Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope Reviews

December 13, 2017
An all time classic and many people's favourite all time film. Well ahead of itself and launched the Star Wars series. Always entertaining, a land mark in film making!!
December 13, 2017
The film is considered epic because of the time in which it was released. The characters are largely underdeveloped, the plot is quite linear, and viewer is told to support the rebellion through perspective-taking rather than given legitimate reasons. It is a mediocre film.
December 12, 2017
Wonderful Star Wars movie.
December 11, 2017
The classic, the best star wars, don't think any other film will beat it.
December 11, 2017
The movie that defined the space opera, Star Wars exploded its way into cultural significance. I honestly cannot find any faults with this film. It has a clear definition of the battle between the Rebel Alliance and Galactic Empire and the Empire's purpose of control is well-established. The characters all undergo significant development. Luke goes from this whiny farm boy to the savior of the Rebel Alliance, Han Solo goes from a greedy smuggler to being an integral part of the final battle. This movie will always be remembered as a masterpiece. The Battle of Yavin is spectacular, the music is phenomenal, the characters are all significant, and the idea of Jedi Knights using the Force leaves you wanting to know more.
½ December 9, 2017
A timeless space opera that takes several elements from worldwide mythology, theology and even historical events in favor of an overly original and delightful spectacle of special effects, odd and charming characters and appealing story that benefits hardly from its epic moments, as well as memorable standards, corny dialogues and inspiring direction by a promising young George Lucas, affected only by its space for evident substance improvement.
December 9, 2017
I finally watched Star Wars for the first time! I think I would have enjoyed the movie more if it wasn't so dated. None the less, the plot was enjoyable and the music was truly epic
½ December 8, 2017
An epic intergalactic masterpiece but lagging
December 6, 2017
A fantastically original sci-fi adventure film that thrills, exhibits extraordinary practical effects and absolutely captures imaginations. Arguably worthy of the inevitable six dozen sequels to come.
December 6, 2017
A fantastically original sci-fi adventure film that
thrills, exhibits extraordinary practical effects and absolutely captures your imagination. Arguably worthy of the inevitable six dozen sequels to come.
December 6, 2017
The movie that started it all! A masterpiece that changed the way we look at movies.
½ December 6, 2017
The First Step into a Larger World

George Lucas's epic 1977 blockbuster started off my favourite movie franchise of all time. Groundbreaking special effects made a great story, starring Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and the late Carrie Fisher, come to life, launching arguably the most popular movie series in the world.

The story is simple. A farm boy stuck on a desert planet meets two robots and an old wizard. They get a holographic message for help from a princess located in one of the robots. They embark on a mission to save her. In their adventure, they link up with a scruffy space smuggler and his furry friend to help them leave the desert world. In space they encounter a huge battle station that can destroy planets with a superlaser. On the battle station, they find the princess and rescue her. However an evil figure in black cuts down the old wizard. The others escape and join the rebellion against the evil empire that built the battle station. The farm boy becomes a pilot in the rebellion. In the fight to destroy the battle station, the evil figure in black tries to shoot down the farm boy, but fails because the smuggler fires and hits him at the last moment and sends him spinning into space. Then, using a mystical power, urged on by the ghost of the deceased wizard, the farm boy destroys the battle station. In the end, the two become heroes and are awarded medals.

The best thing about Star Wars is the characters. My favourite character in this movie is Han Solo, the space smuggler/scoundrel, played by Harrison Ford. He has the best personality - he is selfish, funny and charming as well as brave and smart. Mark Hamill as Luke the farm boy turned hero is great but also can sound whiney. Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia is both charming and independent. She picks up a blaster and joins in the fighting which is rare for most damsels in distress. Alec Guinness as the Jedi wizard Obi Wan Kenobi is wise, full of surprises and confident in his opinions and in his mission. The side characters, R2-D2 and C-3PO, the robots, and Chewbacca, the Wookiee, are fun to watch and add comic relief to the story. Darth Vader, voiced by James Earl Jones, is ruthless, evil and the killer of Obi Wan who was his Jedi teacher many years before. The late Peter Cushing, the former star of Hammer horror movies, plays his partner on the Death Star, Grand Moff Tarkin.

But the real star of this movie and the franchise itself is George Lucas. It is his vision and ideas that created this amazing film and film series. This heroic story is made possible by breakthrough special effects. Making Star Wars with his own passion and determination, Lucas is largely responsible for creating this movie. A large crew of specialist technicians who became Industrial Light and Magic - the teams that revolutionized special effects and digital filmmaking, supports Lucas.

It's not entirely perfect. Some of the special effects, especially in the end battle sequence don't hold up too well to today's standards. Lucas improved these in later releases. His tinkering with these movies, starting in 1997, however took away certain elements from the original and added ones that didn't make sense, such as the bounty hunter Greedo shooting before Han in a crucial scene for the smuggler's character. Some of the new effects like the CGI Jabba the Hutt (who we didn't see until the 3rd installment in the franchise) looked bad. Some of the lines in the script, especially lines from Luke and Obi Wan are sometimes weird and unrealistic. But these are small quibbles.

