Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope Reviews

January 4, 2017
A masterpiece of storytelling and a monumental landmark in the history of cinema, Star Wars is worthy of all praise it's received in the years since it took the world by storm.
½ January 3, 2017
It was entertaining. Unfortunately, it does feel dated. But the story was good and it was fun to follow the characters. The action scenes were expecting although not visually the greatest.
½ January 3, 2017
Indisputably the king of blockbusters, and with a big enough cultural footprint for it to sustain six sequels/prequels (and counting), four animated TV series, one abominable TV special and enough merchandise to fill a large warehouse, all over nearly 40 years. There is no argument: the pre-augmented version (properly titled simply "Star Wars") is a true cinema classic.
January 3, 2017
I can't really put into words what this movie means to me. I watch it once a year, and I'm always in awe of the spectacle it was in 1977. The writing is perfect. The sets are believable. The acting is brave and funny. This movie is ten years older than me, but it still feels modern and forward-thinking. We miss you, Carrie Fisher.
January 2, 2017
The movie that started it all, not to mention it still looks great in 2017. This movie started the most iconic and the best saga in all of history, even if there are some boring chapters. It is a must see, but that is not a problem because everyone has seen it.
January 2, 2017
A cinema legend. It's an interesting movie, and while not being the best or most action packed movie in existence, it's a great little movie that began a saga we all love.
January 2, 2017
Great film! A truly entertaining film to start the Star Wars franchise.
December 31, 2016
What would've been an ambitious attempt on bringing in stories and inspirations to make this movie. But George Lucas turned this movie into a blockbuster sensation.
December 30, 2016
I remember waiting in line when I was a kid. Best movie I've ever seen to this day!!
½ December 30, 2016
12/30/2016: A classic! A great 70's action/sci-fi flick.
December 29, 2016
I can't remember seeing this film for the first time, but after watching it years later, I instantly got why so many people loved it. It's fun, fast-paced, it has good characters that are constantly on the run or struggling to survive in battle. There's rarely a dull moment, and the slower scenes are dedicated to either build-up, character development, or giving some backstory details. The build-up always pays off, the characters are interesting, and what little of the backstory we're given is intriguing enough for us to want to know more. I can't really think of a flaw with this film, it just had a lot of time and proper thought put into as well as the right amount of effort and imagination to craft together a near-perfect movie! Can't think of a flaw, and I can't express how much I admire Lucas for crafting together something that feels so genuine and so large with the limited budget and resources that he had. He went through Hell doing it too, so this gets a nice 5 stars from me.
jamrcla
December 29, 2016
The film that started it all and what a way to do so, It does start abit slow but it soon kicks in with a great simple plot, Amazing action scenes, All the cast were great and easy to like, Touches of humour work well, Some great effects for its time, Gripping from start to finish everyone everywhere should watch this film and may it be passed down to younger generations for them to see what a true cinema classic is.
December 28, 2016
This classic proves that legends never die.
December 27, 2016
A masterpiece, contains the single greatest scene of all time, and the film never loses it's charm.
December 27, 2016
A masterpiece of scriptwriting and directing capped off by daring performances by all actors involved.
December 24, 2016
Great = 4/5

The classic that started it all, nearly two decades before I was born. And it still holds up to it's name, even today.
½ December 23, 2016
The dialogue may be kind of stupid (typical George Lucas), but the action scenes, visual effects, and most of the characters (simplistic as they may be) really make up for that. A fantastic start to one of the biggest film franchises of all-time.
½ December 22, 2016
If not for Lucas' prowess as a scholar of the classics, this movie would have been nothing more than a self-gratifying million dollar emulation of sci-fi serial Flash Gordon. The same could be said about any other influence and inspiration which makes this movie like a perfect omelette with the right amount of camp, science fiction, opera, and classical storytelling. Adventure whisks its titular protagonist Luke Skywalker from home to meet his destiny. Nothing really stands in his way as he goes from farmer to pilot and then to savior of the galaxy in one fell swoop, but the journey is exciting; imprinting itself as one of the greatest stories ever told which has rightly earned the status of modernistic myth Lucas was trying so hard to accomplish.
½ December 21, 2016
The one that started it all, while the special effects and action sequences captivate viewers even 40 years later, it really shines because of the grand spectacle at the heart of it all. ANH manages to get us invested in the characters, captivated at the possibilities of the Star Wars universe, all the while not taking itself quite too seriously, resulting in brilliant entertainment.
December 20, 2016
Do I really have to say why this film is a master piece........,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,¢,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,¦,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,¢,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,¦,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,¢,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,¦,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,¢,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,¦,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,¢,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,¦,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,°~~,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,¢,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,¦,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,¢,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,¦,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,¢,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,¦,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,¢,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,¦,,,,,,,,,,,,,,¢,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,¦,,,,,,,,,,,,,¢,,,,,,,,,,,,,,¦,,,,,,,,,,,,¢,,,,,,,,,,,,,¦,,,,,,,,,,,¢,,,,,,,,,,,,¦,,,,,,,,,,¢,,,,,,,,,,,¦,,,,,,,,,¢,,,,,,,,,,¦,u,,,,,,¢,,,,,,,¦j,,,,¢,,,,,¦op,¢,,¦¢,¦â¦,.........