Stag Night - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stag Night Reviews

September 14, 2014
There's something about the underground setting of a subway that is quite eerie, possibly because it's one of the busiest places during the day, yet creepily silent at night. There's also the odd chance that you'll meet one of the usual freaky characters on a late night journey home too, but this film takes that to another level. Despite being somehow permitted to depart the train mid journey at some random off rail area, six youngsters are left isolated following a drunken dispute whilst on board. In trying to locate the exit they then witness the brutal murder of a police officer as he attempts to prevent some vagabonds from looting the vending machines. Once spotted, the criminals then chase after the students one by one, not just to kill them for what they have seen, but to kill them for a good heart meal. One by one the cannibals and their dogs tear their enemy to shreds using Jason Vorhees style machetes, until there is the token showdown with the final characters. Despite the title, there is very little relation between it and the concept, other than the fact that they were just finishing a stag night at the start of the film! There's also very little variation in the majority of the action sequences and other than one highly comical killing of one of the cannibals, most people are simply cut to shreds with a big bad ass knife! It's not as good as the film 'creep' which also takes place in a similar location, mainly because there's no suspense or build up to the events, it's just a gory bloodbath from start to finish. Unfortunately it's also a little difficult to follow given the dark setting and fast movement of the individuals, but given that all the villains appear to be dreadlocked hobo's anyway, I guess that didn't make them too difficult to distinguish. Not a bad afternoons entertainment on the whole, but a very mild horror with next to no jumps or scares.
½ August 22, 2014
Four men out on a STAG NIGHT in New York prematurely exit an underground train after the soon-to-be-best-man begins to hassle two women. Trapped at a deserted station these six adults become the target of a gruesome manhunt when a secret gang of cannibal dwellers, living in the tunnels discovers them. Tensions will rise as they fight to make it through the night with all their limbs attached.

I am almost ashamed that I waited this long to see "Stag Night". For some reason I just never got around to watching it until two nights ago. Wow. This film was furious and stressful to watch. In a good way. I first thought it was going to be lame because of the set up. A group of guys out for a bachelor party thing. Thinking it would be another rich kids on wrong side of town flick I flippantly sat down to this film and began having my nerves shot and my mind knotted.

First of the film is shot in a very gritty and visually dark manner similar to "Mimic". The golden shadowy glow that makes me think of candle light for some reason. Anyway. It becomes more like an urban legend on steroids. The concept of a whole barbaric and viscous world under the city were what comes down gets eaten is raised to a high energy fright train of a ride for this group of guys who along the subway ride meet up with a couple of girls and things don't go as planned.

The film kinda starts a little slow at first but as soon as they step off the train and release their error this little flick does not let up until the very last second of the film. The action is fast paced and intense. The drama is in your face and truthful to the experience if it really could happen. You would actually feel this is how you would act. Well me I would have worked like a motherf*cker on that d*mn chain and lock on the abandoned station doorway until it f*cking broke and got my sorry a$$ up and out.

One by one the characters are chased down and brutalized in a flat out gore rich pounding from psycho hyper-disturbed cannibal homeless clan. This is fear of the tunnel people amplified. Use to be rats, gangs, regular subway homeless and the occasional C.H.U.D. was all you had to worry about but now you have blood thirsty amped up cannibals ready to run you down and gut you like a pig.

The story was great. Little dialog other than necessary to convey terror and heavy on the action and violence. The cast made you believe every gut wrenching moment of there nightmare tunnel trip. This film is a great horror tale spun from urban legend that I am truly ashamed to say I missed when it first came out. Glad I took the time to sit down and watch this flick.
½ January 28, 2014
Killer hobos on the attack.... what a fucking joke.
August 26, 2013
A very decent horror movie with a good plot and acting. And plenty of gore themes, not bad!
½ June 3, 2013
Nothing but worthless
May 14, 2013
This was a lot better than expected. The low ratings made me think it would be horrible, but it kept me on the edge of my seat through pretty much the whole thing. And the beginning scene really got me in the mood. This movie is bloody and gory, so it'll satisfy fans that like that stuff, and it's also really suspenseful and suspenseful. It's not too scary, but it is a bit and it has it's entertainment through the beginning to end. And speaking of the end, I could tell how it was gonna end, so it's not much of a shock at the last second. But I do recommend watching it.
March 5, 2013
A group of pretty NYC urbanites get stuck in subway tunnels and are then hunted down by bearded, subterranean mole people (billed in the credits as Tunnel Rat #1, #2 and #3). It's a pretty standard slasher film, but it' had decent production values and you could certainly do worse. Nothing all that memorable though. However, if you're looking for a subway related horror film, you'e better off watching "Raw Meat," "Midnight Meat Train" or even Lucio Fulci's "The New York Ripper."
March 2, 2013
Wrong Turn NYC Subway Style
November 10, 2012
An average horror much in the same vein as UK's Creep... Set in the Subway. Not quite as good, but still pretty well done! Worth a watch definitely! More characterisation may have made me care more, but still enjoyed it.
½ October 3, 2012
A bachalor party turns into a fight for survival when four men run afoul a group of cannibals living in the New York subway system in this by the numbers horror movie.
½ September 2, 2012
Nothing much worth reporting in this low budget survival slasher. It's an uninspired amalgam of Creep and Wrong Turn except the tunnel dwellers all look like Rob Zombie.
½ March 20, 2012
Saw this late at night on my movie channels. I thought it was pretty good for going straight to dvd. But its the acting that holds this movie back.
½ March 16, 2012
This film was awesome!!!! Made me scared of abandoned subways
March 13, 2012
Always freaked out by tunnel people, well executed. And surprisingly well written. Extremely entertaining for a low budget slasher flick
March 5, 2012
Warning! Filming your movie like a your a jelly with parkinsons disease does not make you Sam Raimi. It does however make you a shit director. Basically this is a rip off of the far superior Creep, only the London underground has been replaced by the subways of New York. Its not completely terrible but its hard to tell exactly whats going on because as soon as the action amps up the camera is all over the place. I imagine the director thought this shaky cam style would add to the realism of the situation. It does not! It just made me feel confused and ill. Far to cliched to be good but not shit enough to be
completely shit.
February 15, 2012
Poor attempt of a horror movie. Avoid.
January 31, 2012
Generic and ridiculous tale of a group that gets trapped in the subway and hunted by canabals that look like Charles Manson clones. Simply dreadful!
January 24, 2012
All gore and no suspense.
January 22, 2012
Killer cannibal transients lurking in the subway system of New York!!! That's more than enough reason to see this, right? Not a horrible movies by any means, but it's a fairly decent horror movie. I love direct to DVD stuff like this, and if you enjoy it then I think you'd enjoy this somewhat. Oh, and this movie once again proves that nothing good can come out of being out and galavanting past 2am!!!
½ January 21, 2012
One of the most unoriginal movie plots I've ever seen! This is one of the best examples of paint by number film making that I have ever seen, ever halfassed cliche is in full effect and the gore is nothing but uninspired at best!