Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Trek: The Motion Picture Reviews

½ March 28, 2018
This movie is just not very good at all. I appreciate the scale and the ambition, but ultimately I found it to be incredibly boring. The Star Trek movies that follow are much better than this one. The best thing about this film is the score from Jerry Goldsmith.
½ March 26, 2018
Beautiful and extremely under appreciated.
March 13, 2018
This movie worked for me as the first time star trek is taken to the big screen, it will always be the first tv series to be adopted as a major motion picture. While it is a slower paced movie the subtle, mystical and pseudo-religious theme and nature of this movie makes it work. despite of production troubles, a great score lifts this movie.
½ February 19, 2018
An odd and contemplative endeavor for the first Star Trek film.
February 5, 2018
Personally, this is the movie I enjoyed the most in the series. The first and original attempt at the big screen, it largely succeeded for me capturing the magic and adventure of the TV show and managing to convey the epic nature of the voyage in search of Vga. The twist revealing who Vga was and the reason for its' mission was wonderful imo, as was the fusion of the two beings at the end. There were also some great special effects (for the time) depicting the machine planets' protective universe. My only criticism was the overly lengthy onboard scenes as the crew came to terms with their passenger.
January 19, 2018
It has it flaws but is an awesome vision!
½ January 6, 2018
Modern audiences will get some quality shut-eye during this flick, although they miss a few interesting scenes along the way.
December 21, 2017
A 2 hour pilot episode is what it feels like and is what it was. Never really intended to be a movie.
December 17, 2017
This film has aged with with the decades ... Intelligent storyline ... Sci Fi Classic
½ November 30, 2017
Most people consider this movie to be slow-paced and boring, but they don't notice the amazing visual effects (especially for the time) and top-notch soundtrack. Despite the low ratings it has, I still like it, and Gene Roddenberry (the CREATOR of Star Trek) was at the helm.
November 18, 2017
Now this is Star Trek, not that 2009 reboot piece of $hit. This really looks like a Motion Picture, Special effects were good & the story is interesting, it's such a wonderful start to the original 10 films.
½ November 8, 2017
A misunderstood and unappreciated piece of authentic science fiction. The first feature film from this franchise has an interesting and thought-provoking story while showing off impressive special effects.
½ October 28, 2017
i like this love the music love the 70s vibe lol the real problem is that the film was an episode that was stretched out realllly long
October 25, 2017
Maybe just a little bit too cerebral but this movie has a big heart and a majestic and glorious elegance. One of the best science fiction movies ever.
October 7, 2017
One of the best series of all time
September 27, 2017
Saw first movie only at AGE 12; 1979!!!!
September 10, 2017
I think this is a great film debut of our favorite characters. Feels a whole lot like you're watching a very artistic and visually stunning episode of The Original Series. The dialogue and sweeping visuals are a real treat and Jerry Goldsmith's soundtrack is beautiful and timeless.
½ August 27, 2017
Not a bad movie by any means but not that great, it sometimes feel like its trying to imitate 2001: A Space Odyssey instead of be a Star Trek film, and is a let down for both the franchise and for filmmaking legend Robert Wise.
August 3, 2017
The worst part about this movie is that the character's never actually do anything to advance the plot. All of their dialogue is reserved to petty squabbles and technobabble, and the film is too interested in its own special effects to even bother with letting them do much more than sit around and watch. Most of the movie is just shots of the Enterprise floating around in space and the crew looking on in awe, while we, the audience, would much rather be watching Star Wars.