The Square - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Square Reviews

½ August 12, 2016
An old fashioned Murphy's law tale whose contrived plots points reek a mile away.
½ January 17, 2016
A square deal of a movie.
January 7, 2016
Can't wait to see this
September 13, 2015
Salarakkaat, rahalaukku ja täydellinen suunnitelma. Mikä voisi mennä pieleen? Kaikki. Tietenkin.

Asiaankuuluvan fatalistinen aussi-noir toistaa suunnilleen kaikki hyvän noir-tarinan konventiot, mutta tekee sen tuoreesti ja sujuvasti. Genretietoisuuden oppiaineen läksyt on luettu hyvin.
½ July 11, 2015
Early check it tomorrow, so finding this Australian gem on a Saturday night. . awesome. If you like the Coen brothers style noir you can't do much better.
½ January 24, 2015
I really liked the first half, very tense and involving. But the Edgertons clearly don't know how to raise stakes without invoking an absurd amount of (accidental) death and destruction. What logical human being read this script and came to the conclusion that the things this main character causes to happen are even remotely believable? It's entirely possible that the tragic ending will make you laugh out of disbelief, and that's really sad because it's an otherwise well-made movie.
½ September 29, 2014
The Square is more likely reminds me of Take Shelter but in a other way around. The story is about this guy Yale a constructor and a family guy, having an affair on this Carla and there you go. The first part of the story is a problem itself, though I've seen this kind of film before, I'm thinking it could have better deliverance, a better ending which it could have been satisfying, it just lacks charisma. A very good thriller flick to watch anyways.
½ May 14, 2014
Every choice seems fairly reasonable (if not necessarily honorable) at the time but things spin slowly farther and farther out of control. Justly compared to the Cohen Brothers' thrillers. I'll be on the lookout for the Edgerton brothers' next film. The short film "Spider" which precedes "The Square" is a pretty near perfect short; a little morality fable about the unintended consequences of a practical joke.
½ January 21, 2014
A dark as hell noir thriller, in which actions have consequences, in vein of Cohen brother films. The tone is pitch perfect, and the story never disappoints, with credible twists and turns that keep the viewers on the edge of their seat as we watch the characters sinking deeper and deeper into the abyss.
½ December 15, 2013
hervorragendes aussie kino
October 31, 2013
This little Australian thriller was hard to love because Joel Edgerton's role was small but despite that I liked the action in it and the excitement keeps you waiting to see what can go wrong next.
½ October 5, 2013
Intriguing, had me gripped throughout. The protaganist of the film managed to really get on my nerves as he dug himself even further to massive pile of s**t all for a woman! But saying that, it was a pretty good film.
September 21, 2013
another film that just shows how good a writer Joel Edgerton is! he writes films that make you question human nature and action in a way no other can!
June 17, 2013
Twisty and turny, and never seems to stop.
January 8, 2013
I can't even fault this movie. It just kept going and going.
½ January 5, 2013
Gripping but can anyone explain the relevance of the bizarre death of doggy in the lake?
½ December 31, 2012
A very good Aussie drama. With few big names amongst the case, the film is quite well made and kept us interested throughout. It doesn't rate up there with 'Animal Kingdom' but it is certainly one of the better Australian movies I've seen in a while. Good stuff.
½ December 1, 2012
it will b worse situation...
November 30, 2012
in 30 min , no interest
October 29, 2012
Interesting idea for a noir.