Squirm - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Squirm Reviews

½ September 9, 2012
Worms are not scary until you see them close-up.
May 21, 2012
"Squirm', Jeff Lieberman's debut feature is a fun, little horror film about a small southern town that is terrorized by aggressive, blood-thirsty worms who've become hostile becomes of downed power lines disrupting them, after a massive storm. Being a film about Killer worms, the story builds very slowly, details about the worms being a real threat to the town are discovered by Geri and her out of town New-Yorker boyfriend, Mick. The film uses this outsider-trope to it's advantage as the two are quite isolated in their discoveries about the worms, mostly because of the town's folks unwillingness to/distrust towards Mick because of he's from the big city. This is a pretty fun little undercurrent of the film-the differences/prejudices which exist between the Southerners and Northerners. This is definitely Lieberman's least interesting film, but being his first, there are still a lot of nice indicators of the director he was capable of becoming, particularly with Blue Sunshine. For once, Lieberman's use of music and sound to instill horror and fear in the image is used to good effect throughout this film, with music often being instrumental in adding to the horror of the imagery. The very beginning of this film is a great example-an opening montage of lightning, strong winds and insects becoming increasingly hostile is a really strong merging of sight and sound. It's not a particularly scary film but considering what it's about, it could be considering how many extreme close-ups of slimey worms exist. I particularly was a fan of the boat sequence and the stuff towards the end where Lieberman shoots some sequences essentially from the worm's POV.
½ May 8, 2012
This film was stupid. The ending made me go, wtf just happened?
½ February 28, 2012
It's a B-movie that doesn't make a lot of sense and is incredibly boring until the last half-hour. It's like Hitchcock's "The Birds" with worms.
½ January 30, 2012
I liked the movie "Slugs" better then this, the funnest part was near the last 10 to 15 minutes of the movie. Other then that it was kind of drawn out, trying to make a mystery when the audience knows the results from the beginning gets pretty boring. I'm sure these a fun movie with friends and drinks though.
January 8, 2012
After a severe electrical storm worms begin to crawl out of the ground and prey on humans. Atmospheric little film set in Georgia and definitely worth your time if you have a fear of worms!
½ October 25, 2011
Effective horror thriller based on true events!
½ August 19, 2011
Monster movie starring worms and terrible Southern accents.
½ July 19, 2011
First, I have to state one thing; I will probably be reviewing less adult animated films because I am sort of burnt out on them. So if you want me to review more, please send me some sufggestions. In the meantime, I am moving on to B-Horror films and cult films. So begins this review;

Squirm is a 1976 cult/nature strikes back/horror film that took 24 days to shoot in one city, and it is the debut of oscar winning makeup artist Rick Baker. And for this debut, it is a silly, campy horror film that only scared me twice; Once during the close-upsof worms with teeth and once wityh a character who has worms embedded into his chin. By silly, I do mean that the plot is stupid to the point that you can't help but laugh; powerlines fall into the ground, and the elctric pulses mutate worms to where they have a taste for human flesh. By worms, I mean d**tloads of fake toy worms that look like they were made of Play-Doh, and as I mentioned before, close ups of worms with teeth. It is badly written, badly acted, and has some terrible dialogue Example: "I didn't get out of that truck! I stayed in the whole time and I never left that truck... except to get out". And there are scenes that are so preposterous that you just laugh. One scene includes one of the character finding a body that was eaten by worms that still contains worms. So what does he do? He takes a shovel and beats the body with it before running back to his car.

Overall, the film is an okay cult classic that isn't much of a good start for my reviews of this kind of genre. However, this is one of those films that you should watch just to see how bad it is, because I love beautiful failures like these.
May 29, 2011
Galen, vrickad, väldigt underhållande.
½ May 28, 2011
A sluggish 70's B-movie about a small southern town under siege by bloodthirsty, carnivorous worms. An out of towner and a cute redhead investigate the mystery which crawls by at a snail's, er... worm's pace. The first interesting thing doesn't happen until the half way point when the worms finally begin to attack and burrow themselves into the skin of the locals, creep out of shower heads, eat people down to the bones, etc. The effects are actually very well done initially, but it eventually settles for shot after shot of huge masses of worms spilling out holes, ceilings, etc. There's something inherently funny about people running in terror from a bunch worms which makes the last 20 mins of this one pretty amusing. After the slow-as-hell beginning, Squirm ends up being a fairly watchable monster flick.
February 4, 2011
ok this movie was indeed bad, it was an old film and probably had some of the worst acting ive ever seen in a movie, however, the movie was great fun. There are parts that are so stupid u laugh to them but i dont care what anyone says there are parts when millions of worms are just spewing form every corner its gross and that is what makes the movie. To bad it dosent last all that long.
½ January 30, 2011
A classic for horror fans. One of my first horror movies, I think.
Not quit the same watching it 35 years later!
January 16, 2011
Hey hey! Klassisk B-film!!! Mark de biter var norsk titel og greier! Swell stuff!
October 19, 2010
Probably the best killer worm movie around.
October 17, 2010
I watched this one through "Mystery Science Theater" once and Wow! am I glad I had those guys making fun of it the whole time. Otherwise it would have been unbearable. So the movie itself gets very low scores.
October 1, 2010
I don't really like films from the '70s, but I love this one because it tortured me as a kid, lol. Fun!
½ September 19, 2010
Eww he had a worm in his egg cream. That's enough to put me off my dairy. I don't have much of a hate for worms (not like my girlfriend who I hear screaming while she's gardening) but these worms are fairly creepy w/ their screaming mouths. Ive never seen a worm w/ a mouth. A storm knocks down some electrical wires driving currents into the ground cause millions of worms to go on the rampage. These worms mean business as they bore right under your skin like that did to that poor retarded worm farmer Roger & make you a big WORM FACE.
½ August 25, 2010
Worms go homicidal after a lightning stormirradiates them. As bad as it sounds. From the man who made the equally inept Blue Sunshine and Just Before Dawn.
½ August 15, 2010
A campy and fun little film that really manages to go way out with killer animal plot archetype. Maybe you never though worms were scary, but you were wrong. Fishing becomes a nightmare in a rural Georgia town on the coast. Loads of fun for anyone who enjoys cheesy horror at its finest.