Stander - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stander Reviews

½ August 29, 2017
Interesting biopic of a notorious cop turned bank robber, a story I vaguely remember from long ago. Thomas Jane does quite a good job as the title character.
½ October 7, 2014
Fine cinematography and wonderful performances from Jane, Unger, and O'Hara.
½ October 2, 2014
Wednesday, October 1, 2014

(2014) Stander
BIO-CRIME DRAMA

Based on an actual person by the name of Andre Stander, played by Thomas Jane who was made infamous for robbing several high class banks all across Africa. It showcases step by step, as well as a suggesting a possible motivation for the reason he did it which is cliché to say the least, which has something to do with the suppression and segregation of African natives from white Caucasian laws. Andre gets caught at some point during the movie, and then escapes again recruiting two other people. All I can say is that it's strictly by the book which is no different than any other heist movie made before and perhaps after it.

On the commercial cover, it says it's like a Quentin Tarantino movie, but when you actually watch it it's nothing but... meaning that, one can almost predict everything that happened here. And I was also quite disappointed that I wasn't able to see the actual picture of the real Andre Stanton until after I went to the "Special features" which would've been much more effective had it been shown on the credits.

2 out of 4 stars
August 16, 2014
A captivating portrayal of a man's decent from one injustice thrust upon him to a reactionary injustice. The ride is always fun and the characters remain strong throughout. The directing and acting is top notch. While it may have lost sight of its original motives, it feels like such is the way of the character rather than the film itself.
August 14, 2014
While the film does over-romanticize Stander and his motivations, it raises interesting questions about why he did what he did.
½ August 9, 2014
All I need is you.

Andre Stander is a South African police officer that is ordered to protect his people by executing a series of unarmed protestors. He eventually cannot stand his position and begins going on a series of bank robberies in hopes of becoming a modern day Robin Hood of sorts. Eventually, Stander gets over his head and his house of cards starts crumbling.

"It's bad luck to change the name of a boat, even when you change women."

Bronwen Hughes, director of Harriet the Spy, Forces of Nature, Tangled, Earth Angels, Cutthroat, and Over/Under, delivers Stander. The storyline for this picture is fairly interesting and reminded me a little of American Hustle in the way it was delivered. The action scenes were just okay but the characters are interesting. The cast delivers solid performances and includes Thomas Jane, Sean Else, Dexter Fletcher, David O'Hara, and Ashley Taylor.

"Your mother's balls!"

I do enjoy occasionally watching a Thomas Jane flick (much like Ron Perlman) and decided to add this to my queue when I came across it on Netflix (I had never heard of this). Nevertheless, this is far from a classic like Scarface or Blow, but it is as good as some recent similar films like American Hustle and wraps up nicely. Overall, I do recommend seeing this film but I wouldn't add it to my DVD collection.

"Something are done that can't be undone."

Grade: C+/B-
½ December 25, 2013
a unique and entertaining little crime film. About an ex south african police officer who decides to rob banks.
December 16, 2013
This is an action movie I can get behind- interesting characters with clear and sympathetic motives, on top of car chases, shoot outs and heists. Honestly the pacing is sort of off but overall a well crafted film and a great subject matter. Kind of wish it had more of a stance on South Africa but it was fine seeing as it was more of a character film anyhow.
November 6, 2013
Stander successfully blends action and drama to give us one of the most mature heist films ever made. A very interesting film about a real life Robin Hood figure with a conflicting personality during the apartheid era.
½ April 19, 2013
The DVD made it sound like this was some poltical correct movie about a south african cop. Who has a guilty conscious and starts robbing banks while pocketing the money all himself. From what I've read about the Stander case. That wasn't the case.

The movie made it more look like his career was on a dead end. Because he wanted to quit riot duty. So he decided to rob banks as extra income.

You have to get used to parts in the beginning. Where Thomas Jane was some kind of wig. The second part gives a more tarantino-esque "Oh we are such cheeky criminals"-feel to it.

The movie would be better if they kept the bleeding heart political correct stuff out of it. But it was a fine watch.
March 28, 2013
One of Jane's best performances. One of my favorite films.
January 13, 2013
Excellent south African film! Such a funny & bold comedy. It's the kind of film that will give you a big smile for the day. Too true mate....
December 7, 2012
Would like to see at some stage.
December 6, 2012
Good flick..well worth the watch on Netflix.
October 31, 2012
This is an awesome film based on real life events and I was amazed to see that this dude got away with all this for as long as he did.
October 19, 2012
Stander represents the early days of what has been a very interesting period of South African film making. Great action and use of music and camera work to bring out the best in the performers.
September 1, 2012
Terrific heist flick. The ending is a bit of a downer, but that's almost to be expected from the genre. A standout here--for me, at least--was David Patrick O'Hara as Allan Heyl. You might also recognize him as Stephen from "Braveheart", where he showed off the intensity he carries through this entire film.
½ August 29, 2012
Don't be fooled, masked underneath Bronwen Hughes' flashy direction and upbeat soundtrack is a film that's repetitive and a mishmash of every other heist story ever produced in Hollywood...it has no soul of its own.
½ June 12, 2012
Tom Jane is a fantastic actor and he was give a great role to play with Andre Stander. This movie is fantastic. I reccomend it to everyone.