Srimanthudu Reviews

• Apr 24, 2019

Marks the beginning of a series of pretentious movies for Mahesh Babu.

Marks the beginning of a series of pretentious movies for Mahesh Babu.

• Aug 04, 2016

This movie gets everything wrong except for the core premise. Ends up being a formulaic, by-the-numbers yawnfest. Cardboard villains and expression-less supporting actors don't help either.

• Jun 12, 2016

My Grading Scale: 100-90= Top-notch, must see (4.5/5 and 5/5) 80-90=Good Movie, guaranteed entertainment(4/5) 80-70=Some flaws, but still above average (3.25/5 and 3.75/5) 70-60=Strictly or slightly above average, missing major qualities (2.5/5-3/5) 60-50=Don't bother watching (0/5-2.25/5) Overall Score (58/100) Story: 6/10 - New and bold for the industry and inspired from a Hindi film, but still manages to convey the themes alongside regular commercial elements (songs, fights, comedy) Themes/Entertainment Factor 5/10: Bold themes of social adoption and benefaction with action, songs and comedy are present, but not integrated well Screenplay: 4/10- Good during the first half when bringing plot elements and themes of social action close to the protagonist's persona and commerical elements, however a watererd-down and overlong second down with poor pacing is enough to bore the audience Characterizations/Acting: 5/10- Interesting protagonist and (some) supporting characters, but villains that fail to escape archetypes and comedians that fail to entertain Art Direction: 8/10- Great throughout the movie, even in songs Sound Design: 8/10- Good, crisp sound Cinematography: 8/10- A saving grace of the movie, revealing breathtaking landscapes of the Indian countryside alongside a good color palette Action: 6/10- Decent, but except for one stylish sequence at a wedding, the rest is familiar and often redundant Songs: 4/10- Visualized well but misplaced (in the story) and are boring especially with mediocre music Background Music: 4/10- Fresh and new but bombastic and often irritating

• Sep 05, 2015

A mishmash of many stories - an action packed Swades. Skip it.

A mishmash of many stories - an action packed Swades. Skip it.

• Aug 29, 2015

Uneven soap opera that's a cross between "Walking Tall" and "High Plains Drifter." Not nearly as good as "Bajrangi Bhaijaan" (best movie this year) or "Baahubali" (better than Lord of the Rings). Not even as much fun as "Dil Dhadakne Do" (which was a fun and sophisticated rom-com). Still, it wasn't the worst movie I've ever seen and it does make its point that the super rich should do something more positive with their cash than add to their collection of cars and houses.

• Aug 14, 2015

Most unrealistic bullshit ever. Its like feeding the masses what they want, 1 guy hits 100s of people. No goons have guns, lot of plot holes.

• Aug 13, 2015

Very very bad. One on the generic movies I have ever watched. I just wasted time, money and my peace of mind watching this movie.

• Aug 09, 2015

Classic modern Bollywood. I wish I meant that in a good way. Srimanthudu has some of the best part of modern India film-making. There are gorgeous locations. There are elaborate production numbers. The cinematography is first rate. The lead actors are super attractive. But the story is a rickety vehicle going down a steep mountain road with bad brakes. Honestly the basic story of a scion of a billionaire who defies his father in order to find his own way to doing good in the world is solid. But the twist is handled badly. There is an opportunity for redemption of a father, but the dialog is non-sensical. The concept that the use of force makes right seems immature. The role of women seen archaic. The fight scenes are like someone wanted to make Pokeman fights into live action. I have seen more subtle acting in silent movies. Honestly it is like a movie from the 1920s with modern technology. When I see complaints about major Hollywood releases being "the worst movie ever", I use films like this as my cringe-worthy benchmarks. I hope that this movie is some sort of allegory, who source reference was simply outside of my cultural milieu, cause if it is not some re-invisioning of a story known to every Hindu child, then it is just a mess.

• Aug 08, 2015

Srimanthudu works because of three reasons them being Mahesh Babu being used to his maxim potential, the role of Harsha fits him like a glove. The director made sure he used all of Mahesh's characteristics which have made him famous till now they are smartly placed into his character too look genuine.The other two reasons are the sensible story which connects with everyone from the family audiences to the masses and finally it was made sure the masses where fully pleased with some good action sequences, with some a whistle worth song or two too. Therefore a film like Srimanthudu is set for blockbuster status. But for me even though i read about the immense positive reviews about the film,I still found the story a little common and predictable. But what won me over was the hero's character and his characterization which I could relate too. And the films final message of how money is not the most important thing in life, how helping others grow with you is more important, it gives a real reason to live, and makes society move forward positively . We in the rustle, bustle of life forget about our roots.How people are struggling back home, it is our duty/debt to go back and make a change in any small way so we can see the growth of rural areas into a place where people want to live. In short after becoming successful in life don't forget the were you came from, and the people responsible for your success. A strong message like that is what makes Srimanthudu a winner. Story wise Srimanthudu tells the story of a man named Harsha, who is a son of a billionaire. His dad wants him to take over the business, but Harsha does not want too. Harsha is lost in his own world, he does not know what he really wants to do but he knows that he doesn't care about making loads of money, and that he loves helping people who are less privileged. He then eventually finds out he is interested in rural studies and pursues those studies, and doing so also falls in love with a fellow student. Through all this,conflicts keep on arising, and he finds himself heading to his native village. What is reason for him to go back to his native village, and is he successful in his reason is what makes up the the rest of the plot.To know more rush to the theatres. Acting wise its a Mahesh Babu show all the way, he rules the roost. He has been given an amazing character, and with it gives one of his career best performances. The superstar shines Shruti Hassan excels in a substantial role, she has has matured as an actor, and she looks the most beautiful she has ever on screen with this film.Jagapathi Babu and Rajendra Parsad impress. Villains Sampath Raj and Mukesh Rishi are the usual cliched villains. Vennela Kishore and Ali provide ample laughs. The only minuses in the film are the excessive length of almost 3 hours plus and the slow pace, at times the film story doesn't move. Overall Srimanthudu all withstanding is a blockbuster all the way. The way the film has class and mass sensibilities mixed together, with a sensible story, the audiences will come in hordes.The film has Mahesh Babu like never before, and after the disappointing failures of Aagdu and 1 this provide a comeback of sorts. 3.5/5* or 7/10

• Aug 07, 2015

Watch it with ZERO expectations and let Mahesh Babu take it from there http://rendumukkallo.blogspot.com/2015/08/srimanthudu.html