Spy School (Doubting Thomas) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spy School (Doubting Thomas) Reviews

½ August 28, 2015
It mocks superior films, uses the inverse of logic to shove its pretentious acceptance message. Which is entirely missplaced, as the main character is entirely unlikeable, doesnt learn anything, and on top of that actually CAUSES, the kidnapping of the presidents daughter, Not Solve it . in fact his actions nearly get her killed, and then, out of the blue, he is declared a hero, because the movie says so. Also, this is a film which includes the line "Its not what you do, But who you are inside, that defines you." Batman Begins fans may now throw their stones.
½ March 31, 2013
live action films for children starring children tend to be very poor in the writing, and acting departments, and "spy school" is no different. it's pretty lame.
½ April 14, 2012
Not very good but will entertain little kids.
October 14, 2011
i didnt intend to see it... and i will NEVER see it again... i hated it beyond measure
½ August 21, 2011
Awesome movie not just for kids
½ January 10, 2011
This movie was so bad that I nearly threw up. I don't understand why AnnaSophia Robb wasted her amazing talent on this rubbish.
December 30, 2010
good movie, i kept going back and forth between who were the bad guy and who were the good guys. i liked the ending cause they finally ended up together!
½ July 21, 2010
This is obviously a kids movie but it's an awful kids movie.
July 14, 2010
Me parecio buena ya que deja un mensaje muy claro, a veces preferimos hacer hasta lo imposible por estar con la persona "bonita" y no nos damos cuenta de la mejor persona con quien estar puede estar al lado.
Michael M.
½ February 21, 2010
I decided to watch this film because I wanted something to turn my brain off to. It was late at night, I was browsing the Netflix instant view, and I stumbled upon this film. The premise looked cute enough, and it had Annsophia Robb who is one of my favorite young actors, so I decided to give it a look. 20 minutes in, I was utterly annoyed and angry at the film.

It starts off promisingly enough, with a rather creative animated opening sequence, but once it went to live action things went downhill and fast. The film stars the reject kid from the "Cheaper by the Dozen" movies as Thomas, your generic everyday "boy who cried wolf." Thomas likes to spend his time making up elaborate lies, and scaring the ever-loving crap out of his classmates through pranks so complex that I would praise his creativity were it not for the fact that they were so stupid. The only one in school who likes him is his best friend Jackie, played by Annasophia Robb, who's in love with Thomas even though he's a total jerk who perpetually rejects her for the cute foreign girl...wow, I guess this movie does have a level of realism after all, but I digress.

The romance between Jackie and Thomas is, without question, the worst part of the movie. First off, I really hate it when children's movies think they have to put a romance in. Seriously, let's think about this for a moment. A typical children's films target audience is probably in the range of about 5-12. Now, the 5-9 year olds are still in the age where they believe in cooties, and the 10-12 year olds are, for the most part, only just starting to notice the opposite sex. Romance isn't something this age bracket looks for in a movie, so why the hell are you putting it in there? Seriously, this bothered the hell out of me when I was a kid and I saw this in movies. Furthermore, I can never believe in a romance between 12 year olds. If you want to portray it as puppy love, that's fine, but this movie actually expects it's viewers to take the relationship seriously; playing crappy love songs during supposed romantic scenes and having the always-popular single teardrop after Jackie gets rejected. Honestly, "The Notebook" wasn't this cheesy. Finally, there's no reason to root for the relationship to work out, since Thomas just isn't a very likeable character. Jackie's likeable enough, and I found myself wanting her to go off and find some other guy and forget Thomas. But that would require her to be a three-dimensional character with depth and common sense, and those are lengths this movie was clearly unwilling to go to.

Anyway though, back to the story. That foreign girl that Thomas likes wrote a paper about saving the world or something, so the president's daughter's coming to their spring dance as a form of congratulations, but Thomas hears some dude plotting to kidnap her on the day of the dance, so he tries to warn people but of course no one believes him 'cause he's a lying douche, so he tries to get Jackie's help, but she's still mad at him, but she forgives him eventually 'cause she's a slave to his hotness, he tries to be like James Bond and investigate so he can save the president's daughter, but things go wrong and blah blah blah. Honestly, after the first 40 minutes it just turns into a streak of clichés. I knew what was going to happen next every second of this movie. The basic rule of thumb I discovered is that if you're supposed to like the character, they're a good guy; if you're supposed to hate the character, they're a bad guy. The movie even admits to it's clichés through line's like "of course you're the bad guy" in the dialogue, hoping we'll forgive it's predictability if it admits to it. I didn't.

