Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope Reviews

½ January 18, 2017
Introducing cleverly well thought-out and creative fictional screenplay elements and sci-fi robot and alien designs, as well as bringing "resistance" against the cliche Disney stereotype that the princess is right about who's going to rescue her (the charming hero she's expecting who agrees right away to save her and does) when she's wrong and she gets a previously unknown nobody (Luke) and another man who didn't care about her life but just does so for the reward (Han Solo) and these heroes being allied with the real characters that make this movie sci-fi (the robots and the aliens), Star Wars has redefined the genres of science fiction and the movie genre of rescuing the beautiful princess. Star Wars is one of the rare movies that is so good that not even the creator won't stop tampering with it in hopes of staying up-to-date or being added onto with premium content.
½ January 16, 2017
Great movie, a classic in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Adventure genre. :)
January 14, 2017
Its not just that its a classic in every sense of the word, it really is actually that good
January 14, 2017
nothing to add *great movie
½ January 11, 2017
Nota: 9.6/10 - 4.6/5
January 10, 2017
Probably the most classic movie of all time!
January 7, 2017
This is where it all began. It is a great Star Wars movie and is loved by all! This is a great movie!
January 4, 2017
A masterpiece of storytelling and a monumental landmark in the history of cinema, Star Wars is worthy of all praise it's received in the years since it took the world by storm.
½ January 3, 2017
It was entertaining. Unfortunately, it does feel dated. But the story was good and it was fun to follow the characters. The action scenes were expecting although not visually the greatest.
½ January 3, 2017
Indisputably the king of blockbusters, and with a big enough cultural footprint for it to sustain six sequels/prequels (and counting), four animated TV series, one abominable TV special and enough merchandise to fill a large warehouse, all over nearly 40 years. There is no argument: the pre-augmented version (properly titled simply "Star Wars") is a true cinema classic.
January 3, 2017
I can't really put into words what this movie means to me. I watch it once a year, and I'm always in awe of the spectacle it was in 1977. The writing is perfect. The sets are believable. The acting is brave and funny. This movie is ten years older than me, but it still feels modern and forward-thinking. We miss you, Carrie Fisher.
January 2, 2017
The movie that started it all, not to mention it still looks great in 2017. This movie started the most iconic and the best saga in all of history, even if there are some boring chapters. It is a must see, but that is not a problem because everyone has seen it.
January 2, 2017
A cinema legend. It's an interesting movie, and while not being the best or most action packed movie in existence, it's a great little movie that began a saga we all love.
January 2, 2017
Great film! A truly entertaining film to start the Star Wars franchise.
December 31, 2016
What would've been an ambitious attempt on bringing in stories and inspirations to make this movie. But George Lucas turned this movie into a blockbuster sensation.
December 30, 2016
I remember waiting in line when I was a kid. Best movie I've ever seen to this day!!
½ December 30, 2016
12/30/2016: A classic! A great 70's action/sci-fi flick.
December 29, 2016
I can't remember seeing this film for the first time, but after watching it years later, I instantly got why so many people loved it. It's fun, fast-paced, it has good characters that are constantly on the run or struggling to survive in battle. There's rarely a dull moment, and the slower scenes are dedicated to either build-up, character development, or giving some backstory details. The build-up always pays off, the characters are interesting, and what little of the backstory we're given is intriguing enough for us to want to know more. I can't really think of a flaw with this film, it just had a lot of time and proper thought put into as well as the right amount of effort and imagination to craft together a near-perfect movie! Can't think of a flaw, and I can't express how much I admire Lucas for crafting together something that feels so genuine and so large with the limited budget and resources that he had. He went through Hell doing it too, so this gets a nice 5 stars from me.
jamrcla
December 29, 2016
The film that started it all and what a way to do so, It does start abit slow but it soon kicks in with a great simple plot, Amazing action scenes, All the cast were great and easy to like, Touches of humour work well, Some great effects for its time, Gripping from start to finish everyone everywhere should watch this film and may it be passed down to younger generations for them to see what a true cinema classic is.
December 28, 2016
This classic proves that legends never die.