Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope Reviews

October 3, 2017
Simply one of the best and most influential films of all time. Star Wars takes the traditional "Good vs. Evil" plot and blows it up onto a huge Sci-Fi level. It has been 40 years, and even without all the Special Edition changes, the practical effects look near flawless. Star Wars is a legendary achievement in storytelling, special effects, and most importantly, blockbuster filmmaking.
October 2, 2017
The best movie ever.
October 1, 2017
All I'm gonna say is there's a reason this film is so iconic and has spawned an entire franchise.
September 30, 2017
Second best Star Wars movie after Empire
September 30, 2017
Wow. The Last Jedi is coming out in December. "Star Wars: A New Hope" was created by George Lucas. George Lucas. This movie has a few flaws, but it's no big deal. This movie makes me break down mentally, it's so good. The first scene tells you a lot: the Galactic Empire has a tight grip over the Rebel Alliance. Everything about this movie is great, with, again, only a few flaws. It is still to this day one of my most favorite movies.
September 24, 2017
Simply a masterpiece.

Score: 10/10
September 22, 2017
I believe that the first time I saw "Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope", I was around five or six years old, sitting in my cousin's basement. Eleven years later, I still get that sense of wonder, excitement and pure nostalgia, every time I watch it. Probably my most beloved movie of all time, and the fact that it was meant as just a one-shot, solo film instead of an extensive, creativity-filled franchise just makes it all the better. A movie that truly improves the older it gets.
½ September 21, 2017
The first film in one of the most iconic film franchises of all time, "A New Hope" continues to hold up decades after its premiere with easily recognizable characters and stunning special effects.
½ September 21, 2017
Not much to say here! Gorgeous cinema.
½ September 19, 2017
Indisputably the king of blockbusters, and with a big enough cultural footprint for it to sustain seven sequels/prequels (and counting), five animated TV series, one abominable TV special and enough merchandise to fill a large warehouse, all over 40 years. There is no argument: the pre-augmented version (properly titled simply "Star Wars") is a true cinema classic.
September 19, 2017
Star Wars a new hope was not my favorite there was like no light saber battles and not a whole lot of action. But now there is a character in the movie named Luke Skywalker he is going to learn the ways of the force and become a Jedi. Luck has to figure out how he can destroy the death Star will he be able to do it time to find out.
September 19, 2017
Star wars is a classic. A new hope started all of these. It is one of the best films of time especially if you consider that it was made back in 1977 this movie is simply amazing. If you don't like it then you most likely don't know about movies.
September 12, 2017
A timeless classic film that holds up incredibly well.
September 11, 2017
The film's writer/director; George Lucas, was inspired by several classic sci-fi movies and certain works of mythology. The intentions for the science fiction space opera was to present a visible portrait of good versus evil. There are many fans of this movie. It broke numerous of box-office records and change the way films would be shown. The downside of this series is that it created the rise of CGI, something that many fans have lacked because of its' prequels. The characters in the film are enjoyable to watch, as well as its' special visual Effects. Definitely a favorite!
Score: A+ GREAT!!!
September 10, 2017
When George Lucas tried to get this picture made he was at loggerheads with the studio who had little faith in it. They never had any faith that this picture was going to be the phenomenon it became. The cast also shared a great deal of doubt about it worrying that it could tarnish their careers. This does unfortunately show in the film. It's nowhere near as polished as Empire and Jedi. The actors haven't got into their roles at all in this film. Especially Carrie Fisher who changes from posh English princess to ballsy American rebel half way through the film. Also the light sabre battle is not a patch on the later films.
I'm not saying it's a bad film but the films that followed are superior. But this is the film that started it all and although it has it's flaws it broke the mould of movie making. Movies found themselves having to step up a notch to hold the audience as well as this film does.
Having watched this again recently, I must say it's still a great movie. The effects are absolutely brilliant. When you compare them to the spaceship scenes in the prequels, they are actually superior in many ways.
September 1, 2017
storm trooper aim is priceless. it will forever be remembered
September 1, 2017
One of the greatest films of all time. Amazing from beginning to end.
August 28, 2017
The beginning movie to my favorite movie trilogy is a masterpiece and expertly written and directed by George Lucas. The special affects is like nothing seen before the movie came out in 1977 and is a must watch for everyone!
August 27, 2017
Of course 5 stars! MORE than 5 stars as there never has been and never will be anything like Star Wars! It's the most groundbreaking, astounding and original sci-fi movie to date and will hold it's place in movie history forever and far above Avatar, Lord of the Rings, and Star Trek - all movies which I love. Before the days of Star Wars, who had ever experienced the likes of Darth Vadar! the FORCE! C3PO! R2D2! Storm Troopers! Imperial Walkers! right!! Not to mention the music and incredible groundbreaking sound effects of the spaceships, light sabers and R2D2. Talk about creating an alternate reality where the eternal struggle between good and evil was so masterfully played out. The bonds of love, loyalty and friendship between Luke, Leah and Hans is remarkable in the writing, directing and portrayal. The critical component of chemistry and the humorous exchanges between the 3 characters is something that Avatar and Lord of the Rings were missing. Though I must say that Star Trek nailed it in that arena with the relationship between Kirk, Spock and McCoy. But back to Star Wars - the evil character of the emperor was seductive and palpable, spot on in casting and portrayal. Even the droids R2D2 and C3PO, had wonderful, original personalities! The movie is just genius on all levels. It had me awestruck and mesmerized from the opening scene of the massive battle cruiser's underbelly flying OVER us. George Lucas, you have a gift and you are a gift! Thank you for sharing it with us!
August 19, 2017
I love this movie but it left a HUGE plot hole good anyway