Star Trek Generations - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Trek Generations Reviews

July 8, 2016
Whilst featuring good performances from William Shatner and Malcolm McDowell, the seventh Trek outing goes where none of its predecessors had gone before - the land of weak.
June 29, 2016
Interesting transition between both series tends to work here.
½ June 22, 2016
While it was nice to see both original cast members and Next Generation cast members in the same film, the film's action, story, and dialogue really dragged for most of the film. Action scenes were sporadic and the storyline as a whole was very weak and uninteresting.
½ June 21, 2016
Little too bizarre.

An anomaly is found during Captain Kirk's time and a deranged man want to get back to it now matter how many lives are killed in the process.
June 8, 2016
While far from perfect, Star Trek Generations says a nice good bye to Captain Kirk and gives off a welcoming feel to Captain Picard.
June 6, 2016
Star Trek: Generations is the seventh Star Trek film and the first of The Next Generation movie series. This movie doesn't seem to be getting much positive feedback but for me I thought this movie was very enjoyable. Like most of the Star Trek movies in the series it only sorta makes sense. The story is probably the weakest part of the movie but the cast and their performances holds it up for me. I liked that we got to see the torch be passed from one saga to the next. It was cool seeing the original crew then after some certain events happen it fast forwards about 80 years and we get to see what The Next Generation crew is up to and its rather enjoyable. Everything with Data was fantastic as well. It was cool to finale see Kirk and Picard meet and work together for the greater good. The send off for Kirk I feel was handled very well. Yes it seems depressing that he falls at the hands of a bridge instead of in his chair in battle with his enemies but the subtlety of it I feel is what made it emotional. He was with Picard and not his crew which made it all the more sad to see him go. The movie gets a pass from me just off peer nostalgia. Overall it was an enjoyable Trek film but it does have its faults like every movie does. 4/5
½ May 17, 2016
Why kill off Captain Kirk!? In doing so why make it seem so nonchalant? Generations is disappointing and does not bring hope or excitement to the Next Generation crew.
April 2, 2016
This is bay far the #1 ALL-TIME WORST sorry excuse for a Star Trek movie that I ever had the displeasure of seeing. The lame death of Kirk tops it all when you count up the voluminous myriad of problems with this garbage movie. Generations is the Titan A.E. of Star Trek!
March 10, 2016
As Star Trek films go, this is underwhelming and poorly written. When they make subpar Star Trek films they definitely go all out. The film is a mess of half baked ideas and a passing of the torch feel. I just found this one of the few mediocre films in the franchise.
½ January 14, 2016
better then I remember fun and a great story
January 11, 2016
"Watching the fate of millions being settled by an old-fashioned fistfight on a rickety steel bridge (intercut with closeups of the bolts popping loose and the structure sagging ominously), I was almost amused by the shabby storytelling. In this film, the starship can go boldly where no one has gone before, but the screenwriters can only do vice versa" (Roger Ebert).
December 28, 2015
How right were Sulu, Spock and Uhura not to come back for this one. Star Trek Generations had so much going for it, and simply did not deliver. It so slow going, the runtime is 30min. too long, and it is just disappointing. On a second view, it may not be as bad as some of it's predecessors, but with so much promise behind this movie, it sure was one of the biggest letdowns, dispite having a good story and great visuals.
December 19, 2015
After the previous Star Trek TV series became irrelevant, it was only a matter of time before the TNG series to get their own movies, and sure enough, the producers decided that the first TNG-related film should be a crossover between it and the original series, appealing to the fans' desire to see Captain Kirk and Captain Picard in the same film. But, on top of the general idea of a crossover being quite cheesy, the producers don't seem to have done a very good job of it. You only see Kirk at the beginning and end of the film, and his crew only appear at the beginning. In turn, what you get is more or less in the realm of an extended TNG episode immediately following the series finale, except Generations seems to have quite a bit of difficulty sustaining itself over the course of a feature-length film, despite fine performances from a star-studded cast of likeable, recognizable characters. The main problem perhaps lies in how the film continues the common crossover practice of shoehorning the various characters into a plot that is at best mediocre, but other problems surface as well. The film starts at a pretty slow pace, slower even than the TNG episodes that are split into two parts, and the film itself is quite boring because of the slow pace. Suffice it say, this film is one that's strictly for the diehard Star Trek fans, and I say this because of the film's reliance on franchise clichés. It certainly seems as though, in this film, the franchise that claims to go where no one has gone before is going where the writers have gone so many times before, and that's just plain misleading. On the plus side, the acting, as I mentioned earlier, is quite good, but the script has an overdose of the kind of cryptic, pseudo-scientific jargon that's common in a lot of sci-fi. The film's lead villain isn't particularly impressive. The TNG TV series introduced a number of compelling antagonists, and even ended with Q, perhaps the best villain in the whole Star Trek franchise. By contrast, this film brings the series' two famous starship captains against a mediocre, flash-in-the-pan villain. Granted, Malcolm McDowell plays the antagonistic role particularly well, but his character is the kind that might just have been shoehorned into the film just for the sake of engineering a stable plot for a rudderless crossover. I sound as though I absolutely hate this film, but I don't. At the very least the film delivers in terms of sci-fi spectacle, albeit in continuation of the CGI trend that continued dominating blockbuster cinema. The visuals and set pieces are very finely made, and the film's slick production techniques at least keep things afloat when the action happens. However, I still think that this film would have been dead in the water without the cast of the TV show upon which it is based. The film's main strength is that it has a built-in audience of Trekkies it can appeal to, but unfortunately, it doesn't do much to appeal to a broader audience, and that is ultimately the biggest weakness of a film that isn't as bad as I can make it seem.
November 6, 2015
The first Next Generation film is unfortunately a big mess that uses a confusing plot device to bid a ridiculous adieu to Captain Kirk in order to give space to Captain Picard's crew in the Star Trek movies - and sadly not even its unnecessary subplot makes it worth seeing.
October 27, 2015
This is my first movie in the Star trek franchise.
The story is engaging.
The technology they show in a movie made in 1992 is quite astonishing.
The CGI work varies from ok to good in various scenes. For example, the way the launcher at the climax, disappearing and reappearing is ok, and the way showed planet Veridian was good.
The character importance given to the Android was engaging at the beginning but the way they transformed him into a human, making him cry was not required. It spoilt the essence of his character. Android David from Prometheus was better I felt.
The klingon Commander Worf aboard the Enterprise wasn't given much importance. Since it is my first movie, may be I wanted him to be a part of the action.

What I didn't like was, the story was dragged a bit nearing the climax, when Captain Kirk had to change his heart. It was lengthy.
What I liked was the main villain of the story, the Nexus. And how Soran was deviating its path towards Veridian.

On the whole I enjoyed the movie. May be I will enjoy all the episodes in the franchise.
October 2, 2015
It's passable at best,but it's cool to see Kirk and Picard on screen together.
September 23, 2015
The first star trek past the 23rd century
62%
September 2, 2015
While it was a bit slow at points a great cast and funny data made it very fun to watch. Also the last 30 mins where Picard meets kirk and saves the day was really cool and interesting time travel and made kirk a total legend
August 30, 2015
Worst Star Trek movie ever - awful
August 30, 2015
Awful. Kill of Kirk, Kill Picard's family, destryoy the enterprise again and also make data babble like a baby..