Star Kid - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Kid Reviews

August 12, 2016
Bullied kid dons a spacesuit and must defeat a new nemesis in outer space. Too dumb for adults, too boring for kids.
½ August 3, 2015
I turned it on because it's the kid from Jurassic Park, I turned it off because the movie sucks.
May 11, 2015
A nice watch for the kids on a rainy Saturday afternoon.Nice little tame kiddie Sci-fi fantasy.
December 5, 2014
FUCK YEAH STAR KID THIS MOVIE IS SO FUCKING INTENSE IT MAKES ME WO WET UGHHHHHHH
½ May 29, 2014
High tech weapon is sent off to the wrong place to find a bullied wimp. Movie made for children.
January 18, 2014
The greatest sci-fi film ever made
September 28, 2012
a great sci-fi flick with laughs, and a gripping story. check it out
September 2, 2012
I remember when this movie came out I avoided it like the plague. Stupid title, ugly poster and directed by Manny "Dr. Giggles" Coto. Ugh! Man, was I wrong! This is actually a surprisingly great family film with some really good-looking FX. I'll definatly see this one again.
May 21, 2012
"A diminuitive 12-year old boy named Spencer has been hit with every whammy possible." If that doesn't sound hot, I don't know what does.
March 3, 2012
This is an excellent film, so good that I went to the cinema to see this three times as a little boy. Why do so many people hate this film; that I don't understand, is it snobbery or have people forget what it is like to be a kid. The story is brilliant, there is this wimpy teenager, beaten up at school and always runs away. Soon he finds a robot suit that gives him super powers and all of a sudden he is the tough guy on the block, but his powers will be put to a greater test when he has to hold back an alien invasion. This is a film that has great special effects, a strong story and fills me with childhood nostalgia.
December 11, 2011
A good story, it definately show's Joe's comedic side, but I'm not much into science fiction so I thought it was a bit strange. Very funny though.
October 18, 2011
Alright visuals and good sentiments make up for a few of the movie's flaws. It doesn't compare to The Neverending Story, but it's above average in the realm of children's sci-fi.
July 22, 2011
Despite pretty much being Spiderman from space, Star Kid is surprisingly good. It's not great, but it's good. It feels like a comic book origin story and contains many visual references to Spiderman, Iron Man, and Green Lantern before they were committed to film. Instead of CG, the aliens are mostly puppets, making the decade-old film age better than others. Spencer, played by Joseph Mazzello from Jurassic Park, is likable even if the plot is pretty generic (bullied nerd likes hot girl, becomes a superhero, gets revenge on bully while saving Earth). He plays a believable nerd and take-charge hero when the going gets tough, taking action against his aggressors even without the super star suit. Star Kid didn't make a big splash on anyone's radar, but it's a family adventure film that's more fun than most in the genre and superhero fans may like it as well.
½ July 7, 2011
Recently I vetted this movie for a middle school science class. I didn't remember the name but when I heard it described and saw the cover I said OMG IS THAT THE ONE WHERE THE ALIEN TRIES TO GET THE KID TO PEE OUT OF HIS CHEST?!!?!? DEFINITELY one of my favorite movies as a kid... however that was the only part I could recall offhand, which attests to the cinematic quality (:P) . That really is the only invitingly emotional scene, next to the bullying and crushes that are just awkward and painful. Even for kids it doesn't set very good examples, like teaching the exosuit that being vindictive is humorous. Except for the suit's face looking even stupider than the kid's, most of the sci-fi subject matter and problems presented conform very accurately with scientific notions, especially regarding artificial intelligence, exosuits, and extraterrestrial things in general. I'm pretty sure the organically based bad guys are based on the Venga Va or whatever bad guys from the Star Wars books. Anyways, I love this movie, even though it sucks.
June 22, 2011
Kid overcomes bully by donning a biotic amplification suit, until circumstances force the two to unite against an alien hunter.
March 6, 2011
This movie was coooool
January 28, 2011
What can I say...I was a Star Kid. VIVA LA 90's
½ January 27, 2011
cheesy...but not in a good way.
January 14, 2011
Worth watching (albeit only once) if you're a Joseph Mazzello fan. This wasn't too bad, and Corinne Bohrer seemed less annoying than she did in the 80s.
December 2, 2010