The biggest issue with the story though is the utter incompetence of every single character. For example, when the presidents daughter does inevitably get kidnapped (which really isn't that much of a spoiler since if you've read this far I imagine you have no intention of seeing the actual movie) the security agents simply let the kidnapper go, despite having several clean shots at him. I know this is a kid's movie and all, but if you're going to go through the effort to actually give them guns, you should give them a logical reason not to shoot! But it doesn't end there, they actually let the kidnapper get to the roof of the school, let him wait for a helicopter that they know is coming, without ever making any effort to, you know, do they're friggin' jobs! Is the president's daughter just that much of a bitch that they really don't give a damn what happens to her? I mean I know she's a god-awful actor, but that still doesn't seem like enough reason to let her get kidnapped.

I know anybody reading this is probably thinking "but it's a kid's movie, of course you're not going to like it." And you know what, I hate to say it, but I think my 9 year-old self would've been at least a little amused by this film (except for that romantic sub-plot, but let's not get back into that). Having said that though, that's still no excuse for this movie to be as bad as it is. Filmmakers shouldn't be allowed to make a crappy movie just because it'll keep the kids entertained, that's just shameful. And you know something, you may be able to keep a child's attention with a movie like this, but it's the good kid's movies like Free Willy, The Neverending Story, and anything from Pixar that they'll be watching again and again and hold found memories of until adulthood. I guess I'm being rather harsh on this movie, so I will admit this: most of the performances are actually quite good (particularly D.L. Hughley and Annasophia Robb). However, as good as they are, they are still bogged down by the crappiness of the script, and the familiar actors aren't as good as they were in other films. Parents looking for something to keep there kids quiet for 90 minutes will certainly find it in Spy School, but parents who are looking for something that will result in fond memories and return viewings for their children, as well as something they can enjoy with their children, better look elsewhere, because this ain't it.
February 18, 2010
ekisdé
son de esas películas cuando uno ve xk no hay nada mejor q ver xD
weno... yo admito en verdad q la vi x Annasophia Robb o.o
xD
piola la movie... ULTRA liviana xD claramente pa pandex.. pero bueno... = la disfrute un poco jajja
igual chistoso ver a Taylor Momsen (Jenny Humphrey de Gossip Girl, ultra pendex.... y cn acento inglés xD)
½ February 12, 2010
I wanted a movie to turn my brain off to, and I found this on Netflix instant view, the cast looked good and the premise looked cute. In the end, it performed it's job well enough, but It's stupidity did also annoy me (I really hope our national security isn't as incompetent as it is in this movie). Performances are (for the most part) good, but the plot is cliched and annoyingly predictable (a fact which it even admits too and references). Young kids might enjoy it, but really there's so many better kids movies out there.
½ January 24, 2010
Juvenile humor that's always silly and never crude. Such a rarity. Also Lea Thompson gets work so, yay!
December 28, 2009
hillo annasophia robb
December 15, 2009
Lea Thompson and Suzy Nakamura keep it together. The most successful element of the film is how it maintains confusion between the good and bad guys; even after finding out who's who, you're still left bamboozled. 'Boys and girls, this is not a drill. We must evacuate the building immediately. No running. Single file. And if you see flames walk a little faster, but don't run!'
November 27, 2009
Kids stuff, but it would be entertaining to a point with adults. It does have a good pace and Forrest Landis does a good job as Thomas. Not much of a budget, but it does pretty well. Not bad.
November 27, 2009
½ November 14, 2009
cute.. but I really watched because of AnnaSophia.. she's such a brilliant child
July 10, 2009
Very childish and kinda tedious - only for kids to watch. However there are some pretty funny jokes in it and the children actors are quite impressive in their acting.
May 21, 2009
It was pretty cute and most of the kids did a good job. It was fun to watch.