joke that works, mildly at that, there are a thousand that don't. That's not a good ratio. Not recommended in the slightest, not even if you love Leslie Nielsen and want to see more of him being a Frank Drebin-esque dumbass. Terrible movie.
½ December 28, 2015
One of the first bad parody movies.

And certainly not the last.
½ December 2, 2015
Spy Hard has some really funny parts and then some parts with bad acting...and though Leslie Nielsen does a really good job, I can't say the same about the others. It's still worth to watch just for Nielsen and for some funny parts. AVERAGE, 2.5/5 or 5/10
½ November 11, 2015
no 'airplane' or 'naked gun' but still very funny
½ August 19, 2015
Leslie Nelson is terrific but can't compensate the lame script and the quick and careless direction.
May 2, 2015
After the Naked Gun series,the quality of Nielsen"s spoof comedies was like the Beattles only playing the Chicken Dance.
½ January 22, 2015
Stop watching 'Spy Hard' after the 'Weird Al' Yankovic James Bond title song parody sequence. You're welcome.
½ December 26, 2014
I blame this movie for killing parody.
October 13, 2014
This outrageously funny comedy is about Dick Steele who returns as an undercover agent to stop the evil General Rancor from taking over the world and to rescue Barbie Doll. This story is Lead by the the late great funny man Leslie Neilson who was always great at movies like this where he is completely goofy. And here he is at his complete best. It was pretty cool to see Andy Griffith too as General Rancor.There are lots of great cameos as well as plenty of great laughs as Neilson as always makes you laugh your head off. This is one of his many great comedies that keeps you interested and laughing hard to the very end.
September 27, 2014
Why did I watch this crap? Well the answer to that question is that I didn't know it was a Friedberg-Seltzer film like "Epic Movie" and "Disaster Movie." The duo of bad parodies has a sense of humor that's totally different from those that watch their movies. They're trying too-hard to follow the style of the superior parodies "Airplane!" and "The Naked Gun," both starring Leslie Neilson. So the duo casted him as their benefit for their first spoof of their own, "Spy Hard" - another failure that doesn't change throughout their career (don't know if "Scary Movie" got affected by that curse since it's their only success). But I decided to watch the film anyway since it's their first of their bad (luck) run.

"Spy Hard" is only a spoof film of the 007 movies (before "Johnny English," a non-Friedberg-Seltzer film that's better) while also parodying "Speed," "In the Line of Fire," "The Naked Gun," "The A-Team," "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," "Home Alone," "Airplane!" and other shows that are mostly in the action business.

It's a waste of time when watching these films (sorry to be harsh by trashing their works in one review). I've seen "Epic Movie," "Meet the Spartans" and "Disaster Movie," and it was a huge mistake on seeing those. If anyone have any interest (ANY at all, not even a bit) to watch how the duo makes fun of different popular films, try watching them on Youtube for a few minutes. It'll be a very rare surprise if any moments of their films are actually funny enough to have a chuckle from the viewer. If they can take a break for a long time and think more about what to parody and how to master it, they may surprise us on any sign of improvement and matching common humor.

If you've seen any of their films beside "Scary Movie," they're all the same. Abysmal (not in Joey's term from "Friends"). Sorry to say this, but skip their films and only watch the trailer premieres of their new wasteful projects, just to see what they're trying to parody and if it'll be different and funny. Or not to waste your time, don't watch them at all. (C-)
½ September 21, 2014
More A Lame Follow-On To His Naked Gun Acclaim. Nothing New & Things Were A Little Bit More Commerical. It Still Had Some Good Laughs..But Very Few.
½ August 21, 2014
Moderately funny, although nothing compared to Airplane! or The Naked Gun; it's one of the funnier spoof movies to come along in the wake of the Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker spike. It isn't incredibly cohesive, and a few of the jokes don't really work, but it's more hit than miss. If anything, watch it for the cast.