Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope Reviews

August 7, 2016
Not the best Star Wars movie not a lot of light saber battles. My favorite part is obi-Wan Kenobi vs Darth Vader. Other then that was not a fan
August 7, 2016
Great first film with an excellent score and impressive visuals for time. Purely great!
August 7, 2016
Other than the really fast startup from Tatooine, I have nothing to complain about... well maybe the special editions.
August 4, 2016
The Most Overrated movie of all freaking time. It freaking sucks. BooooOOOooooOOoo
August 4, 2016
This, in my opinion, is the best of the Star Wars films. The one that started it all. It may be dated, but the charm and sense of excitement is still as strong as ever before. Definitely worth it.
August 3, 2016
It,s a good Star Wars movie
August 3, 2016
one of the greatest movies ever
August 2, 2016
While George Lucas' original Star Wars movie is certainly a classic, it's slightly rocky script and acting does let it down slightly. However, it cannot be argued that this is one of the most revolutionary - and entertaining - movies of its era: a proper piece of filmography.
Verdict: B+
July 28, 2016
A classic SciFi film that, along with Jaws, brought about the age of the summer blockbuster. George Lucas writes and directs an imaginative, captivating story, but doesn't seem to understand dialogue.
July 27, 2016
Favourite movie of all time. Just mind-blowing!!!
July 26, 2016
From the plot to the music, from the love to the hope; this movie takes originality to the next level in a courageous adventure across the galaxy. This movie is one of my favorite movies of all time!!
July 25, 2016
A powerful balance between story and action, Star Wars expands upon all other imagination with jaw-dropping story and mystery.
July 25, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: The first Star Wars could have easily been a miss, but it's Lucas' focus on these incredible characters that makes it. It's a true joy seeing them interact with an amazing world and amazing scenarios, and it's for that reason that this film has stood the test of time and gone down in history. It truly changed film forever
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Compared to later films, this one doesn't quite live up in terms of plot, and Lucas ruins aspects of it with every special edition
VERDICT: It kick started the best franchise of all time with a bang thanks to Lucas' creative flair and focus on character. 'Episode 4' changed film forever
July 24, 2016
One of the greatest and important movies I ever seen
July 24, 2016
Although the dialogue can be well bad, some scenes are greatly done with amazing vfx this film is a game changer for cinema with a amazing story line involving a rescue mission, friendship, and with great scenes such as when looks at the suns on Tatooine and you can see he wants to be greater or the bad ass introduction by Han Solo/Harrison Ford and trust me Han shooting first makes it better with amazing visual effects for it's time Star Wars isn't just a movie but a cultural thing with Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, James Earl Jones, Carrie Fisher, and Alec Guinness acting at a high with it being a all around great film.
½ July 23, 2016
an amazing space adventure that has changed the movie industry
July 21, 2016
Star Wars episode 4 was a good film give the backstory episode 3 between the characters between Anakin Skywalker and his son Luke Skywalker. how to adjust time was destroyed by Luke Skywalker new chapter will begin
July 21, 2016
It was a long time ago in a galaxy not so far, far away but back in 1977 nobody knew what was about to happen. Imagine a world without Luke Skywalker, the Millennium Falcon or R2-D2? It seems as though almost everyone in the known universe has heard of the much loved Star Wars saga and this is where it all began. Since originally released, the movie has been tweaked and fluffed up with new effects and even new characters added but it remains one of the finest space opera science fiction adventures ever brought to the screen. The sheer vision and imagination of the creative teams that worked on every element of the movie shines through. Looking back on it now, from an era where CGI effects mean that all manner of fantastical vistas and situations can be created inside the gibbons of a machine, it seems incredible to think that the vast majority of the effects were created using models, costumes and prosthetics. It has a real feel and grittiness that the prequels too often lacked. The cast throw themselves into the action with gusto. For the most part, they look scarily young and fresh faced as indeed most of them were at the time. However added to the young leads, we have the genius of Alec Guinness and the delicate, yet menacing Peter Cushing. Both of these fine old British actors demonstrate their absolute skill as actors and use every gesture and nuance to make their characters work within the plot. The script here, whilst not always brilliant, isn't as clunky or cliche riddled as they became in later outings of the saga and there is none of the morass of stifling plotting that dogged the prequels. This is just non-stop fun and action where you can really cheer at the heroic antics and hiss at the bad guys. This movie spawned generations of geeks and fans who simply loved the escapism and fantasy of it all. We collected the figures, read the books, ate the cereal and slept under the Star Wars duvet covers and now, approaching our fifties, we can look back on this film and know that we were there. We queued up to get into the cinema to see it. We had light sabre fights in the playground and argued over whether Han was better than Luke. Most of all, however, we know full well, that these first three were the proper Star Wars films. The original and best. The later versions will never quite measure up and we don't mind telling everyone.
½ July 20, 2016
The first Star Wars movie has an outstanding story varied scenery and good characters however the action scenes are lacking
July 19, 2016
A great start to what will be known as the most popular movie franchise of all time.Good story and great characters its just slow at parts but still a very good film.