State of Emergency - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

State of Emergency Reviews

June 5, 2016
B level stuff. Lead is decent
February 18, 2016
Poorly written, but well acted.
½ September 2, 2015
I was already familiar with the lead actor from his roles in music videos so seeing him in this I have one thing to say...get him in more movies ASAP! he is natural as can be...I liked his brief relationship with the actress that plays his wife . the other actors and actresses are good as well and you believe they have the courage to survive the zombies in a warehouse...the zombies themselves look more dirty than gory but still cool. overall definitely recommend this horror movie!
½ May 12, 2015
Gritty B horror movie,a real slow burn with just a few zombies but the story does draw you in.
½ March 10, 2015
Bad acting and really boring for a zombie movie. Really bad movie for multiple reasons. I wouldn't recommend this movie. Not even as a funny 'recommend a bad movie' kind of thing either.
½ March 8, 2015
decent little pic. low budget though. i think i counted 8 zombie kills total in the movie. lame story plot as well, but decent pick to pass the time. the DOP was pretty good though.
February 22, 2015
One moment in the beginning of the movie involving Nick alone in the darkness of his ban safe haven as he looks for a potential intruder is especially intense. A surprisingly compelling and well made horror film, "State of Emergency" wisely injects the walking dead and gore where it's necessary, and focuses instead on gut-wrenching human drama and surviving in a disastrous situation.
½ October 9, 2014
I wanted to like this movie so bad. I have an undying love for the zombie genre (pun intended) and felt like this film had some things going for it, but that was outweighed by the absolutely putrid acting of two of supporting characters whose names I can't even remember and I JUST finished the movie five minutes ago.

Jim, the lead, and Alex, the mcguffin of the film, are well acted but suffer from some age old tropes of the survival/horror genre. Jim is the every man who's lost it all after his fiance passes, but of course she taught him crucial information off camera that helps save the group later. Alex, or "Icks" as they refer to her in the film (gag), is the prototypical "manic pixie dream girl" who inspires Jim to keep living after events occur do to information she hid from the group.

The other two survivors are wooden, uninteresting, and you'll be rooting for the zombies over them within minutes of being on screen. That's pretty much all I can say for them except the fact that the main male supporting cast member (his name is Scott, I believe) is literally the worst acting I have seen short of a high school drama club production.

Oh yeah, the zombies. The cover of the movie would lead you to believe that this an all-out zombie apocalypse, but the film makes no effort to conceal the fact that the infection is confined to small area. Honestly, that's fine. It works for the film, and the few and far in-between zombie have the potential to be eerie, but only seem to show up when the plot needs prodding along. Also, some zombies can talk... well, really one zombie can talk because, well no real reason, and every other one seems to be the same shirtless guy over and over.

Overall, the movie gets strong performances out of the leads, but falls short everywhere else really. The cinematography and direction are good but not great, the dialogue is awful and the most of the actors seem to stumble over their words. Stunts look terrible, effects are passable for a low-budget film such as this, and the plot devices can be seen from a mile away. This movie, despite the fact that I really liked the leading man, is a hard pass. Don't waste your time.
½ September 3, 2014
The movie poster, info, and the tagline for State of Emergency imply an experience which you do not receive and it's important to know that this is FINE. This isn't really a zombie movie in he traditional horror sense. Instead, Clay offers viewers something that felt much more true to life, or what one might experience in similar circumstances. As a veteran horror/zombie viewer, my own expectations of cliches were an important part of my suspense while watching State of Emergency, and I appreciate the work done to support that experience instead of bombarding me with very familiar high-CGI/gore-n-roar that make up many zombie movies these days.
½ September 1, 2014
I mean its not good but it proves to be better than some movies that are released in the theatres which I guess is somewhat impressive. Mostly because zombie movies tend to be bad. Acting bad, storyline bad, character development bad, fx bad, point to film... well there is no point, but it is interesting enough to watch all the way through at least once, not worth watching ever again, a once in a lifetime thing.
½ August 24, 2014
For a small budget movie, this is really great. I loved it
August 16, 2014
A solid little "zombie" thriller. Decent amounts of gore and tension. The lead actor is pretty good, the supporting cast, not so much. But it wasn't bad, good for a Saturday afternoon.
August 2, 2014
State of Emergency is a slow paced zombie movie without much going for it. I was still entertained in the end. There are only a hand full of zombies and the movie ends without a twist. There aren't any surprises and there is limited suspense. I can't tell you why I liked it, but I did. It may go back to my B-movie roots, which run very deep.
July 25, 2014
Better than average, entertaining zombie flick.
½ July 24, 2014
Of all the zombie movies I've ever seen, this is the first one with an happy ending and I liked it! Also, this is a very good one in his genre, beautifully directed: there's a couple of really thrilling scenes with a decent attempt not to fall in the same old clichés. Not all the actors are that good, but I liked Hayden's performance and hope to see him again around.
½ April 5, 2014
A surprisingly well-made and acted zombie film, State of Emergency has the elements to make a great zombie film. Unfortunately, aside from a few creepy moments, it doesn't deliver on its promise. Plus, why are the zombies all cut guys with their shirts off?
February 24, 2014
Very small cast, but there isn't much character development, not much interpersonal drama, and emotions don't run all that high. The beginning parts of the movie, where Hayden's character is alone, are suspenseful and fantastic. I thought this movie would pan out in a similar way, but once he hooks up with the rest of the cast, its just another zombie survival flick. Suspenseful in that the zombies are different than the ones we've grown accustomed to, but otherwise typical. I thoroughly enjoyed it and gave it four stars, but I can see why RT's average is only 27%. If you are looking for high intensity action you won't find it. If you are looking for drama and character development, not here. If you are looking for something different that will hold your attention with an appropriate amount of suspense (without overdoing it), this movie is worth 90 minutes of your time.
½ February 5, 2014
I was pleasantly surprised by the craftsmanship of this film. Every once in a while you can find a gem of a horror movie between all the awful stuff out there, this is one of the gems.
½ February 4, 2014
I will watch any zombie movie disregarding the budget or any other concern. This one was mediocre but watchable. Best part is the ending credits song.
January 5, 2014
Some zombie movies are just terrible. I present exhibit a. It's a zombie movie with very little zombies in the film. Ugh. Just terrible.