Star Trek III - The Search for Spock - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Trek III - The Search for Spock Reviews

October 3, 2017
Having been tamed in the last two stories the crew returns to its rebellious streak for a personal mission and while the execution isn't always there, it's clunky and heavy-handed in places, silly in others, the plot is about the best it could have been to get to from the set-up to the destination. This means the Genesis device is rolled out as a MacGuffin for the second film running and the details are highly illogical, the villain is one of the weakest of the series and the climax suffers as a result, but The Search for Spock delivers where it counts. More than any other appearance of the original crew this best carries their feeling of family and while some members don't receive their due, others have among the best character moments of the entire Star Trek franchise.
½ July 31, 2017
I can't help feeling a little let down or disappointed by The Search for Spock. After liking the first Star Trek movie, and loving Wrath of Khan, I was hoping this movie would continue the quality storytelling (especially since it starts right after the events in Wrath of Khan.) Sadly, it is kind of a mess. For starters it has Kirk becoming a treasonous criminal, risking the careers and lives of his friends, and flying in the face of the lesson that he and Spock just discussed in the last film. I'm fine with Kirk being a bit of a rebel, but this recklessness is extreme.

The classic cast is all fine, but Uhura lacks anything to do, and I was a bit put off by the recasting of Saavik. It's not that Robin Curtis was bad, but the change was jarring for me. Then there's Christopher Lloyd, quite possibly the worst person I've ever seen cast as a Klingon. He's an actor I love, but I just can't take him seriously in this role. He's meant to be intimidating and scary, but I just see and hear Doc Brown. They make an attempt to build a similar rivalry between Kirk and Kruge as Kirk had with Khan, but it never feels like Kruge is a real danger or that he really has the upper hand. Kirk deals with him too easily.

Then there's the titular ?search.? I can usually accept some rule-breaking in sci-fi, but I have limits. The idea that the stuff on this Genesis planet can create life...I'll buy that. Want to say that it's so potent it also can revive a dead body? That works for me too. But this concept of it turning Spock's adult dead body into a child, is ludicrous. Then he conveniently ages rapidly, and stops when he leaves the planet. It felt so cheap and it totally diminishes the emotional punch of the previous film, just so they could drag Nimoy out again.

Most of Search for Spock felt lackluster. The plot is fairly basic and predictable. The confrontations were brief and lacked any excitement. Even Kirk?s emotional side seemed broken, as he barely even looks phased after the initial shock of someone close to him dying. A lot of this film felt like a long episode of the show. The visuals were lacking that special film-quality style to them and the story was like one straight out of the TV series. This movie dragged at times, and had some odd moments (pon farr, for instance.) This being said, I still appreciate the cast of characters who I've grown to love, and I'm invested enough to watch The Search for Spock. It will probably just be bridging the gap between the second and fourth movie, but still I'll watch it.
½ July 2, 2017
Not as good as The Wrath of Khan, but better than The Motion Picture. This one is still worth watching, even if you're not a Star Trek fan.
June 30, 2017
Christopher Lloyd and Night Court star John Larroquette as Klingons, that should be enough. It might be the weakest of the unofficial Nimoy trilogy(II-IV) because Leonard was heavily involved in development of all three. He co-wrote all of them and directed III and IV. But it's still a solid Trek and the 2nd best of the odd numbered if you count the Reboot which is number 11.
June 26, 2017
This is an enjoyable movie. Good plot and good cast.

8.2/10
½ May 8, 2017
A film that only exists to retcon a movie death that angered many Star Trek fans, The Search for Spock is a mess. The first twenty or so minutes are inconsequential, there's a lot of padding to reach the feature length mark, the plot is weak, the bad guy adds nothing, and there aren't any real character arcs or interesting moments. It's a competent film with good effects and decent design, but everything else feels slap-dash and unnecessary.
January 22, 2017
Though not as good as the previous film, this is still a solid effort in the series and a great continuation of the plot from the prior film. It also has a solid cast in addition to the recurring cast, the score is brilliant, I like the visuals, the plot despite being a bit plodding deals with deep themes in a commendable way and it has assured direction from Leonard Nimoy.
½ December 28, 2016
I actually like this one more than others do. It has very few flaws and is a pretty good installment.
December 17, 2016
Christopher Lloyd elevates Trek III with a surprisingly good and beyond evil performance. Kirk risks everything on the hope that Spock can be saved. And loses it all. Very underrated movie. Shatner's best performance. Ever.
½ November 19, 2016
While it fails to reach the heights of Wrath of Khan, this is a fantastically done movie. The crew sacrifices career and even family to bring back Spock. And any time Klingons are along for the ride, I'm a happy camper. The final scene still brings a smile to my face decades after first seeing it.
½ November 12, 2016
October 11, 2016
Great continuation of the Star Trek movie series.
½ September 16, 2016
Me gusta mas que las dos primeras, porque esta vez si siento una aventura, más interesante, se enfocan en los personajes que quiero ver, y está mejor dirigida, las tomas son más cuidadosas y elegantes, pero aún así hay partes que no causan emoción.
September 5, 2016
Much, much better than it is given credit for. Easily as good as Wrath of Khan, just very different. Really well paced, engaging story and some of the best scenes the original crew get, especially Uhura.
September 4, 2016
Saw this with the kids. Better than the first two. Kids enjoyed it, but had to explain a lot.
½ August 30, 2016
this'll hold you over until "the one with the whales." stay for Christopher Lloyd, and that's about it. It could have been the most tragic chapter however it could not hold a candle to the conclusion of ST II so it comes off as forced and boring.
August 19, 2016
This is an extremely solid film. And a lot of cool fun with Enterprise destroyed for first time, Kirk's son, Spock coming back and so on. Deserves better ratings than it got!
½ August 19, 2016
Aside from the small plot, the third Star Trek film has a strong cast and plenty of action to carry its weight to lead to another enjoyable installment. Clearly no one wanted to say goodbye to Spock, and the film handles his revival pretty well. A few flaws, but satisfying nonetheless.
August 18, 2016
Intrigue de base et personnages aux motivations obscures. Christopher Lloyd est compltement sous-utilis dans son rle de mchant gnrique.
½ August 14, 2016
Just waiting for one "Great Scott!" from Christopher Klingon.