Star Trek Into Darkness - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Trek Into Darkness Reviews

½ December 15, 2016
I think there are a lot of angry Trekkies out there who disapprove of the amount of action that Star Trek: Into Darkness has, while believing it's a dumbed-down version of Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan. The truth is I myself have yet to see The Wrath Of Khan, but as far as Into Darkness goes, I thought it was an amazing movie in its own right, as it blends old and new ideas to have a bit of everything for everybody (whether they know their Star Trek or not) to like, just like the predecessor. And in many ways, I consider Star Trek: Into Darkness an even better movie than its predecessor.

The movie starts off with action, which may not seem related to the actual plot. On the contrary, it was quite important to begin that way, because that's how it sets the characters feelings and actions for the real plot. In comes Benedict Cumberbatch, who I believe was the right choice for the reimagined antagonist, Khan. He and his character are what made the plot far more memorable than Eric Bana's Nero (though to be honest, starting off with a new antagonist like Nero was a good thing, rather than bringing up an existing foe so early in the new series).

Cumberbatch delivers in manipulative fashion, similarly to Tom Hiddleston's Loki. His character also has a strong emotional commitment to back up his motives, and in that aspect, Cumberbatch's effort pays off. And I can't believe I'm saying this, but Chris Pine deserves an award for his performance this time around. Unlike the past movie, his role as Kirk was MUCH more likeable and respectable here, as his character is more fleshed out with depth, adding to his more heartfelt performance. Zachary Quinto's Spock also has a lot more depth this time around, while also being just as goofy with his "logic" as before, only even funnier. In fact, the humor in this movie has doubled since Star Trek '09, with Karl Urban's Bones as worrywart as ever, and Simon Pegg's Scotty getting more screen time, therefore exponentially increasing the amazing goofiness one would expect from Pegg. Sure, there's a notable amount of arguing involved, but at least the drama is believable. It puts the crew's trust to the test, and it also brings them closer together like a family. My god, that sounded incredibly cheesy, but you know what I mean, right?

The visual effects are as phenomenal as they were since 2009, only this time, we get bigger panoramic views of futuristic skyscrapers and foreign lands that truly look like they're out of this world. A few subtle changes here and there as well, notably the Enterprise ship going into warp speed, now with a new starting sound and a shiny disappearance, similar to Serenity. Even the camera work resembles that of Joss Whedon, which possibly could've inspired it. The action sequences are tightly edited and are exciting to watch, thanks to J.J. Abrams' assured direction. Again, he does cut corners here and there as the director usually does, but the increased depth of characters here as opposed to Star Trek '09 makes up for the speed. A lot of people seem to complain about the director's fetish for lens flares, but I actually thought he toned it down in this entry, therefore not being nearly as distracting as in his first attempt at Trekking.

And last but not least, the musical score is just as epic and beautiful as it was previously, but now included are some beautiful piano ballads that are effectively used in certain areas of the movie, adding to the emotions undergone throughout those moments.

