Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Trek: The Motion Picture Reviews

½ September 5, 2016
Beautiful aesthetic but oh so boring.
½ September 4, 2016
Saw this with the kids. It was boring.
September 4, 2016
Muy aburrida, no es lo que esperaba de Star Trek, escenas muy largas que fácilmente se podrían recortar y generar el mismo impacto, los uniformes no me gustaron, parecían pijamas, nada como los uniformes que todos conocemos.
August 30, 2016
Star Trek the slow motion picture. it's basically a mix of the TOS episode the Immunity Syndrome and 2001 a space odyssey. Interesting fan theory, we are witnessing the birth of the Borg, the merging of man and machine, the realization of perfection and finding the higher purpose that V'ger sought.
½ August 29, 2016
Routinely hated for it's costumes and pace... the story of a human-made machine, achieving consciousness and returning to Earth searching for its creator, is the truest Trek film in theme to the original TV series to date.
August 19, 2016
A little slow, but man was I happy to have Star Trek back when this came out - gave it Four Stars because the series and franchise were GONR for a ten years maybe to never come back. A full screen movie was a very bold leap/re-introduction back then. Thank you!
½ August 16, 2016
The first Star Trek movie is pretty in-line with the show- tho as a result, it feels like a extended, more expensive episode. There isn't too much to the story, but there are some good parts, and some good tho paced-out dialog. The film's biggest problem is the endless artistic pandering, as there are so many endless scenes of scenery and pretty music that slow the plot down and makes you a bit impatient. Otherwise, it's a beautiful film with some great effects.
½ August 12, 2016
It's not the best in the series, but it was first. I think that Star Trek needed this big budget treatment for the following, and better films, to be taken more seriously. On that level, it worked. The final thirty minutes is good. However, the main draw for this motion picture are the sights and sounds. It is a feast for the eyes and ears. One other thing, though. I was in high school when this movie came out. My friends and I were so excited that Star Trek was going to the big screen. The crew could have done needle point for two hours and we probably would have loved it. That memory and feeling more than anything else endears the movie to me.
½ August 8, 2016
I think This movie gets a bad wrap because it's not as action packed as most of the other Star Trek movies are. A lot of people find this movie boring, and I can understand where they're coming from, but, personally, I love Star Trek: The Motion Picture, maybe even more than Wrath of Khan (Yup, I said it). Maybe it's because before I saw it I heard from a critic that liked the movie that he saw this as Star Trek's answer to 2001: A Space Odyssey, and maybe I saw it the same way. So if you the reader have never seen Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Think of it like Star Trek's answer to 2001: A Space Odyssey. The movie does have a few things that bug me, though. There are a handful of VFX shots that are VERY dated, and the costumes are not at all what they were in the show. That is pretty much it for me. I would totally recommend this one.
August 8, 2016
The first trek film has one of the most interesting stories in the series. I like the idea of this space probe developing a life of it own and desiring to learn and know its creator or God. The 2001 director's cut is a huge improvement, especially with editing and special effects. It also dated better than its sequels. The 2001 edition looks like it could have been made today, while the sequels have an 80s feel to them.
½ August 3, 2016
I think they were trying to hard and came up with kind of a mess. The first movie was not that good but they make up for it in the next movie.
July 31, 2016
Possibly the worst Star Trek movie. The first 30 minutes were okay, even though there was a long unnecessary shot of the Enterprise.. I like the idea of Voyager coming back to Earth, but everything happens slowly. When they encounter the probe, there is a lot of staring at the view screen, and long shots of the Enterprise traveling to the heart of the probe. The special effects are pretty good for 1979, but that's all this movie has going for it, and I couldn't recommend it, especially to people who aren't into Star Trek.
July 30, 2016
Bad movie. Cheesy, even for 1979. Incomprehensible about the content in the movie
July 24, 2016
Not bad, but too long, too ambitious for it's own good and the storyline was, for me, too in depth for entertainment Sci-Fi...
July 21, 2016
The first big screen outing for the Trek doesn't quite ditch the campiness of the original series, although it does start to show the series' transition to more mature, darker themes.

Sadly though it doesn't all quite come together, you have an enjoyable and often daft Sci fi romp, but with a patchy storyline and quite possibly the most bizarre 'villain' commited to celluloid. However that didn't dampen my enjoyment one bit. Perhaps a bit too slow paced for some, and lacks Kirk fist fighting a Goron but you can't win them all.
July 19, 2016
Though it is fun watching the original crew do their first movie and looking at the stunning visuals, Star Trek: The Motion Picture hasn't got anything nor is it even entertaining. This film tries so hard to be interesring that it goes the 2001 route rather than going the Star Trek route that was in the original TV show. But, rather than being a confusing masterpiece like 2001 was, it instead is a snooze fest that has an enemy that is a cloud and only has action in the very beginning when the klingons were being attacked by it and, to add to that, the enterprise only shot 1 blaster and that was at an asteroid while going through a boring wormhole. But, I'm afraid, that this movie will only get support and hardly any enjoyment out of deeply obsessed Star Trek fans and not from anyone else.
½ July 10, 2016
5.3/10
Star Trek the Motion Picture is an average film that... zzzzzzzzz
½ July 10, 2016
Absolute waste of two hours. Every actor sucks except for Spock, Decker, and Bones. Every other person onscreen is emotionless. The pacing is way too slow for the story content, and while it can be argued that it's to spark nostalgia for the fans, but "for the fans" often equates to "horrible."