Starsuckers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Starsuckers Reviews

May 8, 2014
An interesting polemic look at the manufactured world of mass media and some of the problems that underpin it. At times the style of the documentary jars and doesn't know itself, but the Max Clifford footage alone given recent events makes you think about the rest more.
½ January 30, 2013
Obnoxiously condescending in it's delivery of mostly obvious information about the media and fame. The most interesting part was near the end when they exposed Bob Geldof's well intentioned charitable acts as red herrings sponsored by big media and government, perhaps causing more harm than good.
½ October 12, 2012
Brilliant and underrated.
½ January 31, 2012
A hot mess of an exposť documentary on celebrity worship.
½ October 21, 2011
A semi-decent analysis of pervasive celebrity culture. Suitable for Media Studies A Level students.
September 3, 2011
a very entertaining and interesting to watch documentary, which strikes some very true cords. Hmm... I wonder why the media didn't review this documentary well. ;)
August 20, 2011
There's not too many documentaries about the psychology behind the public's obsession with the star and the hidden agenda of news agencies, however this one does a good job in telling the aforementioned.
August 15, 2011
Mindboggling. Should be compulsory at every school.
April 28, 2011
An interesting documentary about celebrity culture, the search for fame, media misinformation and manipulation. The film was a little disjointed but the various parts were worth seeing even if they didn't fit together properly.
½ March 29, 2011
There isn't much content to this documentary.
½ March 15, 2011
A seriously damaging stab at the heart of celebrity culture, culminating in Bob Geldoff getting the royal shellacking he so richly deserves. Highly recommended.
½ December 2, 2010
Brilliant documentary exploring the cult of celebrity. Goes a long way to explaining the ballooning of narcissism of users on social media sites like Facebook and Twitter.
½ November 25, 2010
it could be shorter. this interesting, and at times even entertaining doc explains how media companies create&manipulate celebrity culture. a mandatory watch. oh, and watch out for the (funny) segment on lithuania. its official. we r starsuckers! go, valinskas!
½ November 20, 2010
Although this documentary itself has an angle, it does demonstrate more publicly that real news is what somebody somewhere doesn't want you to know and, everything else, really is advertising. In conjunction with reading Jack Trout and David Ogilvy it's clear that celebrity endorsements really do work. Forewarned is forearmed and, perhaps, a way to make a tidy profit via unscrupulous means whilst the rest of the population remain blissfully ignorant. But, then there are wheels within wheels ...
gor41
August 31, 2010
Micro budget expose of our obsession with celebrity and the vultures who have ensnared us. Interesting if not always convincing arguments for how we are deluded.
July 5, 2010
A thought-provoking documentary about the entertainment industry, media and us. Even though messy at times, it has amazing insight into how and why we are so consumed with fame and how and why it is in so many people's interest to keep us so. For a professional PR person, this is a great reminder of how things work, for commoners a great lesson of how we are being screwed (and for a learning pr person a great lesson of how to srew over people). So, something for everybody - in a very entertaining package. I really felt sorry for the little kid being screwed by his parents, agents and - well, everybody. Oh, and the school for wannabe reality stars was priceless!
½ May 11, 2010
It was a very strong topic to talk about, and I completely understand where the movie is going. BUT, I wish this movie was more like a documentary. I felt I was watching the glamor that the movie is ridiculing. His fits move was much better.
½ April 11, 2010
Enlightening and alarming.
March 27, 2010
Documentary looking at our obsession with fame and how the media manipulates that obsession by hooking children at a young age and then feeding that desire for fame through reality TV and fabricated news stories. Ryan, the precocious 6yr old and his pushy parents are revolting, but the parts where Atkins and his crew demonstrate the media‚??s tricks are interesting and revealing. The cringeworthy celeb interviews on the DVD are a must-see too!
March 25, 2010
Fascinating documentary on how the media manipulates us in order to perpetuate the fame myth. Eye-opening!