Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Trek: The Motion Picture Reviews

January 19, 2018
It has it flaws but is an awesome vision!
½ January 6, 2018
Modern audiences will get some quality shut-eye during this flick, although they miss a few interesting scenes along the way.
December 21, 2017
A 2 hour pilot episode is what it feels like and is what it was. Never really intended to be a movie.
December 17, 2017
This film has aged with with the decades ... Intelligent storyline ... Sci Fi Classic
½ November 30, 2017
Most people consider this movie to be slow-paced and boring, but they don't notice the amazing visual effects (especially for the time) and top-notch soundtrack. Despite the low ratings it has, I still like it, and Gene Roddenberry (the CREATOR of Star Trek) was at the helm.
November 18, 2017
Now this is Star Trek, not that 2009 reboot piece of $hit. This really looks like a Motion Picture, Special effects were good & the story is interesting, it's such a wonderful start to the original 10 films.
½ November 8, 2017
A misunderstood and unappreciated piece of authentic science fiction. The first feature film from this franchise has an interesting and thought-provoking story while showing off impressive special effects.
½ October 28, 2017
i like this love the music love the 70s vibe lol the real problem is that the film was an episode that was stretched out realllly long
October 25, 2017
Maybe just a little bit too cerebral but this movie has a big heart and a majestic and glorious elegance. One of the best science fiction movies ever.
October 7, 2017
One of the best series of all time
September 27, 2017
Saw first movie only at AGE 12; 1979!!!!
September 10, 2017
I think this is a great film debut of our favorite characters. Feels a whole lot like you're watching a very artistic and visually stunning episode of The Original Series. The dialogue and sweeping visuals are a real treat and Jerry Goldsmith's soundtrack is beautiful and timeless.
½ August 27, 2017
Not a bad movie by any means but not that great, it sometimes feel like its trying to imitate 2001: A Space Odyssey instead of be a Star Trek film, and is a let down for both the franchise and for filmmaking legend Robert Wise.
August 3, 2017
The worst part about this movie is that the character's never actually do anything to advance the plot. All of their dialogue is reserved to petty squabbles and technobabble, and the film is too interested in its own special effects to even bother with letting them do much more than sit around and watch. Most of the movie is just shots of the Enterprise floating around in space and the crew looking on in awe, while we, the audience, would much rather be watching Star Wars.
½ July 30, 2017
It's pretty easy to see why Star Trek: The Motion Picture is one of the more divisive movies in the franchise. I mean, it has those familiar and beloved characters, it has a story that feels very reminiscent of the classic series, so what's not to love? Well, it has a pace roughly equivalent to the speed of a 200-year-old tortoise. It takes almost 15 minutes of dialogue-free shots just for Kirk to board the Enterprise in this film, and that's just the tip of the slow-moving iceberg. So honestly I can understand anyone who takes either side on this film, love or hate.

For me it hit a nice middle ground...I enjoyed it. The slow scenes, particularly at the beginning, almost seemed to be a way for director Robert Wise to slowly welcome audiences back to this franchise that had gone away for 10 years and to show off what he could do with a movie budget that could never happen on that show. The visuals are definitely something special in Star Trek: The Motion Picture. The models are amazing and feel as good or better than any created through CGI in the later films. I was wowed by all the visuals and loved how the score added to it.

The story is fairly simple, but it works in a Star Trek setting. I was fascinated by the mystery of what Vger was doing and why it was doing these things. I kept trying to guess how they would resolve the story. The film even had a twist I didn't see coming, which is a big shock that I haven't had the ending spoiled for a 40-year-old franchise movie. It is a bit too long and slow, which makes it one I don't think I'll rewatch all that often. I also thought many of the characters didn?t have much to do in the movie. It's great to bring back that familiar cast (I even tolerated them awkwardly bringing Spock out of nowhere) but I wanted each person to have a purpose. Still it's a solid movie, and apparently I'm able to forgive some flaws when it's in a franchise I like.
July 25, 2017
The effects hold up, but the dialogue is cheese, and is so BORING. But it makes Wrath of Khan look even better than it is, so there's that.
July 2, 2017
Its visual effects are impressive for 1979, but its uninteresting plot and hardly no tension whatsoever make it feel like a 50 minute TV episode stretched to a 130 minute movie.
½ June 27, 2017
C-
Star Trek the Motion Picture is an average film that... zzzzzzzzz
June 26, 2017
This movie is so BORING! It is boring and forgettable. They could have edited out a lot of this movie.

1.5/10
June 13, 2017
It's hard for me to give a Star Trek movie anything lower than 3 stars because I enjoy all of them. Because even the bad ones have some good and some really good, even if the story fails it. In this case the good is in the Jerry Goldsmith score and the beautiful Enterprise. The really good in the wonderful chemistry between Shatner, Nimoy and Kelly. But it fails because while it is gorgeous to look at, it's really slow and boring. They stretched a 44 minute episode story into a 2 hour and 12 minute movie. Plus, while Holy Trio Kirk, Spock and McCoy got a lot today, Uhura, Scotty, Sulu, and Checkov were severely underused. Time they should've gotten instead of the stupid love story between Decker and Iliya, two characters that have had no impact on the greater Star Trek universe.