Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope Reviews

July 18, 2018
A good movie but underwhelming and disappointing given the hype about it
July 15, 2018
I like it but, for some reason the original trilogy always seemed to bland for me
July 13, 2018
A true classic. Can watch it over and over and over and never get sick of it.
July 9, 2018
This is one of the most epic, amazing, and mind blowing movies of all time. I rarely give movies 5 stars but Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope is a great Sci-Fi movie, and a classic. In fact I have seen this so much and every time I watch it, it only gets better. It just blows your mind. Star Wars is an emotional story and has GREAT character development. And the planets and creatures are amazing. From small little cute Ewoks to big great evil Rancors I love this movie. I do recommend this movie.
½ July 8, 2018
Science Fiction Fantasy at its best with an epic set spanning many universes and planets, highly imaginative characters and a remarkable storyline that does perfect justice. Star Wars will remain to be one of the best movies that ever came from Hollywood.
½ July 4, 2018
Great movie. Revolutionary.
July 1, 2018
Too good for words.
Dont pay for anything soylo a soy wars story.
June 28, 2018
What is there to say about one of, if not THE most influential blockbuster film ever made? It's story and visuals have fueled decades worth of sequels, books, comics, games and TV series, and continues to enthrall new generations of fans. The film is exciting in nearly every respect, with great characters that we can identify with and builds to a nail biting climax. There are a couple of weak moments, such as Luke not mourning the gruesome death of aunt and uncle, but they don't distract from the excitement too much.

What is most impressive about A New Hope is that it tells an amazing story that stands on it's own. Even if there hadn't been another Star Wars movie, we could still watch this one in awe of every new planet or creature, cheer for the heroes and hiss for the bad guys when they're on screen. It's that type of movie: no matter how cynical a viewer, this is one that grabs you and all but forces you to enjoy every minute. The definition of a classic film.
June 27, 2018
5/5. The original Star Wars is a near perfect film with excellent acting, awesome effects, and some of the best pacing and energy ever captured on film.
½ June 26, 2018
How can anyone not love this movie? The heros journey complete with a set of believable villains, well rounded characters, and a struggle to survive impossible odds. It's beauty is in its ability to deliver a quality story anyone can relate to. No build up, right into the action.
June 26, 2018
Kicking off one of the most iconic cinematic franchises, "A New Hope" was the beginning of the Star Wars universe and released in theaters way back in 1977, over 40 years ago. It's the film that introduced us to this whole new galaxy of heroes that we love, like Luke, Leia, Han and Chewie, but also one of the most menacing and infamous villains in the history of cinema, Darth Vader. In the midst of a civil war between the Rebellion, led by Princess Leia and the Empire, who aims to build a space station called the Death Star and use it as a weapon, the rebels are captured by the evil Sith Lord, Darth Vader. In order to help the rebels destroy the Death Star, a young Jedi, Luke, must team up with the smuggler Han Solo and his Wookie friend, Chewbacca. The cast is very carefully selected, particularly the main trinity of Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher. The film is packed with insanely entertaining and timeless sequences of action, humor and drama. The practical and visual effects are top notch quality and astonishingly refreshing and creative for the time that the film was released and still manage to hold up nicely. The score by John Williams is absolutely epic and unlike anything that has ever been heard. In other words, "A New Hope" is a flawlessly crafted space opera and only the beginning of an unforgettable adventure.
½ June 26, 2018
Was the best film in its time, but has not aged well at all, most effects are now too obvious and film has come along way.
½ June 25, 2018
While not my favorite Star Wars film, Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope is still a great sci-fi opera film! Not much to add here that hasn't already been said. Its a timeless classic.
½ June 23, 2018
Sure, it's movie #1 for the Star Wars franchise, but it does seem a little bland in the 21st century. Probably the least entertaining lightsaber duel, but there are yet some decent sequences.
June 22, 2018
The first will always be my favorite! The heroes journey of Luke Skywalker, the badass Princess Leia, the smooth -talking smuggler Han Solo, the wise old Obi-Wan Kenobi, and the awesome villainy of Darth Vader just cannot be topped!
June 20, 2018
Had to watch this cinematic masterpiece again just to cleanse my mind and spirit of that abomination that was The Last Jedi. Thank you for this George Lucas.
½ June 19, 2018
I finally watched Star Wars for the first time! I think I would have enjoyed the movie more if it wasn't so dated. None the less, the plot was enjoyable and the music was truly epic
June 19, 2018
My favorite Star Wars movie. One of the greatest hero's journey in all of cinema. A classic, what can I say, it will never age.
June 18, 2018
Fantastic story, acting, music and combines TOGETHER... created something truly amazing.