Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan Reviews

November 14, 2016
Best of the Star Trek movies. Great Story about revenge. Great Performance by Montalban as Khan
November 12, 2016
The Wrath of Khan improves big over the first movie with a stronger plot, more tension (even with the stakes not as high as the first), better characters, better acting, and an emotional climax. This is the Empire Strikes Back for the original Star Trek movies.
½ November 6, 2016
Khhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnn!!!!!!!
October 21, 2016
Easily the best Star Trek Movie of all time.
October 12, 2016
This film I grew up on at a very young age. James Horner's score of the Enterprise Clearing Mornings was my major introduction to Star Trek at all. I think it is a great Star Trek horror and actions space adventure with great morals.

Great Movie, great musical score by #James_Horner that helps drive the films action and get you emotionally invested into all the characters, Great Action, Great villain Khan portrayed by #Ricardo_Montalban, Great #Director by #Nicholas_Meyer, Great memorable quotes from Moby Dick, A Tale of Two Cities & everything. The only thing that I did not like was the creatures put in #Chekov's ear. #Kirstie_Alleys portrayal of the character of Saavik was Great in the Wrath of Khan. The other disappointment was that they were unable to bring Kirstie back for movies Star trek III & beginning of IV because she was better than who replaced her.

I think that Director and screenplay writer Nicholas Meyer deserves a lot of credit for this film making the screenplay work by picking what everyone liked and combining it all within a short period of time to create a great story. #NicholasMeyer making the Star Trek world appear believable with random life elements that do not necessarily add to the story but give realism. Nicholas Meyer making a great death scene, changing the uniform to be more militaristic, expanding more depth on the characters back story of #Kirk, #Scotty, Chekov, Khan than had been explored before and picking out James Honer as the composer to this film.

I love how this film begins with the simulator test called the #Kobayashi_Maru

I think that one reason Wrath of Khan works as effectively as it does is by the #fear factor it conveys by what you don't see directly but you get hints of. The music does a good job making the audience scared with anticipation before something happens. The music helps convey how threatening Khan is without actually doing anything but you are able to see what he is capable of doing through others, you see how he commandeered U.S.S. #Reliant, changing your focus to a rat and door and then McCoy bump into seeing bodies, or creatures.

James Horners score for Wrath of Khan is excellent. It is big and dramatic with military and crazy Khan motifs in between. It hits you at the heart when Spock and Kirk's relationship as well. It I can listen to the whole film score from beginning to end with the exception of the creature from Ceti Alpha V going into #Captain_Terrell and Chekov's ears to control them.

The film has great visual effects that are enjoyable to watch from the #phasers, bridge exploding, #Mutara_Nebula, CGI #Genesis effect, and space battles. I think that the visual effects and models still are able to stand up today unless you consider the shadows of the models but I can live with that. I also like how the bridge is lite up and looks in this film.

I think that if you look at the clearing mornings scene from the Motion Picture, Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan, or Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country; by far the Wrath of Khan version is far superior. I think it has to do with the environment that is made with believable lines that are in the background that don't necessarily add to the story but provide life to the scene like the check list playing on the computer com that you can hear where as in Star Trek The Motion Picture a lot less is spoken on the com besides necessary dialog. That was one element that Nicolas Meyer helped to contribute to Wrath of Khan was creating that believable world. Even with the torpedo scene just before the Enterprise enters into the Mutara Nebula seemed so like like even though it does not necessarily add to the plot if gave life to the #Enterprise outside of the bridge of the Enterprise.

This film does a great job on the sound effects creating a believable world. Much more realistic dialog and went back to what Star Trek The Original Series was at it's top of it's game.

This film uses literature in a great way like Moby Dick, A Tale of Two Cities as well as a few other pieces. That provides legitimacy and credibility to the film.

This film helped develop characters like Chekov being a first officer and see another side never seen before. Be saw Scotty with a nephew which had never been explored before. We see Kirk's relationship with his son and former wife #Carol_Marcos explored. We see the crew of the enterprise go up against real life consequences like we have never seen as high as explored in this film with deaths and the Enterprise but in extremely risky situations never been face to as extreme as this film shows.

