Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation Reviews

• Dec 29, 2018

Low budget direct-to-video sequel is better than you'd expect. Directed by Phil Tippett, the stop motion special effects whiz behind movies like "RoboCop" and the original "Star Wars," and the original film's writer, Ed Neumeier (who also wrote "Robocop"), both knew the budgetary limitations of this production (character actor Ed Lauter is the only name actor in the film) and instead of trying to match the spectacle of the first film, they instead scaled the story down to a smaller siege film (think "Aliens" meets "Assault on Precinct 13"). The story is a simple one. A group of starship troopers take refuge in an abandoned outpost and find themselves under siege from wave after wave of bug attacks. This sequel does lack the satirical edge of the Paul Verhoven original, but in terms of being an engaging and interesting story, it completely succeeds, even if it's tonally quite different from the first film. I actually appreciate when sequels diverge significantly from the original, which was kind of an 80s thing (i.e. "Rambo: First Blood Part II," "The Road Warrior," "Rocky II and III," "Halloween III: Season of the Witch," etc.). I'd describe the first film as a sci-fi satire of a pro-military, pro-war films such as "The Sands of Iwo Jima" or "The Green Berets," peppered with plenty of Leni Riefenstahl imagery. This sequel is much closer to a horror film along the lines of "Night of the Living Dead" or "Dog Soldiers," except that instead of zombies or werewolves, it's giant alien bugs attacking the hunkered down survivors. Overall, this sequel is nothing to go out of your way to watch, but if you enjoyed the original film, you'd probably enjoy this sequel despite it's significant change of tone. FUN FACT: One of the characters is named Captain Dax, who's quite similar to a character in Stanley Kubrick's WWI anti-war film "Paths of Glory," Col. Dax, who are both career military men betrayed by their cowardly superiors.

• Feb 15, 2018

Low budget, and too high ambitions, at the cost of quality. This movie would have been way better with Denise Richards!

• Feb 11, 2018

Terrible sequels 101 or How Not To Hold A Camera

Terrible sequels 101 or How Not To Hold A Camera

• Dec 28, 2017

Not a bad movie. Seemed more of a horror movie then scifi, Richard Burgi character was awesome I thought. I did hate the obvious flashlight guns. Fucking lights going on and off at the end of the gun? Thats cheap.

• Sep 14, 2017

1/5. The first Starship Troopers is a war movie and a satire. This is a Sci-Fi channel-esque horror movie. It's not offensively bad or anything, just meh, and made by people who clearly didn't get the point of the first movie.

• Aug 10, 2017

One of the worst movies I've seen in my life and I've seen a lot of horse sh#!. Boring as fudge.

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Feb 15, 2017

More cheese and yet somehow less filling. Still a good C grade action adventure yarn.

• Apr 27, 2016

2016-04-28 hubby wanted to see it. not at all the same lead characters as the 1997 movie. meh.

• Apr 25, 2016

Un pésimo refrito de las películas de Alien con personajes de cartón y una historia igual de pobre, mandando a la mierda todo lo que hizo genial a la primera película en el proceso. La única razón por la cual volvería a verla es para presenciar a Kelly Carlson en paños menores.

• Apr 08, 2016

Surprisingly surpassed my expectations, though it did take quite a bit from The Thing.