Star Trek XI Going Boldly to May 2009 Release Date

Paramount shuffles 08-09 schedule.

Time to make new plans for Christmas Day, Trekkies -- Paramount has Scrooged Star Trek XI all the way back to 2009.

The J.J. Abrams-directed franchise reboot will now come out May 8, 2009, part of a slew of schedule shifts announced by the studio on Thursday. Also getting the pushback treatment are Ben Stiller's Tropic Thunder (moving from July 11 to August 15 of this year), the David Fincher-directed Brad Pitt project The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (November 26 to December 19), Renée Zellweger's Case 39 (August 22 to April 10, 2009), and Eddie Murphy's NowhereLand (moving from September 26 all the way back to June 12, 2009).

Next year's schedule also received a few adjustments. Paramount announced release dates for a few 2009 titles, including the Martin Scorsese/Leonardo DiCaprio project Shutter Island (October 2) and the untitled Wayans Brothers comedy (February 6).

Comments

Admiral_N8

Nate L

Not going to be finished with the Trek movie in time? or just a business decision?

Feb 15 - 05:33 AM

Synyster_Gates

Michael Patrick

Dude, thats not cool.. But hey, the Wayans brothers have a new movie. Maybe this one will be better than White Chicks. And finally, a new David Fincher, Brad Pitt movie.

Feb 15 - 06:02 AM

DarthRage

Kevin Crawford

That blows....instead of 10 months, now its 16 months. I am enraged, insane with anger.

Feb 15 - 06:05 AM

SpikesInMySkull

G. Keith Cable

Feb 15 - 06:55 AM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

I agree with 'skull- I think the strike being over has caused everyone to re-deploy for strategic reasons, not because Trek won't be finished. I'm marginally curious as to how the math actually works for these guys... "Well, now that we have the writers back, we need to move THIS project to HERE..."

Why, Damm#t? WHY?

Feb 15 - 07:38 AM

Kevlegs

kevin Carter

Here is a link to a BBC web page about the putting back of the Star Trek movie.

Feb 15 - 07:22 AM

TheIceGhost

Harry Myland

The Trekkies saw that Star Wars decided to pop out a fresh movie for the summer and they thus high tailed it to 2009.

Haha - kidding, kidding. That does suck though.

Feb 15 - 07:36 AM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

Why, Damm#t? WHY?

Feb 15 - 07:38 AM

ManofStee1

Alec G

Weak! Star Wars must have scared them off.

Feb 15 - 09:11 AM

Shatter24

Jeremiah Rancourt

I would suggest instead, that the studio heads didn't expect much from Star Trek and were going to drop it in December, when everyone else was going to see holiday and Oscar picks, but then saw the early shots and how good it was, and said "hey, this could be a summer tent-pole blockbuster". And thus they moved it.

Feb 15 - 09:38 AM

darthvaderismydadgod

sam heaton

it probabally will be worth the wait

ps the god at the end of my name is accidental

Feb 15 - 10:04 AM

Unbreakable Samurai

Unbreakable Samurai

Nice, it's funny though darth. Freaked me out for a second when I saw Benjamin Button on this list, I've been waiting long enough for it to get made but it's just a few more weeks, so it's all good.

Feb 15 - 11:32 AM

Creekboy

Ryan Alley

I think Shatter hit the nail on the head...this is a going to be a better movie than Paramount originally thought. But just look at May 2009 now...May 1, 2009 you have Wolverine...May 8 is Star Trek...May 15 you have Angels and Demons...going to be interesting....

Feb 15 - 01:39 PM

Silverevilchao

Silver The Evil Chao

#$^E$*&!!!!!!

THERE WILL BE BLOOD.

...unless the delay allows them to touch up the movie, that is.

Feb 16 - 07:31 AM

reavus4983

Mike Saxton

Extra time to write Shatner back in.

Feb 16 - 07:36 AM

I_like_ike

Josephus McDonough

KAHN!!!!

Feb 16 - 08:11 AM

iakobos

J Taylor

SpikesInMySkull writes "Sound to me like a case of: "Ok, the writer's strike is over, now we can sit down and actually draft up a REAL release schedule."
Ditto that.

Although I'm disappointed, this could be good news. SW was originally scheduled for release Christmas 1976 but because it was bigger than Lucas realized they pushed it back 5 months to May and look at what we got. So, if it means making a good/OK movie into a great movie then I'm for it.

Feb 16 - 12:37 PM

Willy105

William Figueroa

They already released a trailer saying 2008.

Too late for a delay.

Feb 16 - 03:13 PM

~*Admiral Snowstorm*~

Dominique Amsterdam

I too was alarmed at the news of Benjamin Button, but it looks like it's nothing to worry about. Cool.

And what's up with Nowhereland being pushed back nearly a year? How does that make any sense at all? Are they redoing the entire movie or something?

Feb 18 - 10:04 AM

BrianInSD

Brian Gaul

Here's hoping it's AT LEAST as good as the last Star Trek movie that had a Summer release!

(That would be Star Trek V: The Final Frontier)

I'm also glad to see Benjamin Button is only being pushed back to December 19, rather than doing something stupid like they did with Fincher's last movie (Zodiac) by releasing it AFTER awards season.

Feb 18 - 11:00 AM

Trufire

Josh Hines

I would rather the movie be pushed back and be good than see it early and bad. But then again, knowing JJ Abrams, this is all just a ploy for some bizzare twisted ending to all of this. ;)

Feb 18 - 08:27 PM

Five Favorite Films
Five Favorite Films

Brick Mansions star RZA

WonderCon
WonderCon

175 cosplay pictures

Highlights
Highlights

Picture gallery of stoners in film

Summer Calendar