Stage Beauty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stage Beauty Reviews

½ September 16, 2016
Somewhat predictable, even with the film's unique subject matter.
September 7, 2016
It was just so-so; I don't have a real opinion on it.
January 24, 2016
Near perfection. The chemistry between Danes and Crudup is out of this world. I could feel the odds each character was up against and the struggle they both had / felt. Outstanding movie!!
November 11, 2015
Fascinated with Shakespeare, his Elizabethan contemporaries and Jacobean successors, this film was an easy Netflix pick for me. And, despite having hundreds of other films in my queue, I've brought Stage Beauty back for three encores (so far). I can't think of anything in this film that change would improve. Casting, acting and music are in the front rank of film performances. Heck, even the costumes are exceptional. Does the story seem a little farfetched? Not to me and the more I've read about the history of cross-gender roles in the performing arts an the English Restoration period.

I highly recommend this film. Further, I suggest forgoing your usual TV fare and starting this film early enough in the evening to allow you to see it twice. You'll thank me later.
DOUG out
½ July 29, 2015
Is it an oddball comedy or quirky drama?Either way the leads make it watchable.
½ July 14, 2015
A Film about Gendre confusion / identify which is a subject facing people everyday. A drag actor looses his job when the theatre allows women on stage. The acting is good, but they storyline not so much
June 1, 2014
Crudup was amazing in this movie and even Danes put in a good performance by the time this was all over. The ending was so powerful and brilliant that it makes up for the few parts of the story that lag.
½ May 6, 2014
A must see for fans of the theatre - and a decent introduction to stage-life for those that just don't get it (& history buffs too).
½ May 2, 2014
Drag actor Ned Kynaston's career is ruined when Charles II reopens the theaters and allows women to appear on stage.
The historical inaccuracies of this film are distracting, but the performances by Billy Crudup and Claire Danes make the film worth watching. Crudup captures how Ned Kynaston's gender confusion extends both on stage and in his personal life, and his scenes with Danes are compelling.
What holds this film back, more than its inability to capture the spirit of its time the way The Libertine did, is the film's inability to fully explore how sexually and gender interact with societal constraints. The film could be saying that gender and sexuality are socially constructed, but this theme doesn't reach fruition.
Overall, I dislike this film mostly because of its wasted potential.
½ March 28, 2014
That one scene where "Mrs. Hughes" says "no woman would die like that. A woman would fight!" Beautiful
March 15, 2014
Wow! Shakespeare and women's rights, what's not to love? Watch it!
November 9, 2013
I totally ADORE this movie. Very interesting theme, you can understand why the liberation of one thing (in this case women on stage) also was difficult for the actors being trained to perform as women. Billy Crudup does a marvellous job in this movie !!!
½ June 16, 2013
Movie about the old days of stage acting, when women weren't allowed to even act in plays. Basically Danes is discovered doing an underground play, and then in a string of events the King allows women into plays, but also bans any men from taking female roles any longer.

So it's the story of Crudup being this guy that has trained himself to act like a female, losing his whole line of work and then having to come back and help Danes be able to act; as she finds that her success was more for her being the first female playing a female, than her bad acting.

The film can take some getting used to, but the final half works very well. That final scene both us as viewers, and the audience watching the play, are meant to not be able to tell if they are just acting or the fighting is real. It seemed quite real to me.

Cast is good all around, and for those that care, I believe this is the first time I have ever seen the lovely Danes show some skin.

But I also know this is the movie that finally turned me off to Danes as a person, as her and Crudup started having an affair and he left his very preganant wife...and she then cheated on Crudup for her current husband. None of this has anything to do with the film, but I hate cheaters, so these two actors are not two I enjoy watching. So maybe they were a lot better than I thought is what I am saying. :)
½ December 8, 2012
Think perhaps I would not have like this quite so much if it did not revolve around performance of "Othello". Comparisons between it and Shakespeare in Love are inevitable and I think I like this better, not just because it was sans Gweneth Paltrow. Definitely an enjoyable surprise of a film.
December 8, 2012
Well-scored and backed by some good acting. Rupert Everett was amazing as King Charles II and Billy Crudup is always the consumate pro who does not get nearly the respect he deserves.
½ December 7, 2012
This was very clever where women could not be on the stage and how one mans jealousy. Slowly transitions to love and acceptance. A nice period piece with a heartful story.
November 30, 2012
Beautiful movie. Billy Crudup and Claire Danes are great, especially in love scenes. I'm not surprised they ended together ^__^
½ October 19, 2012
One can't have too much trouble with the acting. The problem is the entire story. You come out of it wondering what the point of it all is.
August 27, 2012
Caught this movie on Showtime last night and I really enjoyed it. Great cast with a standout performance by Billy Crudup, playing a man who plays women (in Elizabethan England). It is actually a little more interesting to me than was 'Shakespeare in Love" as it had dramatic and comic elements which were well balanced. Tom Wilkinson was great as always. Set design, cinematography, casting - all just great! If you have any interest in the stage or Shakespeare, this is really a must see.
August 5, 2012
Great performances by all!