Reviews

• Jul 27, 2012

Fandango, Fathom Events, & AMC Theaters put on an event for the release of the first season of Star Trek: The Next Generation. It was awesome! They played 2 episodes from the first season, had a special introduction by the producers of the Blu-Ray restoration, & a special cast look back at the show. The 2 episodes were "Were no one has gone before" & "Datalore". The presentation was awesome. Fathom events has always put on some of the most special viewing events in movie & television history. In the Phoenix area it's always in conjunction with AMC Theaters, which is the best movie theater chain i've ever been to. If you love Star Trek and didn't get to go, unfortunately you missed something special.

• Jul 24, 2012

I saw it last night in the theatre and I liked the quality overall. However, I felt that they could have picked a better episode than Datalore to present.

• Jul 24, 2012

They released 3 episodes, including the 2 part pilot/premiere episode on blu ray a few months back and I bought one at my local Target. Yes the resolution is really great. I HATE the 4:3 square screen and found myself adjusting the zoom control on my tv to fill the screen (sure it cropped some of it out but I'm not such a purist that I objected. Since they produced the blu ray from original prints they could have easily made this release 16:9 and not lost any resolution, only some of the edges of the picture). Anyway I saw the theatrical special last night and the quality really SUCKED. I thought it was a poor advertisement for the blu ray release. It looks like fathom events content is pulled off of Dish Network HD and projected onscreen, losing much of the quality.

• Jul 23, 2012

It's got the built in novelty factor of seeing a great show on the big screen, but a lot of the HD stuff was lost from the projection onto the screen. Sure, things were a lot more defined, but the crispness that I've come to expect from HD wasn't there. The additional special features that were shown with the episodes were alright, but not great. They felt like they were the rough cuts of the documentary, plus the moving star field behind some of the speakers was distracting and just a plain bad green screen job, worse than what the TNG SFX initially had in the 80's! The episodes were nicely restored, but I just could help but feel they could of picked better episodes, like the Peabody winning 'The Big Goodbye'. Though the selection was mainly explained as a way to showcase the restored features and the SFX. I highly doubt that I'd go back to the theater again to see more episodes on the big screen, unless one of them was my favorite from that season.

• Jul 23, 2012

Official Verdict: Meh It's got the built in novelty factor of seeing a great show on the big screen, but a lot of the HD stuff was lost from the projection onto the screen. Sure, things were a lot more defined, but the crispness that I've come to expect from HD wasn't there. The additional special features that were shown with the episodes were alright, but not great. They felt like they were the rough cuts of the documentary, plus the moving star field behind some of the speakers was distracting and just a plain bad green screen job, worse than what the TNG SFX initially had in the 80's! The episodes were nicely restored, but I just could help but feel they could of picked better episodes, like the Peabody winning 'The Big Goodbye'. Though the selection was mainly explained as a way to showcase the restored features and the SFX. I highly doubt that I'd go back to the theater again to see more episodes on the big screen, unless one of the was my favorite from that season.

• Jul 23, 2012

For those who didnt see it today, you missed out!! They showed two remastered episodes and a mini documentary. Everyone in the theatre had a blast

• Jul 23, 2012

The Next Generation in HD is fantastic. Even though I've seen these episodes dozens of time, seeing them again in HD feels like the first time. The new HD restored footage has so much more detail that was originally available. You see textures, colors, details that I had never noticed before. A real treat for any TNG fan.

• Jul 23, 2012

Waste of money; good episodes.

Waste of money; good episodes.

Totally forgot to go!!!

Totally forgot to go!!!

• Jul 23, 2012

It was everything I hoped and dreamed. IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT I BUY SEASON 1 & 2 ON BLURAY!