Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope Reviews

½ September 19, 2017
Indisputably the king of blockbusters, and with a big enough cultural footprint for it to sustain seven sequels/prequels (and counting), five animated TV series, one abominable TV special and enough merchandise to fill a large warehouse, all over 40 years. There is no argument: the pre-augmented version (properly titled simply "Star Wars") is a true cinema classic.
September 19, 2017
Star Wars a new hope was not my favorite there was like no light saber battles and not a whole lot of action. But now there is a character in the movie named Luke Skywalker he is going to learn the ways of the force and become a Jedi. Luck has to figure out how he can destroy the death Star will he be able to do it time to find out.
September 19, 2017
Star wars is a classic. A new hope started all of these. It is one of the best films of time especially if you consider that it was made back in 1977 this movie is simply amazing. If you don't like it then you most likely don't know about movies.
½ September 15, 2017
Simply a masterpiece.

Score: 10/10
September 12, 2017
A timeless classic film that holds up incredibly well.
September 11, 2017
The film's writer/director; George Lucas, was inspired by several classic sci-fi movies and certain works of mythology. The intentions for the science fiction space opera was to present a visible portrait of good versus evil. There are many fans of this movie. It broke numerous of box-office records and change the way films would be shown. The downside of this series is that it created the rise of CGI, something that many fans have lacked because of its' prequels. The characters in the film are enjoyable to watch, as well as its' special visual Effects. Definitely a favorite!
Score: A+ GREAT!!!
September 10, 2017
When George Lucas tried to get this picture made he was at loggerheads with the studio who had little faith in it. They never had any faith that this picture was going to be the phenomenon it became. The cast also shared a great deal of doubt about it worrying that it could tarnish their careers. This does unfortunately show in the film. It's nowhere near as polished as Empire and Jedi. The actors haven't got into their roles at all in this film. Especially Carrie Fisher who changes from posh English princess to ballsy American rebel half way through the film. Also the light sabre battle is not a patch on the later films.
I'm not saying it's a bad film but the films that followed are superior. But this is the film that started it all and although it has it's flaws it broke the mould of movie making. Movies found themselves having to step up a notch to hold the audience as well as this film does.
Having watched this again recently, I must say it's still a great movie. The effects are absolutely brilliant. When you compare them to the spaceship scenes in the prequels, they are actually superior in many ways.
September 1, 2017
storm trooper aim is priceless. it will forever be remembered
September 1, 2017
One of the greatest films of all time. Amazing from beginning to end.
August 28, 2017
The beginning movie to my favorite movie trilogy is a masterpiece and expertly written and directed by George Lucas. The special affects is like nothing seen before the movie came out in 1977 and is a must watch for everyone!
August 27, 2017
Of course 5 stars! MORE than 5 stars as there never has been and never will be anything like Star Wars! It's the most groundbreaking, astounding and original sci-fi movie to date and will hold it's place in movie history forever and far above Avatar, Lord of the Rings, and Star Trek - all movies which I love. Before the days of Star Wars, who had ever experienced the likes of Darth Vadar! the FORCE! C3PO! R2D2! Storm Troopers! Imperial Walkers! right!! Not to mention the music and incredible groundbreaking sound effects of the spaceships, light sabers and R2D2. Talk about creating an alternate reality where the eternal struggle between good and evil was so masterfully played out. The bonds of love, loyalty and friendship between Luke, Leah and Hans is remarkable in the writing, directing and portrayal. The critical component of chemistry and the humorous exchanges between the 3 characters is something that Avatar and Lord of the Rings were missing. Though I must say that Star Trek nailed it in that arena with the relationship between Kirk, Spock and McCoy. But back to Star Wars - the evil character of the emperor was seductive and palpable, spot on in casting and portrayal. Even the droids R2D2 and C3PO, had wonderful, original personalities! The movie is just genius on all levels. It had me awestruck and mesmerized from the opening scene of the massive battle cruiser's underbelly flying OVER us. George Lucas, you have a gift and you are a gift! Thank you for sharing it with us!
August 19, 2017
I love this movie but it left a HUGE plot hole good anyway
½ August 19, 2017
One of the best space adventure films of all time!!!
August 18, 2017
This Movie Was 34 Years Old On 5/25/11.
½ August 14, 2017
Star Wars: A New Hope is a very fresh start to one of, if not, the best franchise of all time. It is timeless, and set up the scene for a new galaxy far far away!
August 14, 2017
This Movie captivated audiences all over the world. Time Magazine gave it a great showing. I remember waiting in line for over 2 Hours just to see this movie! Thus the *5* star rating!
½ August 14, 2017
Probably the most Influential Film of all time, the film that inspired books, tv shows, video games etc. Star Wars is everything you could want in a film, Fun, great entertainment, lovable characters good story and brilliant special effects that changed film forever. The thing that I loved most about this film is that it literally gets better and better as the movie goes on with every scene, now that's great storytelling. the characters are good and fun to watch especially Harrison Ford as a cocky smuggler Han solo, Mark Hamill was also ok as a Whiny Luke Skywalker and Late.Carrie Fisher was a good choice for playing Princess Leia, I'll expand more on the characters when I review Empire Stikes Back because I thought the acting was on and off from them in this film but was 10 times better in the Sequel. Darth Vader was a great villian and might even be the Greatest Villain of all time. Alec Guinness's Obi-Wan Kenobi was a great character and I loved his relationship with luke skywalker and how he was teaching him about the Force, Jedi etc. a few nitpicky stuff, the lightsaber duel was poorly constructed and had no weight to it, the acting wasn't that great and I never really clicked with C3po for some reason but ironically I loved R2-D2. Before I forget I also loved the space battle stuff especially the thrilling climatic ending with the death star getting destroyed that scene still holds up to this day. To sum up this film eventhough it has its flaws it's still a brilliant film that still stands the test of time, Extraordinary special effects, excitingly Entertaining and just all around FUN!!!!!
August 14, 2017
What can I say about this movie that hasn't already been said?!
August 12, 2017
10/12/13
Excellent work. I just don't know how to say it. The picture is brilliant, even after the CGI changes made for the 1997 and 2011 re-releases, including the "Han shot first" controversy. The plot is very simple, which makes it easy to follow: Good vs. Evil. The longest running plot in history. It's got all the archetypes, and all the right spots for humor. It may be the most flushed out plot in history, but the simplicity is what makes it so appealing. No mindless subplots or paper thin main characters, just good old good vs. evil. John Williams provides another excellent soundtrack for us, and brings up the right emotions at the right times. It's well-written, and is humorous when it needs to be, mostly with the ever so likable characters from George Lucas. I may have grown up with the prequels coming out (I was 8 when Revenge of the Sith came out, and I saw it) This film will live forever. It is timeless, no matter what George Lucas does to it, it changes for each generation. This is going to sound outrageous to some, but the force is strong in the franchise that will live long and prosper.
5/12/12
Having been a Star Wars fan as long as I can remember, Star Wars Episode IV is one of my favorite movies of all time. With John Williams scores, and likable characters, I really want George Lucas to think more about the storytelling of the others. This one does the best story telling job, but with poor effects. With the enhancements, I'm glad there's at least one Star Wars movie with both excellent story telling and decent visual effects.
August 11, 2017
Simply one of the most important movies of all time! Right after Spielberg's "Jaws", "Star Wars" had redefined the concept of blockbuster movies forever! John Williams' score is just perfect and the characters were perfectly set up for the rest of the future franchise, obviously without knowing the franchise would eventually advance!