Stagedoor Reviews

• Nov 03, 2012

The observational quality of the film is its strength. The contrast between the various parents speaks for itself and is a social commentary of its own. Entertaining and sobering for anyone who has been a teenager or ever done theater.

• Feb 04, 2012

The idea of a film about a drama camp is a great one and could be very entertaining, but unfortunately this one is unable to keep its focus. I kept watching because the subject matter was interesting, but the students chronicled deserved so much better than this unfocused and dull documentary.

• Jan 04, 2012

I love documentaries about the world of theater and I had such high hopes for this one seeing as how it focused on the famous Stagedoor Manor. Unfortunately, this documentary just barely scratched the surface and was rather superficial in its portrayal of the world of theater. Their choice to follow five performers could have really let us into the mind of child actors and how the world of theater can be quite brutal, yet for some reason each of their story lines were abandoned and they focused on the entire camp but with boring results. I didn't care for a single individual in this documentary or with the camp staff. I guess I only scored this film three stars for sentimental and emotional reasons. Growing up as a theater nerd, I understand completely what these kids go through being made fun of and not feeling like they fit in. Also, it kinda made me wish I had pursued this more when I was younger. If you appreciate theater then this may be worth a viewing otherwise I recommend other documentaries about the world of theater (Every Little Step and Life After Tomorrow being excellent ones).

• Jun 29, 2011

Cant. Get. Enough. So terrifying. But I loved every minute of it. B-

Cant. Get. Enough. So terrifying. But I loved every minute of it. B-

• Jun 10, 2010

Sure, the kids are an interesting group and I love musicals, but I wasn't really drawn in as I anticipated to be. I found it very easy to multi-task while having this on in the background. The arcs of the story, if there were any, weren't memorable. I think this is a great look at what stage camp is like for those considering it, but it was nothing more than an informational documentary. Maybe a subsequent summer would have given them the substance they needed to bridge the gap.

• Nov 01, 2009

I thought they were going to talk about all of the famous people who attended this camp, but alas. I'm always fascinated by young people who love to/get to act and sing. If you like this, make sure to see the movie "Camp"... it's the fictional version of Stagedoor Manor with all of the theater drama :)

• Sunil J Super Reviewer
    Sep 23, 2009

I LOVED this movie and I usually don't do documentaries. It's pretty misleading to list all of it's major alumni like they appear in this movie because they don't but I enjoyed it for the drama and tenderness. I have a major soft spot for movies about kids at summer camp. Maybe because I like the relationships between teens.

• Aug 31, 2008

summer camp for drama queens.

summer camp for drama queens.

• Aug 16, 2008

surprisingly good documentary...it has to do with musical and broadway kids that are around my age, and i can kinda relate to this cuz im a part of Drama and all and i went to Camp recently for it...

• Jun 07, 2008

Fun! BTW, none of those people listed here as "cast" are in it. Those are just famous alum of the performing arts camp.