With all that said and done, any problems I may have had with the movie feel left behind hundreds of thousands of kilometers as Star Trek: Into Darkness has officially become my new favorite J.J. Abrams movie. Again, I'm positive that this movie doesn't intend to be better than The Wrath Of Khan, but merely a different take on it and featured in an alternate timeline, while also paying homage to the original timeline. Those who're angry about it must have overlooked the characters that drive this movie. But I can't argue any longer if they did take the performances into consideration. Either you'll love it like I did, or you'll refuse to accept the new events that don't necessarily replace the old ones.
½ December 9, 2016
The brilliance of the first reboot film was how it walked the line between the new and the old, respecting what came before by not entirely jettisoning it, using to shape the new and guide the audience to it, but not being afraid to chart its own course. The sequel doesn't judge the balance so well, at times being so in awe of the past that it suffocates the present. The more interesting new ideas aren't allowed room to breath in favour of recreating past glories, which vary in how well earned they are.
Still, a lot of what worked about the previous voyage remains; the faster pace and fun new crew, it is not clear whether it is more apparent here that some of them can't hold a candle to their predecessors or that they are becoming their own characters, stepping out from the original crew's shadows. Some of them are given limited time to shine, but this is made up for by new memorable heroes and villains. The limitations of the new vibe do start to show through, however, by being a more generic, fast-moving action film with less emphasis on social commentary it is more forgettable that the best of Trek. The worst thing may be the lens flare, distracting in the last movie, here it outright robs some dramatic moments of their weight. It's by no means a bad film, just not as flawless as the film it follows and perhaps the cracks are starting to show in the new premise of repeating the series in a more blockbuster style.
½ December 5, 2016
One of the best films of the year!
½ December 2, 2016
Benedict Cumberbatch rocked it as the villain and the film was well done. The animating was great as well.
½ November 30, 2016
Relies a bit too heavily on homage and retread, some of the twists and conclusions feel too convenient and coincidental, and the villain's motivation is a bit hard to follow. I mention these things right off the bat because they're really the only faults I have with the movie. They keep it from perfection, but not from immense enjoyment. This is a spectacularly thrilling movie. Even if some of the conclusions aren't the greatest, the ride getting there is sure as hell a fun time. I liked seeing the developing friendship between Spock and Kirk, and even though a certain scene between them was definitely a retread it still had the emotional heft to make it impactful. Also, it's just a ton of fun. It's visually spectacular and has a great sense of adventure. The flaws are there, sure, but they're mostly just minor annoyances in an otherwise great movie.
November 27, 2016
Good for a sequel, but first was better.
November 25, 2016
Star Trek Into Darkness is a bungling mess that turns more into a war film than a true Star Trek adventure, all the while butchering the Wrath of Kahn storyline.
½ November 14, 2016
It balances humor, action, intrigue, and genuine emotional moments to make an enjoyable film. As far as the performances go, Cumberbatch is superb as our villain, and Kirk and Spock deepen their relationship, while both having extremely satisfying story arcs.
November 12, 2016
Though it doesn't have as much of the character depth that made the first so good, this is still a pretty solid second installment filled with exciting action, impressive visual effects, and has a more menacing villain than the first movie. A rare sequel that almost tops the first.
November 6, 2016
Some great acting and dialogue wasted on Benedict Cumberbatch's character in this thinly plotted movie. The last 20 minutes just made it even worse with the ridiculous Wrath of Khan switcharoo.
½ November 4, 2016
Ben dose it again. Grate all around but a bit long and sort of confusing. But over all fun thing and Benedict Cumberbatch is great and fun he visual effects were impressive.
November 1, 2016
Marking my 100th rating, and in celebration of the Star Trek Beyond DVD release, Star Trek Into Darkness is another exceptional entry to the franchise, with a reimagined look into a phenomenal villain portrayed beautifully by Cumberbatch. Looking forward to the fourth entry of this franchise, whenever it comes out.
½ November 1, 2016
I don't understand the disappointed reactions some people had after seeing this movie. It's just as funny and action-packed as its predecessor, again brilliantly acted but with a slightly less interesting storyline.
October 29, 2016
I've been a Star Trek fan ever since I was 4 years old. Now that I'm 30, I'm so happy that the show is still going strong. It is absolutely incredible what JJ Abrams and crew have been able to do with this series. The casting is even better reflected with this movie than it was in 2009's "Star Trek." While many people will gripe about the choice of the villain, I look at it this way - It worked for The Joker.

This movie was an absolute knockout. If you take it in the context set from the first Abrams' trek, it makes sense. The military build up of Starfleet after the decimation of Vulcan, the seeking out of the Botany Bay, and the incredible portrayal of Khan by Benedict Cumberbatch. Some fans may nitpick, but they're most likely the ones that never stop doing that anyways. 5 out of 5 for this Trekker.
October 21, 2016
While this movie is pleasing on a very superficial level (i.e. plenty of sci-fi eye candy action sequences) it lacks heart and soul. The movie is simply too far removed from the spirit of Star Trek for me to give it a good review.
½ October 9, 2016
Though this movie is my least favorite out of the newest re-makes, it's still decent. The plot makes sense, and I thoroughly enjoy Benjamin Cumberbatch's character.
October 9, 2016
it's kind of good but can't say I am that big of a star trek fan so hard to say
½ October 5, 2016
Another great movie for the fantastic great ervamped of this beloved franchise. Cumberbatch is a hell of a villian making a role of the malefic Khan!!
October 5, 2016
A good, fun movie, but drowning in fan service. This new Star Trek universe is great, why waste a film on a Wrath of Khan remake?
September 29, 2016
Satisfying space voyage and a pleasing 'Trek' movie. Can't get enough of sci-fi.....