Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

September 24, 2017
Simply a masterpiece.

Score: 10/10
September 22, 2017
I believe that the first time I saw "Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope", I was around five or six years old, sitting in my cousin's basement. Eleven years later, I still get that sense of wonder, excitement and pure nostalgia, every time I watch it. Probably my most beloved movie of all time, and the fact that it was meant as just a one-shot, solo film instead of an extensive, creativity-filled franchise just makes it all the better. A movie that truly improves the older it gets.
½ September 21, 2017
The first film in one of the most iconic film franchises of all time, "A New Hope" continues to hold up decades after its premiere with easily recognizable characters and stunning special effects.
½ September 21, 2017
Not much to say here! Gorgeous cinema.
½ September 19, 2017
Indisputably the king of blockbusters, and with a big enough cultural footprint for it to sustain seven sequels/prequels (and counting), five animated TV series, one abominable TV special and enough merchandise to fill a large warehouse, all over 40 years. There is no argument: the pre-augmented version (properly titled simply "Star Wars") is a true cinema classic.
September 19, 2017
Star Wars a new hope was not my favorite there was like no light saber battles and not a whole lot of action. But now there is a character in the movie named Luke Skywalker he is going to learn the ways of the force and become a Jedi. Luck has to figure out how he can destroy the death Star will he be able to do it time to find out.
September 19, 2017
Star wars is a classic. A new hope started all of these. It is one of the best films of time especially if you consider that it was made back in 1977 this movie is simply amazing. If you don't like it then you most likely don't know about movies.
September 12, 2017
A timeless classic film that holds up incredibly well.
September 11, 2017
The film's writer/director; George Lucas, was inspired by several classic sci-fi movies and certain works of mythology. The intentions for the science fiction space opera was to present a visible portrait of good versus evil. There are many fans of this movie. It broke numerous of box-office records and change the way films would be shown. The downside of this series is that it created the rise of CGI, something that many fans have lacked because of its' prequels. The characters in the film are enjoyable to watch, as well as its' special visual Effects. Definitely a favorite!
Score: A+ GREAT!!!
September 10, 2017
When George Lucas tried to get this picture made he was at loggerheads with the studio who had little faith in it. They never had any faith that this picture was going to be the phenomenon it became. The cast also shared a great deal of doubt about it worrying that it could tarnish their careers. This does unfortunately show in the film. It's nowhere near as polished as Empire and Jedi. The actors haven't got into their roles at all in this film. Especially Carrie Fisher who changes from posh English princess to ballsy American rebel half way through the film. Also the light sabre battle is not a patch on the later films.
I'm not saying it's a bad film but the films that followed are superior. But this is the film that started it all and although it has it's flaws it broke the mould of movie making. Movies found themselves having to step up a notch to hold the audience as well as this film does.
Having watched this again recently, I must say it's still a great movie. The effects are absolutely brilliant. When you compare them to the spaceship scenes in the prequels, they are actually superior in many ways.
September 1, 2017
storm trooper aim is priceless. it will forever be remembered
September 1, 2017
One of the greatest films of all time. Amazing from beginning to end.
August 28, 2017
The beginning movie to my favorite movie trilogy is a masterpiece and expertly written and directed by George Lucas. The special affects is like nothing seen before the movie came out in 1977 and is a must watch for everyone!
August 27, 2017
Of course 5 stars! MORE than 5 stars as there never has been and never will be anything like Star Wars! It's the most groundbreaking, astounding and original sci-fi movie to date and will hold it's place in movie history forever and far above Avatar, Lord of the Rings, and Star Trek - all movies which I love. Before the days of Star Wars, who had ever experienced the likes of Darth Vadar! the FORCE! C3PO! R2D2! Storm Troopers! Imperial Walkers! right!! Not to mention the music and incredible groundbreaking sound effects of the spaceships, light sabers and R2D2. Talk about creating an alternate reality where the eternal struggle between good and evil was so masterfully played out. The bonds of love, loyalty and friendship between Luke, Leah and Hans is remarkable in the writing, directing and portrayal. The critical component of chemistry and the humorous exchanges between the 3 characters is something that Avatar and Lord of the Rings were missing. Though I must say that Star Trek nailed it in that arena with the relationship between Kirk, Spock and McCoy. But back to Star Wars - the evil character of the emperor was seductive and palpable, spot on in casting and portrayal. Even the droids R2D2 and C3PO, had wonderful, original personalities! The movie is just genius on all levels. It had me awestruck and mesmerized from the opening scene of the massive battle cruiser's underbelly flying OVER us. George Lucas, you have a gift and you are a gift! Thank you for sharing it with us!
August 19, 2017
I love this movie but it left a HUGE plot hole good anyway
½ August 19, 2017
One of the best space adventure films of all time!!!
August 18, 2017
This Movie Was 34 Years Old On 5/25/11.
½ August 14, 2017
Star Wars: A New Hope is a very fresh start to one of, if not, the best franchise of all time. It is timeless, and set up the scene for a new galaxy far far away!
August 14, 2017
This Movie captivated audiences all over the world. Time Magazine gave it a great showing. I remember waiting in line for over 2 Hours just to see this movie! Thus the *5* star rating!
½ August 14, 2017
Probably the most Influential Film of all time, the film that inspired books, tv shows, video games etc. Star Wars is everything you could want in a film, Fun, great entertainment, lovable characters good story and brilliant special effects that changed film forever. The thing that I loved most about this film is that it literally gets better and better as the movie goes on with every scene, now that's great storytelling. the characters are good and fun to watch especially Harrison Ford as a cocky smuggler Han solo, Mark Hamill was also ok as a Whiny Luke Skywalker and Late.Carrie Fisher was a good choice for playing Princess Leia, I'll expand more on the characters when I review Empire Stikes Back because I thought the acting was on and off from them in this film but was 10 times better in the Sequel. Darth Vader was a great villian and might even be the Greatest Villain of all time. Alec Guinness's Obi-Wan Kenobi was a great character and I loved his relationship with luke skywalker and how he was teaching him about the Force, Jedi etc. a few nitpicky stuff, the lightsaber duel was poorly constructed and had no weight to it, the acting wasn't that great and I never really clicked with C3po for some reason but ironically I loved R2-D2. Before I forget I also loved the space battle stuff especially the thrilling climatic ending with the death star getting destroyed that scene still holds up to this day. To sum up this film eventhough it has its flaws it's still a brilliant film that still stands the test of time, Extraordinary special effects, excitingly Entertaining and just all around FUN!!!!!