Starship Troopers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Starship Troopers Reviews

July 14, 2016
Pretty awesome this film
July 6, 2016
Director, Paul Verhoeven (RoboCop, Total Recall) Brings us a viciously entertaining sci-fi action film, about killer mutant space bugs. very graphic and gross, but very action packed and awesome.
½ June 28, 2016
Has absolutely nothing in common with the classic novel. Tries to turn an alternative Democratic system into fascism, thereby completely missing Henline's point. Tries to claim entire culture is about the military when that was only one aspect of the book. The writer, producer, and director need to learn reading compression.
June 27, 2016
Youngsters fight nasty alien bugs in this funny but action packed sci-fi pic.
jamrcla
June 5, 2016
Brilliant film I loved it, Better than most that have tried to do films like this, Great action and just all round fun if you can ignore some poor acting.
½ May 26, 2016
Carries this general feel of campiness, and looks terribly dated.
½ May 19, 2016
On the surface, this is a mindless, fast-paced, gory popcorn movie. You can watch it as such, and you can definitely enjoy it as such. It is laced with a deeper meaning, though, and if you care to understand, that an any war, the enemy is always the "insects", it gains a much more sinister and philosophical meaning. I honestly think Verhoeven understands the fascist tones of the book and plays on them in a tongue-in-cheek manner.
½ April 27, 2016
2016-04-27 silly but lots of action and not bad except for the misnamed 'administrative punishment'.
½ April 20, 2016
A satirical and juvenile sci fi film with some touch of body horror
½ April 18, 2016
The action and special effects are really good. The story is a little weak but works for this type of movie. The characters are interesting and fun. Overall, it is a very enjoyable movie.
March 27, 2016
despite not being totally faithful to the book, leaving out a lot of important plots (such as armours), it's a pretty awesome adaptation.
½ March 26, 2016
Grade: A-
Rating: 8.5/10
½ March 26, 2016
Watch it before it's removed from Netflix.
March 24, 2016
Magnificent special effects and full of blood and guts, Starship Troopers is an instant cult classic.
March 24, 2016
5/5 Starship Troopers works both as a sci-fi adventure packed with entertainment value, or a dark satire with even more to dissect. It's thrilling, funny, disturbing, unsettling and way beyond what I could have expected.
March 12, 2016
I will be blunt; this is one of the most entertaining action movies I've seen. In terms of trying to get an "anti-fascism/war is bad" message across, THAT got lost in a film that is very chaotic in nature. I'm watching this now and I STILL can't get that message. This is really not the kind of movie that you try to get a "war is bad" message through, since it's like driving through the Antarctic in a limo. It doesn't make sense to try that. Plus Ed Neumeier (who actually plays the guy who was sentenced to death by the trio of judges partway through the film) wrote the "anti-fascism" message to be way too subtle. It really does come off the exact opposite of what he'd wanted.

Still, I have a good time. The costuming and designs are all top-notch, and actually, the CGI was cutting-edge for 1997. The design is top of the line, and it's a lot of fun. That's what movies are for.
March 11, 2016
Okay, the characters are a little generic, but my enjoyment of this film doesn't derive from the characters, but the satire. The satire isn't played too heavy-handed, but they show just enough of it to get a grasp on it, and not shove it down your throat. This film is good, watch it. Now.
February 22, 2016
A movie whose devious cleverness is still misunderstood by many and outright dismissed by idiots, and there are a fair few of them walking around. It aligns American fascism with Nazi propagandized hatred and asks "whats the real difference"? look closely at the pro military news reels (recreating exactly old nazi propaganda news reels) the perfect Aryan leads, the officers uniforms (the most explicit reference) and the movie's constant refrain's of "the only good bug is a dead bug" or "not much to look at when you scrape them off your boot" start to take on a disturbing shade and leave a strange, bitter aftertaste to all the gory splatter carnage. Indeed, what do the bugs actually do in the first place? the Americans are the bad guys here, mindlessly ploughing ahead, destroying an enemy with thoughtless hatred, with this in mind the next time you hear Johnny Rico shout "I SAY KILL EM ALL"! takes on an unpleasant dimension. That it also is on top of that an astonishingly realized, epic, sci-fi action, horror thriller with some of the greatest visual effects in film history, buckets of gore, hilarious black comedy and an often affecting, purposefully cheesy soap opera romance mixed in makes it a masterpiece, a brilliantly spiteful and blackly satiric masterpiece.
February 14, 2016
One of the ultimate milennial movies.
February 13, 2016
In the 23rd century, Earth has become a space-faring federation. While colonizing new planets, humans have encountered an insectoid species known as Arachnids or "Bugs", with their home being the distant world Klendathu. The bugs appear to be little more than killing machines, though there are suggestions that they were provoked by the intrusion of humans into their habitats. In the federation, citizenship is a privilege earned by serving through such activities as military service, granting them opportunities prohibited to basic civilians. John "Johnny" Rico (Casper Van Dien), his girlfriend Carmen Ibanez (Denise Richards) and best friend Carl Jenkins (Neil Patrick Harris) attend high school in Buenos Aires. Fellow student Isabel "Dizzy" Flores (Dina Meyer) is in love with Rico, but he does not reciprocate. They enlist in the Federal Service after graduation. Carmen becomes a spaceship pilot assigned to the Rodger Young, while psychically gifted Carl joins Military Intelligence. Rico enlists in the Mobile Infantry expecting to be with Carmen, but is surprised to find Dizzy, who wanted to be near him. At Mobile Infantry training, brutal Career Sgt. Zim (Clancy Brown) leads the recruits. Rico is promoted to squad leader and befriends Ace Levy (Jake Busey). He later receives a Dear John letter from Carmen, as she desires a career with the fleet and serves under Rico's high school sports rival, Zander Barcalow (Patrick Muldoon). After a live-fire training incident that kills one of Rico's squad, he is demoted and flogged. He resigns and calls his parents, but the call is cut off when an asteroid, launched by the Arachnids, obliterates Buenos Aires, killing his family and millions more. Rico rescinds his resignation and remains with the Infantry as an invasion force is deployed to Klendathu...

Roger Ebert, who had praised the "pointed social satire" of Verhoeven's Robocop, found the film "one-dimensional," a trivial nothing "pitched at 11-year-old science-fiction fans." I personally didnīt like "Starship Troopers" when it came out and now when I gave it another chance my opinion hasnīt changed. The problem here is that Paul Verhoeven doesnīt manage to make this work satire wise, production wise nor value wise. Itīs such a b-movie with mediocre acting, bad green screen set ups, bad CGI and classic over the top Verhoeven goriness and I am not sure if that was the main point in Verhoevenīs head, but to me that is as failure as the script has interesting anti right-wing militarism and anti-violence angles, however everything falls to pieces as Verhoeven has put mediocre actors and actresses in the main roles and the so called satire only becomes cheesy and bad compared to "Robocop" and the interesting main plot ends up in the background due to the bad handling of the material. I simply donīt like the result and I believe it couldīve been so much better.