Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home Reviews

• Jul 24, 2021

Easily the most overrated and overhyped movie by Star Trek movie fans. After watching it, I realize most people just go with popular opinion and haven't actually watched these movies in years, if not decades. Don't let people oversell you on what is essentially a long TOS episode, much like all of these movies. If you like that, fine; just stop trying to label what you like as a "classic" simply for your own opinion. It really does nothing but hurt the viewing experience for others.

• Jun 18, 2021

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home is definitely clunky in its second act, slowly paced and lacking in true SF elements, but this is a different take on the usual ST formula that proved to be quite effective for the most part. The ecological message was beautiful, the character dynamics are excellent and the humor is charming. The change in period and setting made for a unique watch.

• May 09, 2021

The one with the whales. I've never understood why this movie gets as much love as it does, really. The score is just a bit too fluffy and puffy and the pacing is a bit off at times. I find the middle section, with the gang in the present day, by far the strongest part of the movie. Then the last 20 minutes or so becomes a bit of chore to sit through again. The plot of whales is kind of a bit of a stretch in my mind as a credible story device. I actually thought Search for Spock was generally more interesting in terms of the actual plot and also of some of the imagery of the film. Voyage Home is more flat and cumbersome to sit through and I honestly think it was a lot more bloated than either two fms before it. It might have been great on release in 1986 but today I don't think this movie holds up that well and again I think it comes down to pacing more than anything and unfortunately that may be down to Leonard Nimoys directing style though perhaps some of the blame should go to the editors of this movie. The score doesn't help at all either. It's probably my least favorite of the any of the Trek movies, certainly of the original ten movies between 1979 and 2002. Anyway it's not a bad movie it's just IMO overhyped and it's definitely not even in the top 4 of the ten IMO. A good watch but nothing fantastic.

• May 01, 2021

Most memorable and entertaining Star Trek form the original movies, Leonard Nimoy gives us another classic.

• Jan 23, 2021

I specially like this particular movie out of the series. I like the idea of putting current timeline into it. A foreign space craft is shutting down all power and sucking the water out if the oceans. The Enterprise heads back to the past to find a hump back whale.

• Jan 14, 2021

Star Trek IV is brilliant. Great character interactions. Interesting premise. The ending puts a smile on your face.

• Oct 14, 2020

this is one of my fav star trek films with it including Time Travel, very funny moments and it's nice to see almost a full movie with them on Earth.

• Sep 28, 2020

Not as good as Khan, not as bad as Final Frontier. Much of the humor is forced, but still appreciated as the series needed a "fun" episode.

• Sep 23, 2020

Pointless rubbish. Why exactly do people like this one?

Pointless rubbish. Why exactly do people like this one?

• Aug 26, 2020

This was a pretty good sequel. I really like how this film takes place in San Francisco.