Stage Struck - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stage Struck Reviews

September 4, 2014
This didn't work at all for me. It was too "Fairy tale hollywood". I think the main thing was we were all meant to love the central character, Eva Lovelace. Although she was very beautiful, she was very annoying. I can't believe Syndney Lumet made this one straight after 12 angry men. I guess this was one for the studios.
½ November 5, 2013
Susan Strasberg is the reason to watch this film, Henry Fonda and Christopher Plummer mainly provide the love interests and are woefully underused in terms of their acting talent, Strasberg however gives us a whimsical romanticist in love with her profession - innocent, but not naive.
November 6, 2011
good technicolor spectacular remake of the 1933 version which is better
July 6, 2009
An incredibly bizarre and captivatingly artificial performance by the luminously adorable Susan Strasberg holds the only interest in this cliche backstage melodrama about show girls, love triangles and The Stage. Henry Fonda and Christopher Plummer (in his very first film role!) are given the thankless task of trying to add some heft, but Strasberg has the kind of over-the-top acting style that makes you understand exactly why she ended up becoming a B-movie luminary, and her drunken recitation of "Romeo & Juliet" has to be seen to be believed, not so much for her delivery, but the fact that we're supposed to believe that it impressed a room full of jaded theatre vets. Incredible.
½ August 28, 2008
This is one of Lumet's first films and deals with considerably different subject matter than any of the other films of his I've seen. Nope, no gangsters, thieves, angry men or dirty cops; just a fame hungry actress and a guy with the power to give her what she wants.

Henry Fonda and Christopher Plummer are great, as is expected. What brings this film down is Susan Strasberg. She's cute, but really quite irritating. Her voice is grating, and even when she's sad she just seems so damned bubbly.

The story has it's moments, the Romeo and Juliet scene being a highlight, but overall the film just isn't anything paricularly special. It's not bad, in fact I'd have to say it was good, just not great.