Star Trek Into Darkness - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Trek Into Darkness Reviews

½ July 22, 2016
Mediocre at best. I am a Star Trek fan, but this edition is too much of an action-packed, loud, bore. Where are the though provoking ideas and dialogue that made the Trek so enjoyable?
July 22, 2016
Epic, action packed and featuring a great villain in Benedict Cumberbatch, Star Trek: Into Darkness surpasses the original and is a great addition to the sci-fi franchise.
½ July 22, 2016
I thought, that the Star Trek reboot that came out on 2009, was a one-time awesomeness. Boy, am I wrong. Contrary to popular facts, Star Trek Into Darkness is a worthy sequel to the 2009 series reboot AND pays a good enough homage to the old Star Trek movies. Action is still great and the graphics is superb. Particle effect of the warp jump is beautiful and shiny. Plot-wise, Into Darkness doesn't really get the trophy of having the most original story out there. Parts are predictable even, but the execution of the characters by the actors are just awesome. Benedict Cumberbatch is great as the traitorous Harrison and with Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto reprising their roles as Capt. James T. Kirk and Spock, makes this outing an even more memorable one. Despite the overall serious tone of the movie, comedy and jokes are still abound mostly thanks to Scotty aka Simon Pegg. This is probably going to be one of the better sci-fi movie series this modern generation is going to have. A whole new number of movies based on this new reboot would definitely be welcomed in this new generation and even something for the old generation to like. Disney, you're up.
½ July 22, 2016
A great film that is almost as good as the first. The characters, plot, and twists are all superb and the performance of Benedict Cumberbatch as the iconic surprise villain is worth the price of admission alone.
½ July 22, 2016
An exciting and breathtaking sequel.....with Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan makes the best villain after Heath Ledger's Joker...the 3D and action set piece are just mind blowing.....This Summer is getting better and better.....
July 22, 2016
****
It may not quite reach the heights of the first movie, but this JJ Abrams directed sequel still has everything you loved about his original reboot, however this time supported by a much better villain in the form of Benedict Cumberbatch.
July 21, 2016
Though it feels much more like a Star Wars film than anything Star Trek has ever done, 'Into Darkness' succeeds in most of the areas in sets out to, even if it wasn't the general direction most Trekkies wanted the series to go after a brilliant reboot in 2009.

Most of the scrutiny from the film comes from its handling of the character, Spock, and the unnecessary hiding of him for the entire marketing campaign. While the ladder is a fair criticism, it doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the film. Though I can understand a particular third act plot choice that felt like a forced homage to 1982's The Wrath of Khan, this rendition of Khan is still well realized.

Most of the credit there should go to the relentless performance from Benedict Cumberbatch. Not as flashy nor as memorable as Ricardo Montalban's Khan, Cumberbatch is far more brutal and deceptive. Even on repeat viewing, I found myself captivated by every scene with Khan, especially those which also involved Kirk and/or Spock. There's something about the dialogue between them that feels vintage good vs evil while also presenting such a tremendous amount of gravitas as well.

J.J. Abrams is a genius filmmaker, but I don't think he gets enough credit for what he did with both his Trek films. The series was nearly dead before he came aboard and revamped and refreshed the entire idea of what a Trek film is. Even if it deviates from lore, 'Into Darkness' is a really well made film. The effects have never been better and the way Abrams seamlessly takes us from a CGI or green screen landscape into an integral one on one dialogue battle is very impressive.

Though not every key emotional moment feels earned in the third act, it's nice seeing all of the actors start to come into their own as the respected crew members of the Enterprise. Scotty has never been better, Sulu gets more than enough time to shine, Quinto brought a new layer to Spock not seen in 2009, and Chris Pine feels much more like an heir apparent to William Shatner than he did in the first entry. To me, it was much easier to care about the characters this time around.

With all this said, there's plenty that I wish the film did differently. The Khan reveal and 3rd act mishandle of the infamous moment are just some of the mishaps that could have been fixed. Or even the entire subplot with the Admirals daughter, but I digress. 'Into Darkness' is a far better film than it probably has a right to be with a fun and exciting direction from Abrams and lively performances from the good and bad side of the coin.

+Cumberbatch

+Abrams directing style

+Great dialogue between Kirk, Khan, and Spock

-3rd act mishaps

8.2/10
8 out of 10:

It might be rehashing Wrath of Khan a bit but despite the flaws, Into Darkness is still visually stunning and has great action sequences.
July 21, 2016
Here is my Into darkness review I wrote a while ago:

Having seen this movie a few times now, I had to revise my review. It is a good movie and a lot of fun. It could have been perfect and as good the 2009 film (my #2 of all the Star Trek films) if not for a few things. Most of all they really messed up in the casting of Khan. I just can't get over the fact that he is absolutely nothing like the original in physical characteristics (completely white-washed). As any other new villain Benedict Cumberbatch would be great and everything would be fine, but not as Khan. There is no way to overlook the fact that the original Khan is of Indian decent (played by a spanish actor) and is now white as can be. I don't know what the film-makers were thinking. It mess up the whole timeline continuity and Khan who is one of the greatest movie villains of all time. There were also a couple minor plot holes that are a little bothersome, that I won't get in to. Despite the big missteps, the idea for the story as a whole and taking "The Wrath of Khan" and reversing the story for what amounts to "The Wrath of Khan Part 2" was pretty clever, but could have used a little more fleshing out. I am excited for the next movie, being that they are now on the 5 year mission. I like the movie a lot, just not my favorite for those few reasons.
July 21, 2016
Cumberbatch's screen presence is captivating as are the spectacular visuals and action. Add some well done emotion and, once again, strong cast and you have a really solid sequel.
July 21, 2016
Star Trek Into Darkness brings back the great crew for another fun adventure. This installment is a bit more action heavy. Cumberbatch is a solid villain.
July 21, 2016
Great and entertaining sequel that's more action packed than the first Star Trek. A.
½ July 21, 2016
It pretty unboldly goes where others have been before, and to some places it probably didn't need to (yes, Alice Eve looks good in lingerie, but I'm not sure it was entirely necessary to show us), while failing to trek to any other stars (quick round trip to Kronos aside). It's still a pretty decent Star Trek movie for Star Wars fans, but it's no Wrath of Khan. Yay split-second Nolan North!
½ July 21, 2016
Not really a "Star Trek" film. Full of plot holes, stupid twists and unintelligent story telling. Into Darkness, though not the worst is one of the weakest in the franchise.
July 20, 2016
4/5. A very solid sequel that lives up to its name. It's much less fun and much darker than the first, but it's still wholly entertaining.
July 20, 2016
It's like the writers turned their brains off when creating this script.
July 20, 2016
While I still find the humor to be a little cheesy and misplaced, Into Darkness is a superior film to the already good original with more vibrant visuals and setpieces, and a much stronger villain in Cumberbatch.
July 20, 2016
After several viewings its not only gotten better and better but has become one of the best sequels ever made IMO.
July 20, 2016
Personally, I don't think that the first one is way superior to this movie, but yes, it is better. The first might be more enjoyable, because of the great character development, but while the first movie lacks in plot development and action, this movie doesn't. Sure, you can say the plot twist is too stupid, or that Khan is not what he is supposed to be, but I bought it. And what I also bought is the relation between Spock and Kirk which, in the first one, was just an annoying on-off friendship. In this one Quinto and Pine really get together, and you feel how much they need each other. And why? Well, thanks to a great villain.
July 20, 2016
Fantastic follow up to 2009's Star Trek, KHANNNNNNNNNNNNNNN is awesome!