Stagecoach Reviews

• Dec 27, 2015

An interesting cast is waster in this plodding, low-budget remake of the classic John Ford film. The original film was about a stagecoach full of disparate characters traveling though dangerous Apache territory. This remake is essentially the same story, but casts country music stars in the lead roles; Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Johnny Cash, and Waylon Jennings (who every time he spoke, I kept waiting for a freeze frame and for him to say something about them Duke Boys). There are a few old Hollywood actors in the film like Anthony Newley, Anthony Franciosa, and some of the moment actors like John Schneider, Merritt Butrick and Mary Crosby. Directed by the usually reliable Ted Post, this film's dull pace really kills it. Not worth watching unless your a fan of the lead actors. Cash was the main reason I wanted to watch the film, and he's okay in it, but I did forget how good an actor Nelson can be and actually made me want to rematch his performance in Michael Mann's "Thief."

• Jan 10, 2012

Inert and dull remake of Stagecoach. It's great to see Cash, Jennings, and Nelson in a film together but they can't exactly act.

• Mar 05, 2011

I watched this because Singapore Airlines had me believe they were showing the 1939 classic. In fact, I think that's what they thought they were showing. When it started out, I was still fooled because of the 1960s production values and I actually didn't know the original was done way back in 1939. Still and all, it was entertaining and you could do worse than picking this out of the weekly rental bin for a rainy afternoon especially if you want to see what a bunch of 70s country music stars come up with to remake a 30s classic in the 80s using 60s dialogue and camerawork.

• Jun 09, 2010

Not a bad movie at all. Instead a rather interesting western about a group of people traveling to another town. Yes I do understand that the movie is rather predictable and the stunts look like something that I used to do when I was a kid playing make-believe in the backyard, but this story has a little charm to it that makes you simile when you see Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson for the first time.

• May 20, 2010

Kristofferson's no John Wayne and Ted Post is no John Ford. Willie Nelson is no Thomas Mitchell as Doc Boone. In fact, he's not Doc Boone at all as they switched the character to Doc Holiday. And somehow John Schneider as the stagecoach driver seems a bit less authentic than Andy Devine. However, just think of the fun they must've had off camera, waiting to shoot. With Johnny Cash, Waylon, Willie, Kristofferson, David Allen Coe, Jessi Colter and June Carter Cash (and I'm sure a guitar or two) they might have been better filming them behind the scenes rather than the actual movie. Interesting that Mary Crosbyplayed Mrs. Mallory in this while her dad Bing played Doc Boone in the 1960's remake.

• Nov 25, 2009

Bad remake. It's got an cast of country music all stars, but the movie is terrible and Johnny Cash couldn't act. It's been said that he admitted that he couldn't act so even he was aware of it.

• Jan 22, 2007

I saw this movie once and I've wanted to see it again for a long time. I thought it was great, especially with an all-star, country legends cast. Willie Nelson and Kris Kristopherson have automatic explosive chemistry together that works to their advantage. Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings, though both have sadly passed now, shall continue to amaze viewers for generations with their high-handed, traditional, western attitudes and sharp wit and sarcastic remarks. June Carter Cash is sassy and blunt. John Schneider is incredibly hot and sexy as a driver and might have been bit hot-headed, though like I said, I only saw it once. it's not that hard to believe he plays the famous Bo Duke on the The Dukes of Hazzard (the original). Director Ted Post has expertly endeavored to make wonderful classic come back to life.