Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope Reviews

May 25, 2017
I cannot deny the influence 'A New Hope' had on sci-fi/fantasy and film in general. But lets face it, as a standalone movie, 'A New Hope' isn't very good. Our protagonist, Luke Skywalker, comes across as a whiny self-centered brat but I guess that's what it takes to be a Jedi Knight. Its a shame Lucas made the trilogy revolve around Luke because there are so many other more interesting protagonists. Such as Princess Leia, Han Solo, even the droids etc. Imagine if Leia was the chosen one. She could have been a much more fascinating and entertaining main protagonist; with her intelligence and snarky attitude it would have been a blast to see her go toe to toe with Vader. Re-watching this movie makes me realize how much Sir Alec Guinness is phoning in his performance as Obi-Wan. Subsequent interviews with him have shown that he has disdain for Star Wars. But even with all these flaws, at least 'A New Hope' set the stage for better movies to come.
½ May 25, 2017
The story still feels fresh and the special effects are still impressive even 40 years later. Star Wars changed the sci-fi genre and filmmaking forever and started a saga that has left an impression on people of all ages past and present and will continue that tradition for future generations.
½ May 25, 2017
For 40 years, everybody around the world has praised the groundbreaking motion picture epic known as Star Wars, and I can definitely see why. The special effects hold up phenomenally, the characters are fantastic and fun to watch, and the strong story helps tie in all of the excitement and depth. Maybe the acting could've been stronger, but that doesn't take away from the experience. Star Wars is impressive. Most impressive.
May 23, 2017
A define movie classic. This truly belongs in the long line of landmark Hollywood films next to Ben Hur and Psycho. Disney, please preserve movie history, and release the original trilogy on bluray as it was originally theatrically released!
May 21, 2017
That one moment when you realize you found time to watch and review The Force Awakens and Rogue One but never bothered to review the other Star Wars movies. Well, that changes today. Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope is an unforgettable sci-fi adventure. The film not only had a large impact on cinema during a time when films were small, independent beings with the film being a cultural phenomenon but it also has tons of good things. The performances, George Lucas' direction, the action sequences among them the remarkable Death Star fight located within the third act and the writing were great. All of them. The film even has tons of quotable lines such as: "I sense a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices cried out and were suddenly silenced","I find your lack of faith disturbing","You may fire when ready", "Great, kid, don't get cocky" and more. Another thing worth praising is John Williams' score. I don't often praise conducted music in films but when I do, it shows signs that the film has good in it. Had it not been for this movie, we wouldn't have the big-budget blockbuster Hollywood offerings we have now. And it's all thanks to you, George Lucas. You may have been accused of ruining your own franchise with the prequel trilogy but you still get credit for opening our eyes to how, in blockbuster filmmaking, there are infinite possibilities.
May 17, 2017
I can not say enough about this film. It is the film that changed my life. Star Wars is more than just a movie to me, it is a lifestyle. I can not thank everyone who was involved in this film enough. Ever since I first watched the original trilogy I have looked at life differently. These films are about The Empire vs. The Rebellion reminding us to never let the government control our lives. Not only does it have philosophical meaning but the movie itself is just so much fun. Every single character in Star Wars will be remembered forever. So many iconic character like Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia, Chewbacca, R2D2, C3P0, Darth Vader, Obi Wan, etc... Star Wars is something that everybody must see before they die. It created a world no other movie will ever be able to create. Star Wars truly changed everything about the world we know. As I'm sure you can tell it is my favorite movie of all time!
May 15, 2017
Ah, the one that started it all. Star Wars is a fantastic film that pioneered the expansion and popularity of the sci-fi genre, and it is a marvel of a film in every single aspect. The classic that continues to stand against the test of time.
½ May 9, 2017
The original sci-fi epic. Lots of great action, interesting characters and a fast pace.
May 8, 2017
Wow!! Best Star Wars sequel yet after the original three!!!! Great continuation of the next generation.
May 6, 2017
This was not my favorite Star Wars a new hope I like the new Star Wars better. And in this one I just don't think there was a whole lot of light saber fighting. I like Obie wan fighting Darth Vader
May 4, 2017
Star Wars: A New Hope is the first movie in the Star Wars Franchise and is one of the best in the franchise! It's a great film, the story is a classic, the characters are perfect and so is the cast. Director/Creator George Lucas does a fabulous job with this movie. The musical score by John Williams is perfect and is also a classic.
½ May 3, 2017
One of the best films ever made. Revolutionized what filmmakers could do with CGI.
½ April 26, 2017
Star Wars a new hope is really great, it was so great it was considered the death of cinema. This movie is perfect the way it is.
½ April 26, 2017
Simply one of the most important movies of all time! Right after Spielberg's "Jaws", "Star Wars" had redefined the concept of blockbuster movies forever! John Williams' score is just perfect and the characters were perfectly set up for the rest of the future franchise, obviously without knowing the franchise would eventually advance!
April 23, 2017
No movie has affected my life such as this one. I remember the first time it was shown on TV. I recorded it on VHS, and watched it every day for a week. Critically speaking, no it is not the "best" of the series, but it will always be my favorite movie of all time. And I am so thankful I still have the original versions to watch. Every one of Lucas's "improvements" have weakened it, and I feel sorry for the children of this century, who will never see a great movie the way it was meant to be seen.
April 23, 2017
BEST SCI-FI EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

The Movie That Changed The World
Amazing Visuals of That Time,Memorable Legendary Characters And Very Much More
But The Only Problem is Corny And Cheesy Dialouge
Still It Is Best Sci-fi Movie Ever
April 22, 2017
My Re-Edit of STAR WARS removed many of the BLANK WHITE SCREENS that flash before your eyes, and yet, contain no actual content from the movie,
April 20, 2017
It's...just average. Has some terribly slow pacing in the middle which drags the film down to a yawn and doesn't pick up again until near the end. Its no where near being the best film in the saga and feels dated but hey, they had to start somewhere.
April 17, 2017
perfection...and it's not even the best in the series
April 17, 2017
Packed with exicting characters and action sequences, Star Wars A new hope is a classic of science-fiction and cinema in general.