I starting watching Star Wars movies when I was 9 years old, and I can see myself enjoying these movies for the rest of my life. For any film fan, this film launched a franchise that is crucial to watch.
½ December 5, 2017
Even if you don't the quality of the film into consideration, the pure impact of it all makes Star Wars one of the greatest movies of all time. There's so much to discuss with it, but I'll focus on the basics. The characters, plot and special effects were all things that made for a great experience. Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) was the perfect plucky, underdog hero and that made Han Solo (Harrison Ford) even cooler. Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher) has a few moments where she could seem unlikable, but she also comes across as very strong, making her an iconic woman in cinema history. Darth Vader remains one of the coolest bad guys I've ever seen. He was must see in every scene thanks to his commanding presence. Meanwhile, Obi-Wan Kenobi (Alec Guinness) was great in the mentor role. He's basically the gold standard of wise old mentors. To be honest, each character seems to have been expertly cast. As for the plot, it's easy to follow and remains compelling. A lot of sci-fi flicks line up several complex storylines that could end up getting muddled. Here, it's a simple (in a good way) battle of good vs. evil. The effects are excellent, especially for 1977. This movie looks much better than a lot of stuff I've seen in the past five years. It's not the best Star Wars film, but it's a fantastic opening chapter and a monumental achievement.
December 5, 2017
A New Hope is an extremely influential blockbuster for better and for worse as it brought the wonder and epic majesty of space operas to the world but it also brought too much action which is in this film overwhelming. It also has some detours and the pacing is bad which is why its successor is so much better. But still the film features some great characters, that iconic, legendary score from John Williams and extraordinary special effects which mostly aged remarkably well. The beginning and the ending are the highlights, but most of the third act with that overlong battle bored me leading to a good, but far from great first entry.
December 3, 2017
An amazing timeless revolutionary classic and everyting about it is so perfect. If there is one tiny little nitpick is that some of te acting does not old up and very little dialogue can be weird but tat is just stupid thing to nitpick about and it d'ont even care about it.
December 3, 2017
In anticipation for the next installment of Star Wars coming out: Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi, I figured i'd look back on both the prequels, original trilogy, and sequels and content Disney released after George Lucas departed from Lucasfilm. And for this film in particular no proper introduction is needed, you know this film. You most likely grew up with it, It defined every young child and filmmakers imagination, It was a cultural milestone for audiences in '77, It won 7 Oscars for visuals and editing. It's 'Star Wars' (or if you want to be picky: Episode IV - A New Hope.) And looking back on my thoughts on this film, since fairly speaking here when i did really get into Star Wars back in 2015 in preparation for The Force Awakens, I let my somewhat 'bias' outlook of the series take ahold of me. And really re-watching this film again, I start to realize how much I still enjoy this film to death but also realize how flawed it can be.

But before I get into any of that stuff, I thought i'd kind of want to talk about the struggles that came to making this film real quick. To put it short, Geroge Lucas & producer Gary Kurtz, after winning it big with American Graffiti, wanted to make a film that payed homage to both the cheezy sci-fi shows of Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers. During the script stage, when it was just called 'The Adventures of Luke Skywalker Taken From The Journal of the Whills Episode I: The Star Wars', George had a...fairly ludicrous direction approaching the story and had ludicrous that never made it into the film (Such as Han being a frog, Luke as a old aged wizard, and C-3PO as a used car salesman). But as the film got its budget from Alan Ladd Taylor Jr. (who was the president of Fox at the time), when making the film the whole thing went through a production nightmare. The actors thought the film sounded ludicrous and never took it seriously, the budget was almost waisted and the production caused many accidents on set, and the first cut of the film was quoted as being: "An unmitigated disaster." But soon after, Kurtz, Ben Burtt (the sound designer of the film) John Williams, and the editors of the film Paul Hersh, Marcia Lucas and Richard Chew came in to fix the film. And thus, as a result of all of this we have the popular pop culture icon we have today.

What can i say about this film that hasn't been said? Well, looking back on the film and marathoning the whole original trilogy I can see where a lot of the flaws come in. But not necessarily flaws that break the film. Despite a very noticeable lack of budget, underwritten and very standard characters (come on let's be real they are), George's dialogue and especially directing often being bland or really cheesy, the script filled with too many coincidences and conveniences,and a story that's about as standard when it comes to hero's journeys as it gets, that doesn't mean the film is bad. Oh dear, far from it. Because really, it doesn't break nor distract the film. Because for me, and I think most others, I was invested enough in the likable and well acted characters, outstanding and well implemented practical effects and action sequences (noticed i didn't say the CGI special edition changes), well executed editing, very grand score by John Williams, fantastic sound design by Ben Burtt, and fun toned pace that Star Wars just ends up being forgivable for it's shortcomings. So in short, Star Wars does enough of a good job standing well on it's own and being simple and easy to follow that despite its flaws is enough for you to not be invested in it. Which that and especially Force Awakens in my opinion, definitely share the most in common. And a film i'm gonna keep going back to for influence for years to come.

Score: 8.5 / 10
½ December 3, 2017
Very close to perfect
November 25, 2017
While A New Hope revitalized sci-fi in cinema, it does have some flaws. I'm not saying the movie is bad; in fact it's one of the best in film history. However, it doesn't go very high up the Star Wars movie ratings. The story is well driven and the characters are perfectly round and suitable for the plot. The typical underdog vs favorites plot rolls out as a rather unique on because of the sci-fi genre. The sets, compared to its time, are wonderful. The effects still sometimes felt fresh even to this day, which shows how revolutionary A New Hope was. The final battle is one of the best final sequences ever, possible the best in Star Wars history; there's suspense, action, pace, and everything to present you a powerful finish for the movie. Speaking cons, the movie suffers some issues in dialogue, and more noticeably in the first act, which feels lost, boring, and at times irrelevant. But it is understandable why people were amazed by every shot of a movie that came out in 1977, when all people had were movies about desert shootouts and police car chases.
November 25, 2017
Star Wars changed EVERYTHING: movie-making, special effects, adventure films, science-fiction and pop-culture in general.