Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures Reviews

• Mar 16, 2020

it entirely depends on how big a fan of Stanley Kubrick you are as to what rating you wold give this film. For me, 3 stars as i am a big fan of some of his films.

• Jan 18, 2020

Glorious tribute to arguably the greatest film Director of all time. Kubricks oeuvre consists of at least 3 masterpieces 2001 A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange and The Shining, the best examples of Kubricks obsessive nature. The documentary is fascinating looking at his life through the eyes of directors, actors and friends who knew his work intimately. There are insights into how he created the film's and also a look at his private life. It's a must for any Kubrick devotee.

• Sep 05, 2017

A lot has been reported about Kubrick in the past, and it feels like the agenda of A Life in Pictures is to set the record straight (particularly in regards to his personal life.) In that way I think this film is somewhat successful. It has pictures and stories of Kubrick being a loving family man and perfectly social, instead of gruff and reclusive. However this film is not willing to stay in that niche, instead it heads down a familiar path and just walks through the career of Kubrick. Film by film it takes us on this journey, and because he directed so few movies we basically get a chapter for each one. It makes the documentary overly long, and it wanders into very familiar territory you could probably see on any of his films’ DVD special features. I’ll applaud A Life in Pictures for one thing, it made me want to watch more Kubrick movies and to revisit the ones I’ve seen. I think if they had focused this documentary a little more instead of trying to talk about everything it would have been better, but it was still informative.

• Oct 29, 2016

A fantastic look at the greatest filmmaker of all time!

A fantastic look at the greatest filmmaker of all time!

• Sep 06, 2016

An excellent examination of an excellent artist. "A life in pictures" depicts every moment in Stanley Kubrick´s life, with testimony of people who knew him, from school mates to actors. This gives you a more wide perspective of who he was as a person, and as a filmmaker. Gloriously detailed work from the life of undeniably, the best movie director of all time.

Joseph B Super Reviewer
    May 04, 2016

A wonderful documentary that acts not only as maybe an introduction to his work for those unfamiliar with it but also as a companion to his work for longtime fans.

• Apr 27, 2016

This is a fine tribute to Stanley Kubrick, but could have gone beyond his resume to talk about his intense personality and explore more of his influence on other filmmakers.

• Apr 02, 2016

As a biography, it's very much by-the-book, serving mostly as a Wiki page shot on film. It's subject, however, was so fascinating and made such a huge contribution to the world of cinema that, even the most standard telling of his life makes for good viewing. It's certainly a homage to Kubrick and if you want something a little more nuanced than that then look elsewhere. Personally, I think Kubrick's legacy is strong enough for me to look over all of the lip-service (or to simply agree with it sometimes, if I'm honest). What's interesting about this one though is that, due to his reclusiveness, no one involved really seems to understand Kubrick and we're often left with more questions than answers, which should suit Kubrick fans just fine. Even if you aren't much of a fan though, or rather, you just aren't that interested in the man himself- this film still gives some good insight into the making of some very well-received pieces of cinema and so there's still value here. Worth a watch for film fans but probably a great bore if you aren't familiar with Kubrick or any of his films.

• Dec 15, 2014

It doesn't fully encapsulates the true genius of Stanley Kubrick, however it's hard to find fault in that due to the reclusive nature it's subject, but this documentary does it's best to compensate with a fascinating structure and detailed interviews of the many people who both were close to the man and people privileged enough to work with him

• Nov 30, 2014

A somewhat ordinary documentary for an extraordinary man, this is nevertheless informative and entertaining if you're a real Kubrick fan.