State of Emergency - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

State of Emergency Reviews

August 2, 2014
State of Emergency is a slow paced zombie movie without much going for it. I was still entertained in the end. There are only a hand full of zombies and the movie ends without a twist. There aren't any surprises and there is limited suspense. I can't tell you why I liked it, but I did. It may go back to my B-movie roots, which run very deep.
½ March 8, 2015
decent little pic. low budget though. i think i counted 8 zombie kills total in the movie. lame story plot as well, but decent pick to pass the time. the DOP was pretty good though.
½ September 3, 2014
The movie poster, info, and the tagline for State of Emergency imply an experience which you do not receive and it's important to know that this is FINE. This isn't really a zombie movie in he traditional horror sense. Instead, Clay offers viewers something that felt much more true to life, or what one might experience in similar circumstances. As a veteran horror/zombie viewer, my own expectations of cliches were an important part of my suspense while watching State of Emergency, and I appreciate the work done to support that experience instead of bombarding me with very familiar high-CGI/gore-n-roar that make up many zombie movies these days.
½ September 1, 2014
I mean its not good but it proves to be better than some movies that are released in the theatres which I guess is somewhat impressive. Mostly because zombie movies tend to be bad. Acting bad, storyline bad, character development bad, fx bad, point to film... well there is no point, but it is interesting enough to watch all the way through at least once, not worth watching ever again, a once in a lifetime thing.
½ April 5, 2014
A surprisingly well-made and acted zombie film, State of Emergency has the elements to make a great zombie film. Unfortunately, aside from a few creepy moments, it doesn't deliver on its promise. Plus, why are the zombies all cut guys with their shirts off?
January 3, 2014
What better time than today?

A small town chemical plant explodes unleashing a toxin that turns the residents into flesh eating zombies. Jim finds himself quarantined off on his farm. He lives in a barn with several other survivors that happen to cross his path. How long can Jim and the survivors bunker down in the barn?

"What was he doing when you found him?"
"Eating his wife."

Turner Clay, director of Interception, delivers State of Emergency. The storyline for this picture is just okay and fairly standard for the zombie genre. The characters were interesting and faced some unique zombie genre obstacles. The special effects were pretty good and the acting was as you'd expect for the genre. The cast includes Jay Haden, Andy Stahl, Tori White, and McKenna Jones.

"Please let me come in."
"Something's not right with her."
"Let me in."

We watched this off Netflix mainly because we were in the mood for a zombie picture. I will say this was pretty entertaining and had some interesting sequences. A lot of the scenes were predictable but still fun to watch unfold. This is an above average zombie picture that isn't epic but still worth your time. I recommend giving this a shot but not adding it to your DVD collection.

"Can't really go outside and play..."

Grade: C+
½ December 16, 2013
State of Emergency stood out over most direct-to-DVD films of its nature. It contains a very clear beginning, middle, and end (with the ending actually NOT being a cliff hanger that most movies of the genre insufferably contain). The action is sparatic, and during the whole movie I was confused whether or not I wanted to take the chance and use the bathroom, or just go ahead and do it because nothing good is happening anyways. Fortunately, the acting was decent in all the characters that could actually talk, which made this move worth its 3 and 1/2 rating from myself. Bottom line, this movie isn't totally bad, and is highly underrated.
½ November 6, 2013
State of Emergency (Clay Turner, 2011)

The best of the movies I watched this week was, surprisingly, not watched on Tuesday. (A glimpse into the life of Your Favorite Goat: I work from home every Tuesday, so for eight and a half blissful hours, when I am not on the phone with users, I am able to watch movies back to back, and I can usually get through four or five on any given Tuesday.) I was home alone on Wednesday night and on the verge of falling asleep-I'd been awake all Tuesday night thanks to a medication change that brought on a severe bout of insomnia-and so I did what I often do, trolled the bottom of my sorted-by-star-rating Netflix queue to find a crappy horror movie to which I could blissfully drift off until the family got home. I chanced on State of Emergency, pulled out the pillow, and prepared to pass out cold. Ten minutes later I was bolt upright, glued to the screen, and I realized that this was one of those wonderful times when the public had gotten it wrong, wrong, wrong, and I was seeing a minor, overlooked gem.

To be fair, I went into the movie with expectations even lower than that paragraph conveys; somehow I had gotten the Clay Brothers (Turner wrote and directed, while John Will produced; if you are truly unlucky, you may remember seeing John Will Turner in front of the camera in Hannah Montana: The Movie) mixed up with the Cole brothers, Derek and Shane, who directed a godawful 2006 no-budget snoozefest called Human Behavior. So I was pretty much expecting "Human Behavior with zombies." Oh, no. No, no, no. State of Emergency wears its horror-loving heart on its sleeve, drawing liberally from 28 Days Later..., The Crazies, Night of the Living Dead, and a handful of other horror films (and, as much as I hate to say it given how much I despised the movie, Cast Away), but they do it well enough, and with enough tender loving care, that I am more than comfortable calling this an homage, not a rip-off.

