Starship Troopers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Starship Troopers Reviews

September 28, 2017
its a 90's movie, so when you look at it you have to see it from that perspective. albeit no where near the greatest movie of all time still a damn good movie and if you have never seen it definitely worth a watch.
September 24, 2017
A must have in 4k see this film again you won't be disappointed!
September 23, 2017
Really, really funny.

Starship Troopers works both as a great sci-fi actioner, and also as a fantastic satire of many things, among them being fascism, American foreign policy, militarism, and above all, it's very own source material. The great thing about this movie is that while you may not like it the first time you watch it, the more you think about it, the more the reason for it's puzzlingly bad acting and excessive gore become clear. It is making fun of it's own genre. Think Ender's Game, but instead of Ender going off to repent for what he has done, extreme patriotism leads the soldiers to reward themselves for their hostile efforts with more war.
This film exhibits lines like a news reporter saying "some say the bugs were provoked by the intrusion of humans into their natural habitat. That a live and let live policy more preferable than the war with the bugs." To which our hero, who has pretty much given in to the war and propaganda says "I'm from Buenos Aires, and I say kill 'em all!" Showing how humans would react to something like that as a result of their actions.
The imagery used in the propaganda that the audiences are shown is subtle, but it really drives the point home if you get the joke. The over the top gore and violence isn't merely some dudes fascination, but is instead used to show the horrors that may come from our aggressive actions, and the fact that a peaceful species retaliating causes us to try to destroy them shows the state of our governments, and is still a topical plot point to this day.
While no one knows the intentions of the original novel's fascist imagery to the letter, many speculate that it is promoting it instead of satirizing it, and this movie takes aim at it's own source material, a gutsy move that not many studios would want to attempt, in fear that they would alienate the core audience. But, this movie does so with gusto, and in doing so, comes out on top as a winner. I would highly recommend it, because even if you don't quite get the massive joke that is this movie's premise, the special effects aren't even half bad by today's standards, utilizing creature effects when possible to make some truly terrifying, brain sucking, fire spitting foes for our not-so-heroic heroes, and the fight scenes are actually pretty cool to look at, even if they don't have many of the elements from the novel such as the power suits.
September 19, 2017
Cheesy, funny, awesome.
September 3, 2017
While Starship Troopers is cheesy as hell, is it a surprisingly good subversive and anti-fascist film. Bravo Verhoeven, Bravo!
August 29, 2017
A rare example of when a bad adaptation of a book winds up making a good standalone movie. Near Kubrick-ian in its wartime satire, Starship Troopers is, before it is anything else, fun.
August 26, 2017
a laughably terrible, but fun movie if you can ignore significant and frequent stupidity. the acting and dialogue is bottom-notch lol. but the alien battles were cool in a fun stupid way. reminded me of starcraft. (about 3 viewings)
August 24, 2017
4/5. A movie ahead of its time. Starship Troopers, is a fun, violent, and funny satire that not everyone will appreciate, but it is defiantly worth a watch.
August 10, 2017
Bad boring sci-fi movie with the worst special effects since some random movie. I didn't care for this movie at all, it's a waste of time in my book and really forgettable. Star ship troopers more like horse st#! Boreres.
August 10, 2017
a lot of people seem to think this movie is just a cheesy 90s fling but its fucking class with its subtle comedy and hidden meaning, absolutely classic
½ July 31, 2017
Come on you apes, do you want to live forever?
July 31, 2017
Solid action movie satire that suffers from not fully honoring the source material nor being as satirical as it thinks it is. The acting is solid, for the most part, with the leads Casper Van Dien & Denise Richards giving necessary but wooden performances (based on their screen tests, that may have been the point). Thankfully, the supporting cast is superb, notably Michael Ironside is the experienced, no-nonsense lieutenant. Behind the camera, Paul Verhoeven crafts a fun action filled satire meant to make fun of propaganda action films, but doesn't quite get there. The action is top notch, while the the news reel clips have the same satirical film as "Robocop", but this isn't true Heinlein's original book. The society in the book is not nearly fascist as the one in the film and it would have been nice to see the mobile, armor suits. Plus, the humans have a pretty good cause to fight the bugs (they do attack the Earth and kill millions) and some scenes, like a colonel willing to sacrifice a squad for the greater mission, is something even Eisenhower understood during D-Day. However, the bugs are more interesting in the movie, fully alien instead being humanoid like in the book, and Verhoeven delivers some top notch action. Overall, despite it flaws, a fun action movie with a bit of satire, but not the the masterpiece that is "Robocop".
July 12, 2017
It's hard to know how much of this is really clever satire and how much of this is really dumb shit.
July 8, 2017
People expecting a sci-fi/action-adventure film will likely be disappointed. People who understand biting satire and social commentary (the backbone of most Paul Verhoeven films) will LOVE it because they "get" it.
June 7, 2017
Essentially a spiritual successor to Robocop in tone, Starship Troopers oftentimes gets a bad rap. There is certainly some clunky dialogue, some questionable performances *cough* Denise Richards *cough*, and some characters are thrown quickly to the sidelines. In the end, the effects hold up surprisingly well, Verhoeven's wicked sense of humor is sprinkled throughout, and the entire cast seem like they're having a blast.
½ June 1, 2017
People really didn't get the parody? Really?
June 1, 2017
One of my favourite movies
May 30, 2017
I like this movie, I know it's got its flaws but I like it. The storylines good and the effects are still pretty impressive, considering it's nearly 20 years old. The main flaw is some of the acting. The two actors that bring it down the most unfortunately have lead roles. Casper Van Dien is as wooden as a rocking chair and Denise Richards isn't much better. Michael Ironsides is great as always and is perfect for his role. Most of the supporting cast are ok with a few exceptions. Overall it's a good film that's easy to watch and easy to watch again. I would have liked to see a decent sequel to this but unfortunately it never happened.
jamrcla
May 29, 2017
Brilliant film I loved it, Better than most that have tried to do films like this, Great action and just all round fun if you can ignore some poor acting and silly bits.
April 26, 2017
Kind of dumb movie with great aliens