Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Trek: The Motion Picture Reviews

December 29, 2016
a movie that only cared about its special effects not its story that equals to a bull crap movie
½ December 28, 2016
If it were faster paced, the new/side characters were better developed, and Kirk wasn't as incompetent, this would be a pretty solid beginning for the Star Trek film series, given that it has a very interesting plot.
December 25, 2016
The worst part about this movie is that the character's never actually do anything to advance the plot. All of their dialogue is reserved to petty squabbles and technobabble, and the film is too interested in its own special effects to even bother with letting them do much more than sit around and watch. Most of the movie is just shots of the Enterprise floating around in space and the crew looking on in awe.
December 23, 2016
The main problem with this first Star Trek film is that it is not original at all and looks more like a stretched TV episode that tries too hard to be 2001: A Space Odyssey, dragging endlessly in long, contemplative scenes that seem to exist only to show the higher budget.
½ November 19, 2016
Way too cerebral and brainy for its own good. Somewhere here could've been a really good movie. The production design is impeccable and the performances are fine. The issues are with the script and pacing. Its more than a little disappointing that Trek fans waited so long after the show was cancelled to see these characters again, and this was what they got.
November 12, 2016
While its visual effects are impressive for 1979, its uninteresting plot and hardly no tension whatsoever makes it feel like a 50 minute TV episode stretched to a 130 minute movie.
½ October 11, 2016
The story feels like it was meant for the TV series. More focus on special effects and spectacle, vs a strong and engaging story. Still an enjoyable spectacle with an amazing score.
½ September 5, 2016
Beautiful aesthetic but oh so boring.
½ September 4, 2016
Saw this with the kids. It was boring.
September 4, 2016
Muy aburrida, no es lo que esperaba de Star Trek, escenas muy largas que fácilmente se podrían recortar y generar el mismo impacto, los uniformes no me gustaron, parecían pijamas, nada como los uniformes que todos conocemos.
August 30, 2016
Star Trek the slow motion picture. it's basically a mix of the TOS episode the Immunity Syndrome and 2001 a space odyssey. Interesting fan theory, we are witnessing the birth of the Borg, the merging of man and machine, the realization of perfection and finding the higher purpose that V'ger sought.
½ August 29, 2016
Routinely hated for it's costumes and pace... the story of a human-made machine, achieving consciousness and returning to Earth searching for its creator, is the truest Trek film in theme to the original TV series to date.
August 19, 2016
A little slow, but man was I happy to have Star Trek back when this came out - gave it Four Stars because the series and franchise were GONR for a ten years maybe to never come back. A full screen movie was a very bold leap/re-introduction back then. Thank you!
½ August 16, 2016
The first Star Trek movie is pretty in-line with the show- tho as a result, it feels like a extended, more expensive episode. There isn't too much to the story, but there are some good parts, and some good tho paced-out dialog. The film's biggest problem is the endless artistic pandering, as there are so many endless scenes of scenery and pretty music that slow the plot down and makes you a bit impatient. Otherwise, it's a beautiful film with some great effects.
½ August 12, 2016
It's not the best in the series, but it was first. I think that Star Trek needed this big budget treatment for the following, and better films, to be taken more seriously. On that level, it worked. The final thirty minutes is good. However, the main draw for this motion picture are the sights and sounds. It is a feast for the eyes and ears. One other thing, though. I was in high school when this movie came out. My friends and I were so excited that Star Trek was going to the big screen. The crew could have done needle point for two hours and we probably would have loved it. That memory and feeling more than anything else endears the movie to me.
½ August 8, 2016
I think This movie gets a bad wrap because it's not as action packed as most of the other Star Trek movies are. A lot of people find this movie boring, and I can understand where they're coming from, but, personally, I love Star Trek: The Motion Picture, maybe even more than Wrath of Khan (Yup, I said it). Maybe it's because before I saw it I heard from a critic that liked the movie that he saw this as Star Trek's answer to 2001: A Space Odyssey, and maybe I saw it the same way. So if you the reader have never seen Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Think of it like Star Trek's answer to 2001: A Space Odyssey. The movie does have a few things that bug me, though. There are a handful of VFX shots that are VERY dated, and the costumes are not at all what they were in the show. That is pretty much it for me. I would totally recommend this one.
August 8, 2016
The first trek film has one of the most interesting stories in the series. I like the idea of this space probe developing a life of it own and desiring to learn and know its creator or God. The 2001 director's cut is a huge improvement, especially with editing and special effects. It also dated better than its sequels. The 2001 edition looks like it could have been made today, while the sequels have an 80s feel to them.
½ August 3, 2016
I think they were trying to hard and came up with kind of a mess. The first movie was not that good but they make up for it in the next movie.
July 31, 2016
Possibly the worst Star Trek movie. The first 30 minutes were okay, even though there was a long unnecessary shot of the Enterprise.. I like the idea of Voyager coming back to Earth, but everything happens slowly. When they encounter the probe, there is a lot of staring at the view screen, and long shots of the Enterprise traveling to the heart of the probe. The special effects are pretty good for 1979, but that's all this movie has going for it, and I couldn't recommend it, especially to people who aren't into Star Trek.
July 30, 2016
Bad movie. Cheesy, even for 1979. Incomprehensible about the content in the movie