Spy Kids 2: The Island of Lost Dreams - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spy Kids 2: The Island of Lost Dreams Reviews

½ May 16, 2015
Fantastical silliness.
April 18, 2015
I like it I like this one because I want to sell is there a movie I don't like it that much lo
½ April 4, 2015
not better than the original but still fun
February 28, 2015
A bit bigger and bolder than the first, Sky Kids 2 is just as fun.
½ February 25, 2015
The visual effects may seem very dated and the plot is rather childish, but the heart is still in the right place. Spy Kids 2 is still a fun time.
February 11, 2015
An agent is only as good as his gadgets.

The Cortez siblings disobey an order and go to an island where a mad scientist has created strange mutants that roam the island. One of their school competitors is also loose on the island. The Cortez siblings head out to the island to help their classmates. The survival tactics by the groups becomes a competition.

"We will get our grandchildren back."

Robert Rodriguez, director of Desperado, Machete, Spy Kids 1-4, Planet Terror, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Machete Kills, Sin City 1 & 2, and The Faculty, delivers Spy Kids 2: Island of Lost Dreams. I think a lot of the special effects and aspects of the story were super cheesy. The acting was average and the cast includes Antonio Banderas, Steve Buscemi, Danny Trejo, Mike Judge, Cheech Marin, and Carla Gugino.

"A good agent controls his temper."

Spy Kids is a series I was reluctant to see but decided to give it a shot with my child. I thoroughly enjoyed the first one and had high hopes for this sequel. This was dreadful. There was too much whacky and cheesy CGI scenes. I thought the story was flimsy and preferred the 007 style feel the first film had. I recommend skipping this bummer.

"Family is sacrifice."

Grade: F
January 29, 2015
It's not quite on the same level as the first but it's surprising just how well it holds up in comparison. Full review later.
January 3, 2015
A big improvement over the first. Buscemi is a great Moreau, but the CG is sad. It's amazing the difference 12 years makes. The skeletons reminded me of Army of Darkness, which came out ten years earlier. Magnets, how do they work?
January 1, 2015
I liked the first one...
January 1, 2015
I liked the first one...
½ November 9, 2014
By God, it was ACTUALLY worse than the previous film.
½ October 15, 2014
This was probably the best one In the series.
October 14, 2014
Best in the series, 7.5/10
½ September 12, 2014
The thrills are definitely bigger in this film, the rivalry against another group of spy kids is fun, and some great new secondary characters are introduced, but it's a little bit underwhelming compared to the first. 7/10.
August 25, 2014
The best of the series as well the funniest and warmest with the usual effects and silliness. (B+)

(Full review coming soon)
July 29, 2014
Not the best. There could be the worst.
July 23, 2014
Better than the original Spy Kids 2 is hilarious. Here's the thing, you have to realize that the over the top corniness is intentional. If you were to attempt this type of humor with say more adult films (say a Quentin Tarantino movie) you would think it hilarious and masterful. Unfortunately, when the actors are kids and the plot is less graphic, people fail to understand the humor in it and instead attribute it to poor acting or an unintelligent plot line. But if you realize the intentionality of the overzealous tackiness you must then realize the wonder of it. In the dramatic zoom shots of a character's face, the characters say something that seems to be too commonly used in movies today. They say a catch phrase. But in this movie, those catch phrases are meant to come across as tacky. There is intentional satire. Also, the scene in which Juni and the President's daughter dance is one of the most hilarious moments in modern cinema. Seriously. With all that being said, that's not to say that Spy Kids 2 is some sort of masterpiece. It's not, by any stretch of the imagination. However, it is a dang good kids movie. And for that reason, it's a great watch.
July 20, 2014
Good spy kids movie but the only thing good in this movie is the animals.
½ July 12, 2014
While it does have its thrills, this sequel tries to use blatantly obvious CGI to make up for a story and concept that's already been thoroughly experimented with.
July 9, 2014
A very nice sequel to spy kids.
B