Star Wars: Holiday Special - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Wars: Holiday Special Reviews

January 4, 2016
43%
Completely annoying yet utterly fascinating, The Star Wars Holiday Special cannot be unseen, no matter how much George Lucas wishes it could be.
January 4, 2016
For the most part, the Holiday Special is an insult to everything Star Wars is, and what it should never be. However, it is still incredibly entertaining in its own right, featuring unsubtitled Wookiee for half the film, cameos from actors from the actual movies that are most likely on drugs (their respective screentimes are too short to be considered more than that), some bizarre musical numbers, and a trippy ending sequence.

Objective Verdict: F
Enjoyment-based verdict: A+
½ December 31, 2015
Ten minutes of wookies going "Mrrrrooooa." Ten.
½ December 30, 2015
This is not Star Wars. Although Boba Fett makes his first appearance, this is too laughable to be Star Wars.
½ December 29, 2015
Worse than you can possibly imagine. Seriously, try to think of the worst Star Wars anything you can and this will top it in awfulness. Yes, it's that bad.
December 26, 2015
There wasn't any point in this where I was not entertained in some way.
December 25, 2015
The memories I have of this feel like a childhood memory of a very very bad dream.
½ December 25, 2015
No, get me away from this abomination!
December 25, 2015
there is a reason why this only showed on tv once.BEACUSE IT SUCKS,ITS WORSE THAN THE PREQUELS,HECK,EVEN THE PREQUELS HAD A QUALITY,THIS NOT!
½ December 25, 2015
a fan favorite like boba fett originated from this disgusting special... how?
½ December 24, 2015
The only redeeming quality of this "movie" is the animated portion as well as introducing Boba Fett for the first time.
½ December 23, 2015
Its so bad that it is remarkable. Its almost hard to believe that so many bad ideas could be jammed into 2 hours without managing to sneak at least one good one in there. Its as if a competing franchise hijacked the production in order to make the most annoying and disorienting release possible. With that being said, its a a must see for any star wars fan, if only to increase the perceived value of the prequals.
December 22, 2015
A true masterpiece of film. I bet George regrets not directing this work of art.
½ December 21, 2015
This rare TV special has a reputation for being horrendous, and one minute into the program it lives up to every bad thing ever said about it. Chewy is celebrating Life Day with his family, and there is like long scenes in which only Wookies talk to each other, speaking in bear and not really doing anything leaving the viewer completely puzzled as to what the hell they are talking about. Plus there are jokey guest stars and musical numbers, and a cartoon...its a mess. I often ridicule George Lucas for not releasing some things...but on this one count I can't really blame him. This is awful. Interesting only from its sort of rare historical perspective.
December 20, 2015
I love Star Wars, but this was the weirdest thing I've ever seen.
½ December 19, 2015
I was curious and excited to see this. After watching it I have felt remorse unlike any other. Even if you are curious or love bad movies do yourself a huge favor: avoid this special.
½ December 17, 2015
I survived the Star Wars Holiday Special. If you've ever hear word that it's terrible, that's no exaggeration. It's a TV movie, but I use to word "movie" loosely. About 10% of it is actual coherent plot. The rest plays out more as a variety show with pointless segments and musical numbers scattered randomly throughout.

The overall premise follows Chewbacca's Wookie family as they wait for him to return home for Life Day (the Wookie version of Christmas), but he is nowhere to be found. We, the audience, know that he is battling TIE fighters with Han Solo on his way home. Additionally, the Galactic Empire is searching homes for members of the Rebel Alliance.

Because there's such little plot, and it's a very simple concept, it shouldn't be this hard to understand what's going on in the movie. It doesn't help that none of us speak Wookie (even the characters in the movie can't understand what they're saying). The scenes without any humans, which constitute the majority of the special, are incomprehensible and borderline unwatchable. According to writer, Bruce Vilanch, he had wanted many of these scenes cut due to the fact that the audience can't understand the Wookie language. George Lucas insisted that they remain. Turns out Vilanch was right, as it's not only incoherent, but in a holiday special that's supposed to be jovial, we can't even smile or laugh at what's happening. But I'm not sure it would matter anyway, as even the jokes that are told by humans have terrible delivery.

Even the music numbers can't be looked at as a pleasant break from the insipid journey through the Star Wars universe. They're extremely plodding and lack any real character besides being hypnotic. At one point, Diahann Carroll performs some odd erotic piece which may make this the most uncomfortable holiday special in history--along with the most boring. I think when they torture prisoners they make them have to stay awake through the Star Wars Holiday Special.

Lucas couldn't even get all the characters in the same room together. Every major actor's scenes are filmed remotely, except for Harrison Ford's. It's a film that is said to feature Darth Vader--even though he literally only gets 4 seconds of screen time (which I'm pretty sure was just a cut scene from A New Hope).

The only highlight is an animated short halfway through that features the first on-screen appearance of Boba Fett. And that's not all, the storyline is pretty good also. It makes you wish that the whole special was just animated.

The Star Wars Holiday Special wouldn't have been nearly as bad if it was only an hour maybe. But 90 minutes is just ridiculous (2 hours including commercials). And you can't say that it's even bad in a funny way. It's just flat-out painful. I love Star Wars as much as the next guy, but there's no wonder why George Lucas wanted all of these destroyed.

Twizard Rating: 32
December 17, 2015
Upon the release of Episode VII I wanted to revisit some more less known avenues of Star Wars & for diehards this film is a pain you must go through.

The infamously rare holiday special that was made the next Christmas after the release of a New Hope in 1977 & in response to the viral success of the film.

As interesting as it seems it's woefully bad & tacky but all major actors make an appearance & you get to see Chewbacca's home planet & the best part is the animated section with C-3PO & R2-D2. A must see for Star Wars Nuts...
December 15, 2015
CBS knocked this one out of the park. It's a bold move to begin your Christmas special with seven minutes of wookies grunting at one another, and boy does that decision pay off. Everyone talks about how the Nelvana-produced Boba Fett cartoon is the best, but for me, it's everything else that really shines. Bea Arthur falling in love with an alien who pours liquor into a volcano on his head? Art Carney as a malfunctioning robot reading an instruction manual? Jefferson Starship holograms rocking out for war-weary stormtroopers? Wooo. In all seriousness, I feel triumphant having watched this. I feel more alive knowing that this exists.