Stage Door - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stage Door Reviews

October 16, 2011
Kathrine Hepburn and Ginger Rogers give first-rate performance in this witty comedy classic.
August 16, 2011
What an ensemble! A great movie with Katharine Hepburn and a stunning Ginger Rogers as roomates (not to mention fabulous performances all around), a lively story about the throws and deceits of showbiz and great movie! C+
August 12, 2011
A very good, well acted film. Lead by a strong ensemble of ladies. Saw this movie again as part of Lucille Ball's 100 Birthday. (8-6-11)
½ August 9, 2011
How to Make It, Fake It, & Break It on your Rise to the Top by way of the Stage Door.This has to be one of the best Ensemble, mostly Female Casts in the history of Film:Katherine Hepburn, Ginger Rogers, Lucille ball, Adolphe Menjou, Eve Arden,Ann Miller,& many more.This Film is centered around an All Female Boarding House for Aspiring Theater Actresses called the Footlights Club & the Letcherous Old Producers who try to pray on them, offering parts in Plays & Musicals on Broadway.The relationships & shenanigans inside this Boarding House/Social Club is what drives this film, especially Katharine Hepburn as Terry & Ginger Rogers as Jean & they are Roommates ofen at odds with each other.Lucille Ball is Comic Relief as Judy, Ginger Rogers is Cynical & Tough, & Katherine Hepburn is a Heiress trying to make it on her own without family influence, but seems to get her Role Suspiciously.Great performances by all involved on just how hard that climb to the top for an actress is.You will Laugh, Cry, & want to Hug your friends.There is a Price to Fame & Fortune is the Moral to this Story, not a new Cautionary Tale, but done with such panache, it's memorable.Delicious!!!
August 2, 2011
Just watched a interpretation of Katherine Hepburn of a repeated scene under a special psychological circumstance... and it was amazing! I want to watch it!
July 26, 2011
This looks like a very funny and tremendous film.
July 4, 2011
My favorite movie of all time.
May 28, 2011
I do love this movie, for a lot of reasons.
May 21, 2011
Although a light role, it's one of Hepburn's most enjoyable.
May 12, 2011
*** (out of four)

While many critics find this to be a revelation, I am not quite that positive. I will admit that it is entertaining and features a host of sceen chewing actress deliovering salty one-liners back and forth.

A boarding house in New York City is filled with a bunch of tennants who hope to become actresses. The likes of Katherine Hepburn, Ginger Rogers, Lucille Ball, Eve Arden, and the Oscar nominated Andrea Leeds battle it out for the best moments.

The lines come fast and furious, maybe a bit too fast and calculated. Still it is fun.
½ April 17, 2011
All this girlspeak is toxic.
April 8, 2011
Wonderful ensemble piece starring some of the prime 1930's female stars at thier best. Great, bitchy dialogue and real emotion. Great.
½ February 26, 2011
One of my favorite old movies!
½ November 9, 2010
Can't say much about believability - Katharine Hepburn's supposed to be playing a bad actress? Yeah, right!
½ October 5, 2010
This is the best movie about showbiz that I've seen from the 30s, I highly recommend it. Hepburn gives a fantastic performance and so do Rogers and Ball. If you're an actor too, you will be able to sympathize with the characters as I did. It made me laugh, cry, and feel for the characters and myself as well. It really moved me, that is until the ending. There was a scene towards the end where it felt the movie would end, but it keeps going. If the movie would have ended there, it would have been perfect. I still liked this movie anyway, I enjoyed it.
September 20, 2010
Most of this movie is just incredibly fun - quick dialog and clever witticisms delivered at a rapid-fire pace. Hepburn and Rogers are both very good, and the direction is quite good, too. I enjoyed My Man Godfrey, but I enjoyed this film more.

I thought the turn near the end was a bit too out of character from the rest of the film, though it did add some emotional depth to the boarding-house's overall character in the very last scene that was appreciable.
½ August 1, 2010
Katharine Hepburn, Ginger Rogers, and Ann Miller were fantastic! Ann Miller really blew me away though. This is a very nice movie, a nice classic to enjoy over and over again!
April 19, 2010
Stage Door, what a great title as its so appropriate. Too bad the film is dreadfully one liners. Unless you like snappy comebacks constantly, forget this idea of a movie.

Concerns the struggles of young actresses in their trenches, where they live. Truely astounding movie for its time. Essentially the unglamourous side of the theatre and realistic as well.

Although a handicap to have so many fast talking dames in the first few minutes, it will amuse only the deaf.

You will get to see a very young Lucille Ball, Katherine Hepburn, Ginger Rodgers, Eve Arden and Ann Miller. The snappy patter of the tongue wagging gals gets really tiresome in no time at all.

The male dominance in the entertainment industry is immediately apparent. So many gals, so much unemployment. And Adolphe Menjou? Give me a break. Today he would have been a predatory sex fiend.

Lucille Ball fans will be pleased to see many lines given to the young starlet.

Kate Hepburn is the same person she always portrays. Ginger Rodgers is quite different. There must have been a transition ... Before Fred Astaire and after. She carries the beginning of the film almost entirely by herself.

Eve Arden, later television's Our Miss Brooks, the ever comedic Arden we remember. Not much change there either.

4 Oscars including nominee for best picture. A morality play suggesting some things matter more than reaching the top. Rewritten so many times, writer George Kaufman playwriter commented it should have been titled Screen Door.

Better use the subtitles, the dialog is so fast you'll need the help.

I had to stop this film and intend to update this review on completion.

update:

On further review, it continued to suck.
February 3, 2010
Saw this a few years ago, and as far I recall, it was good, but I can't honestly remember much about it.
January 17, 2010
Very enjoyable, especially the lightning-quick rapport between the girls, most of which was apparently ad-libbed. Rogers, Ball, Arden, and Hepburn obviously shine; blink and you'll miss a very young Ann Miller. The tragedy of their lifestyle is touched upon with seriousness and sensitivity amidst the biting dialogue. Definitely worth a view for fans of the first four aforementioned fems.