Plot: Jim (The House Bunny's Jay Hayden) is just about to propose to his girlfriend Emilie (Overnight's McKenna Jones) when the world ends. No, really. He doesn't have all that much in the way of details, but thanks to a TV station outside his area he can pick up with rabbit ears (talk about a Crazies throwback!), he discovers there was an explosion at a nearby chemical plant, and the military have quarantined the area. As we open, Jim is carrying Emilie through a field; she has been mortally wounded. We do not know how. (Minor spoiler alert/plothole: we never find out. Doubtful she was attacked by zombies, since we don't see one for a while. Flying shrapnel? He would have known about the explosion before finding a TV. And why didn't he just go home? Note that I cared about none of this while actually watching the movie.) She dies in his arms. Dead weight is heavy, so he finds a horse barn-seemingly abandoned, but with working water, power, and phone-and goes about setting himself up a defensible position. (Which leads to the conclusion that, okay, she was attacked by a zombie. But... you know, one more script rewrite would have (a) solved all this and (b) kicked this movie's review up at least a half a star.) Jim finds an industrial barn in which to hole up; it's pretty defensible, but it's also large, which leads to the inevitable "hey, there's a zombie or two hiding out in here." The phones are still working, and a small group of survivors holed up in a warehouse just over the hill gets in touch with Jim; he heads over there, meets them (there's husband and wife Scott [Fading of the Cries' Scott Lilly] and Julie [Kathryn Todd Norman in her first screen appearance], as well as Ix [Desert of Blood's Tori White, whom they found in a state of deep shock and brought back to the compound), and the bunch settle in for a siege with the hope, ubiquitous in zombie movies, that this is a local problem and the government will eventually drop in and rescue them.

It would be one hell of a spoiler to tell you one of my favorite things about this movie, since it's the final sequence, but as soon as that sequence started, I was waiting for the other shoe to drop...and eventually it dawned on me that the Bros. Clay were actually going to play that final sequence straight. I don't think I have ever seen that in a zombie movie before. Even if the rest of the movie had been barely competent, that last sequence would push this over the line into recommend territory. However, this is not barely competent; this is well-thought-out, paced like an art-cinema talk piece (which will probably not sit well with some horror fans, but those who have the patience for it will be amply rewarded), acted well enough for government work, and with a surprisingly satisfying resolution. I'm not a huge fan of one of the twists the story takes (there's an obvious romance subplot being set up between Jim and Ix that just doesn't ring true given that Jim's almost-fiancee has just died a few days previous), but that ends up being a minor complaint in an otherwise very pleasant surprise. Well worth the time if you stumble across it. *** 1/2
October 13, 2013
One line summary: Nice low-budget survival thriller with zombies.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a zombie outbreak near a source of chemicals. A red zone is declared and enforced by military personnel.
Jim, Scott, Julie, and Ix end up (various stories) at a basically empty warehouse within the red zone. After some scrounging, they get electricity, fans, television, weapons. They keep up with official newscasts.
They have time on their hands, at least in the first half of the film, and they get to know each other. The men pick off occasional zombies coming near the warehouse, and a woman who was in the process of changing.
Ix runs out of insulin. Jim goes to find one of the airdrops, which may contain medicine. Jim finds the drop. He kills another human who was turning to zombie, and recovers the medicine and as much food as he could carry. Ix recovers.
A zombie gets in through the sewer pipes. This returns us to the opening scene. Jim and Scott again successfully defend.
The military come. They tranquilize all of them, and conduct extensive blood tests and the like, before releasing them. Jim, Scott, Julie, and Ix all survive in physically good shape.
--------Scores----------

Cinematography: 7/10 Endless filters.

Sound: 6/10 Two levels, quiet conversation and loud zombie encounters.

Acting: 10/10 Much better than I expected.

Screenplay: 8/10 No waves of crazed zombies, but a fair amount of thinking and courage. This is more of a straight survival tale.
½ August 1, 2013
The beginning seemed to have potential, but then it very VERY quickly lost momentum. It didn't seem low budget, so I suppose it was the directing is where it fell off. My biggest thing was the sound effect of the footsteps; who the hell did they have adding those in post-production? They were so terribly unrealistic and distracting throughout the movie--overly loud footsteps that all sounded like the exact same sound effect being copy+pasted--I couldn't even focus on the movie. Not even sure how I made it through the whole thing.
½ July 25, 2013
State of Emergency is an enjoyable, character driven story. It's definitely not your typical "zombie" movie. In SoE, the town and most residents are 'changed' after a chemical accident that leaves only a few survivors. The story's focus is more about the impact of all of this on those uninfected rather than zombie body count. Great sense of an eerie and desolate atmosphere.
July 5, 2013
I think there are no ratings because nobody bothered to sit down and watch it. It was done well and creepy enough with good characters.
½ July 1, 2013
When my friends and I started watching this movie, we were pretty excited. Usually independent zombie movies are HUGELY entertaining (even if they aren't good). This movie on the other hand, was so boring I started dusting my living room for fun while it was on. Nothing... happens... exactly. They had a few directions they could have gone, and then that element just disappeared. Unfortunate, boring.
February 18, 2016
Poorly written, but well acted.
½ September 2, 2015
I was already familiar with the lead actor from his roles in music videos so seeing him in this I have one thing to say...get him in more movies ASAP! he is natural as can be...I liked his brief relationship with the actress that plays his wife . the other actors and actresses are good as well and you believe they have the courage to survive the zombies in a warehouse...the zombies themselves look more dirty than gory but still cool. overall definitely recommend this horror movie!
½ May 12, 2015
Gritty B horror movie,a real slow burn with just a few zombies but the story does draw you in.
½ February 11, 2015
Bad acting and really boring for a zombie movie. Really bad movie for multiple reasons. I wouldn't recommend this movie. Not even as a funny 'recommend a bad movie' kind of thing either.
½ March 8, 2015
February 22, 2015
One moment in the beginning of the movie involving Nick alone in the darkness of his ban safe haven as he looks for a potential intruder is especially intense. A surprisingly compelling and well made horror film, "State of Emergency" wisely injects the walking dead and gore where it's necessary, and focuses instead on gut-wrenching human drama and surviving in a disastrous situation.