Stage Fright Reviews

• Oct 03, 2019

3.25* This was definitely not my style of movie. Kids, musical, dancing... in a horror movie?? Ya count me out. But I ended up enjoying it! It's interesting throughout and it's so very different from anything else around. It's hard to call this a horror at times, but by the end it's a full blown horror, so don't worry about that.

• Jun 04, 2019

Some of the musical numbers were very good. Its more of a comedy to be honest than a nail biting horror. But it does have Meatloaf in it! I didnt even realise until the credits. As a musical comedy 4/5 As a horror 2.5/5 The problem is most of us are expecting Childs Play or Saw or The Conjuring when we think of a horror. This is a comedy - musical - horror. Blended. So a whole different feeling comes from fluctuating moods. Watch the credits they are hilarious

• Dec 20, 2018

Minnie! What were you doing? Campy horror flick that doesn't really make you laugh or jump. Takes place at a musical camp...

• Oct 20, 2017

Really enjoyed it! A lot of music with a decent slice of horror!

Really enjoyed it! A lot of music with a decent slice of horror!

• May 22, 2017

Stage Fright is directed and written by Jerome Sable, and it stars Allie MacDonald, Minnie Driver, and Meat Loaf in a musical slasher about a daughter of a singer that wants to take her mother's role in The Haunting of the Opera as her mother got killed by a killer, and that same killer is killing people during the production of the musical. I haven't seen this film in years, and while I remember enjoying it a lot, I don't remember how I got across, which I kept this on my list on Netflix for future viewing, and so after watching La La Land, that sort of got me to go back to this movie. So let's get on it as this is a really good movie. The acting is really good which I've never seen a film from Allie MacDonald before, which they were really good, and all of the singing voices are pretty solid. The story is pretty interesting that it could also be just a musical play that does plots like this one, and the songs, that were also co-written by the director, were actually really catchy, although the villain songs are very silly to listen to. You understand both Allie and Meat Loaf's characters about why they want to be involved with bringing back The Haunting of the Opera, and when it shows the actual musical, it's actually felt like an actual play, even if it's not Broadway material, which it wasn't suppose to be. I didn't find the film scary in any way, but it did get a bit creepy at times, even though it was more funny than creepy. The gore effects are surprisingly well-effective, and while it was obvious to know who the villain really is, you understand why that person wanted to do it, which is actually pretty surprising about that reasoning behind it. It is silly to watch, but it doesn't take itself that seriously, so I wasn't that distracted for it. Stage Fright is a fun film that while not a great one, wasn't quite deserving the flack that it got from both critics and users.

• May 05, 2017

Stage Fright's half baked humor and poor acting might scare away even some lovers of B-movie genre.

• Apr 26, 2017

The songs are surprisingly decent, but as a horror/comedy/musical it kind of falls flat. The killer was cool, but the lead girl is far too mousey and annoying.

• Jan 21, 2017

Equal parts horror, musical and comedy. Stage Fright finds itself in a rare category in that it actually works. It's smart enough to not take itself too seriously. It's funny and has re-watchability. Over time I dare say this could become a qualified cult classic.

• Jan 13, 2017

This is a far different film than the visually stunning 1987 slasher of the same name directed by Michele Soavi. This Stage Fright doesn't really succeed as a slasher or a musical, but fills enough of a niche that it will most likely build a cult following. Gore aplenty, musical numbers, and Meatloaf crooning a couple songs, that's enough to keep me entertained. 3 1/2 stars

• May 23, 2016

what a bizarre film. I did get a good laugh from it and there were some cool deaths.