This film may be the strongest as a whole. I can listen to any part of the film and enjoy it.

This film was smart is showing Khan's strengths and weakness. He looked unbeatable being an augment and using military strategy. This film did a good job of not giving too much exposition to his character from the television show which I appreciated because Khan is almost a different character in his acting in this film compared to how he acts in the episode Space Seed. There is a greater sense of his strength as a leader just in his costume and how Khan pulls his figure. What works is that we never see Kirk and Khan face to face. They are always communicating over the view screen or the communicator. They are never physically in the room together.

I also liked how this film brings up the third dimension. It is something that does not get discussed much even when considering most space battles since on Earth we tend to think on a flat perspective.
October 11, 2016
Phenomenal use of characters that makes these old folks seem relevant. Easily one of the best science fiction films ever!
½ October 7, 2016
Still bored. But better than the first one.
September 13, 2016
Es mucho más entretenida que la primera, el villano es mucho más interesante, los uniformes ya no parecen pijamas, aunque aún esperaba los uniformes reales, los personajes me parecen más interesantes, aunque no me llega a gustar como esperaba.
September 5, 2016
Great story! It's an iconic movie, but not the best directed or paced.
½ September 4, 2016
Saw this with the kids. It was better than #1 (more space battles)!
August 30, 2016
KHAN!!!!!!! check out the only film where our Captain has a character arch, this is the first time Kirk doesn't feel invincible and can't cheat his way out. He's undergoing a midlife crisis, he pays for the mistakes in his past, and looses his best friend in the process. um spoilers I guess. A film so effective it has been copied far too often in the franchise. screw you into darkness!
½ August 28, 2016
Still by far the best Trek movie, even today. Some of the best music from the movie series as well with a great main theme, not sure why successive movies and tv shows never attempted to re-use any of it.
August 19, 2016
I think this is the nest of all of the Star Trek movies - exciting, smart, nerve-wracking, funny, paying homage to the original series and it's most threatening antagonist, and so on. Loved it!
August 16, 2016
The second installment serves to be a better film than the first, now having great effects and a worthy plot with plenty of excitement. Ricardo plays a strong role, which leads to a great villain and character all around. The ending is somber and quiet, yet hopeful. Ultimately, we have a sound science-fiction space film with great performances and thrills.
August 13, 2016
Toujours quand mme assez bon mme si la ralisation est trs trs straight. Le rythme fonctionne, l'intrigue est l'fun, mais William Shatner est assez mauvais; aucune prsence, aucune profondeur dans son interprtation. Montalban semble compenser en jouant pour deux.
½ August 6, 2016
Much better effort this time around. It has a better pace and more action than the first movie. The special effects aren't as great (they even reused shots of the Enterprise from Star Trek: The Motion Picture), but you won't care, because the story is so great. Remains a favourite of Star Trek fans, but even people who aren't fans of the series will enjoy this one.
½ August 3, 2016
An old classic, the story gets you interested and it delivers.
July 30, 2016
Khan is KRAZY!!! This movie is BOTH intelligent and action-packed. Fresh new story brings tension and tragedy to characters we love. First class Directing and Editing. This film breathes new life into this stellar franchise.

Everything in this movie pops. The narrative, acting, special effects. The formula is JUST RIGHT. This film is the model which every Star Trek film should aspire to be.
July 30, 2016
Khan is epic in this, he's up there with Darth Vader as one of the best movie villains of all time. Kirk and Khan at their best. Great story, great pacing, great film.
July 26, 2016
More of a commercial, fan satisfying feel than the first...some dodgy acting kind of weakens it ( Shatner shouting "Khan!!!") and the effects can only ever weaken with time, unlike some classic movies within the same generation, yet overall, enjoyable. I just wish Khan would put that plastic looking chest away and not style his hair like Peter Stringfellow.