Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens Reviews

½ September 22, 2018
Derivative, and very lacking in originality.
September 21, 2018
Just a new hope work better cgi
½ September 19, 2018
An american slowwwwwwwww storyy. almost slept while watchinmg
½ September 19, 2018
Mildly funny, and good effects, but completely unoriginal in it's plotting, and disappointing disrespect for the tone and cannon, as well as a completely lacking level of world building.
½ September 18, 2018
Its your standard Disney movie in implementation and a copy of the original film in story. The big twist isn't much of a pay off as the emotional investment of the main characters is far overblown. Otherwise its just a light 'fun' disney movie.
½ September 18, 2018
This movie does nothing to develop the legacy and world of star wars. It introduces new characters whose character arc's are vague and uninteresting, and it's plot is an copy and paste idea of the new hope. In my opinion worst star wars movie so far, with last Jedi close behind (at least TLJ tried to do something creative with the plot). The only thing I can praise are the visuals. But you can't build a good movie with just visuals which is why I gave it half a star.
½ September 17, 2018
A bit of fun nostalgia wrapped around an otherwise unlikable movie
½ September 17, 2018
I can't tell you how excited I was to see this. My dad took me to see the original trilogy and I took him to see this one. It started out amazing but kind of lets you down at the end of the movie.
September 17, 2018
Was playing with giving it only 2 stars, but after TLJ this is actualy an UPGRADE
September 17, 2018
Hard to argue that this film is any more than a remake of Episode 4. If the Star Wars franchise is to maintain any longevity it needs to move past the spent trope of 'young force-sensitive inhabitant of a desert planet joins up with a small but plucky band of rebels to defeat the evil empire by destroying their gigantic space laser'.
September 17, 2018
A fun Star Wars movie that honors the franchise's legacy and reunites some old, familiar faces.
September 17, 2018
Super fun movie and a great story for all the nostalgic folks
September 16, 2018
The Force Awakens continues to make the Star Wars franchise one of the best movie franchise of all time and my favorite movie franchise of all time. Not only does this new movie feature my favorite characters and actors from the first three (Harrison Ford as Han, Carrie Fisher as Leia, Mark Hamill as Luke, Anthony Daniels as C-3PO, R2-D2, and Chewbacca) but it add some of the most amazing new characters to the franchise. This is my favorite Star Wars movie and is one of my top 10 favorite movies of all time. The cinematography was executed very nicely. The visual effects, puppets, and animatronics were gorgeous and fantastic especially BB-8 and R2-D2. The writing, story, and screenplay were spectacular. The costumes, makeup, and hair were beautiful. The acting performances from Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Harrison Ford, Oscar Isaac, Adam Driver, Carrie Fisher, Anthony Daniels, and Domhnall Gleeson were stupendous. The voice over performance from Lupita Nyong'o was great. Mark Hamill's cameo was perfect. Also I loved the musical score composed by John Williams it was amazing. A+
September 16, 2018
Re-hash of Episode 4.
½ September 16, 2018
Absolutely crap. Took me three attempts to get through the next one too. Disney effed it up big time
September 15, 2018
Not a fan... Despite advances in technology and film making, this movie has lost something from the first three installments...
September 15, 2018
they could have done it better, but this was a competent addition
September 11, 2018
Ot was fun to watch and created lots of theories and plots to develop farther.
PS TLJ destroyed the story and intrigue soon after
½ September 11, 2018
This well-made heap of painfully obvious rip-offs masquerading as homages is beautifully shot and tautly paced. The newcomers certainly don't deliver great performances but at least they have some energy and charisma.
September 10, 2018
Not a horrible movie, I just don't really see the point. I think that's most people's problem with this movie, that it's trying to expand on a 6 part space epic that concluded decades ago and didn't leave much room for or allude to in any way a sequel.

This movie never could've been good since had huge shoes to fill and it had to find a reason to exist since the old movies ended satisfyingly.

Genuinely though it's an ok movie with interesting characters, but a couple of plot holes and not really spectacular. People's main complaint seems to be that it's largely just a reskin of ep IV. I kind of see why they did that just to play safe, but I think this movie would've been better if they just totally took it in a new direction. And not created this first order/resistance conflict out of thin air.

It wasn't bad but it wasn't particularly memorable or interesting. It at least laid a good foundation of characters and a storyline for the next installments to build on, but holy s**t did they screw that up. ep VIII is so bad it really makes me appreciate this one more.

It's a real shame that in the long run this series won't have much of a legacy and this one that was supposed to start it off and lay the foundation for the next will probably be the best. I'm not even going to see IX there's nothing interesting going on anymore.