The Statement - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Statement Reviews

June 18, 2015
A terrific cast in a finely directed and beautifully photographed movie. It has a very strong story. Star Michael Caine gives a really excellent performance as a complex character. Caine manages to make the villain of the piece entirely believable and quite human without ever make him at all likable. Each time the story makes him a bit sympathetic the script and Caine's excellent performance rips away any idea that he might be a sympathetic villain. This movie is a great political thriller.
September 4, 2013
A film that doesn't know what point it wants to make. It flaunts great actors, but never delves into the region of "Why?" Everything in the film has happened, but should I care, should I watch? There is no sustaining hold, possibly making for the most awkward Jewison feature-- and awkward is a trend in his line.
January 11, 2013
Great performance by Tilda Swinton. It's important that stories like this one come to light and not be forgotten.
December 13, 2012
A good criminal-political suspense film with a wonderful cast and shining performance by Michael Caine, playing a French Nazi collaborator whose obsession with religion and absolution by priests doesn't really make the audience feel sorry for him, because he's not really sorry. The character is merely trying to get out of paying the ultimate penally for his crimes--damnation, but that doesn't stop him from committing further murder or really repenting. It's a fine line to play successfully for an actor, and Michael Caine plays it brilliantly. Again I disagree with many critics, because I found this film very intriguing.
November 13, 2012
Unfortunately unsatisfying film with a good cast & premise that simply falls short.
August 29, 2012
A decent thriller for an insomniac.
August 29, 2012
Slow-paced and deliberate, Michael Caine's performance reminds us of how he gained his legendary status.
August 23, 2012
Wow... all the 'top critics' seemed to pan it. The times, Vichy France, issues of ideology and the war (of course) rather negate true moralizing about this singular subject but I thought it was well done and properly acted. Certainly not a rotten tomato.
March 5, 2012
Una gran interpretación de Michael Caine no basta para que esta película no sea una completa garcha. Lamentable última película del ya octogenario Norman Jewison (Violinista en el tejado, Jesucristo Superestrella).
December 24, 2011
Intriguing historical thriller, Michael Caine shines in the lead role
October 22, 2011
I really liked the narrative behind this film, however I was slightly confused as to who I should be rooting for. Opening with (and following) Pierre Brossard we can see he is truly sorry for his actions. Is that just to calm his own nerves and make himself feel better? Maybe, but he still pained himself over what he has done which led me to believe we should be on his side and want him to escape. Certainly casting Michael Caine in this role does that. But at the end the filmmakers professed this film to the 7 Jews who were killed all those years ago, so why make their murderer so human and so compassionate? I also found it slightly slow at times when nothing to progress the narrative happened. This is a good film and whilst I won't be watching it for a long while it's something I'll definitely revisit. Thanks in part to Caine's brilliant performance!
½ August 26, 2011
surprisingly good thriller led by strong cast....the ending looked kind of rushed (kept it from 3 stars)....I especially enjoyed the dynamic between Swinton and Northam...
July 23, 2011
Should have been à French spooken movie, has a vague plot.
½ June 30, 2011
Decent suspense nazi war criminal chase movie. Michael Caine is good as usual, although Tilda Swinton always seems to come off as creepy, even if she is playing a very normal role. It seemed to go on a bit too long, and Caine's character seemed way too lucky in his many many escapes, but it is good overall.
March 10, 2011
Michael Caine is great as a Frenchman and Nazi collaborator protected by the Catholic Church, but director Norman Jewison (he of great films like In The Heat of The Night and Moonstruck) is interested in all surface, little more with the script by Ronald Harwood. It's soul-crushingly boring.
February 12, 2011
this makes me think alittle about Apt Pupil
January 3, 2011
Ok, but if you've got better movies to watch, don't bother. Even Michael Caine can't help it. It goes on EBay.
½ September 28, 2010
Cast: Michael Caine, Tilda Swinton, Charlotte Rampling, Alan Bates, Jeremy Northam, Ciarán Hinds, John Neville, Matt Craven, Edward Petherbridge

Director: Norman Jewison

Summary: The buried sins of the past almost always find a way to surface in the present, as Frenchman Pierre Brossard (Michael Caine) discovers in this drama directed by Norman Jewison. Pierre's quiet life in southern France is disrupted as he's haunted by his betrayals. During World War II, his Nazi sympathizing led to the deaths of 14 Jews. With a Nazi hunter (Tilda Swinton), the police and hired killers on his trail, it's his turn to be the hunted.

My Thoughts: "The movie grabbed me right from the start with it's brilliant opening, but unfortunately it doesn't keep with that brilliance the entire film. In about thirty minutes in, it gets quite boring. Not one of Caine's best performances, but a movie he did carry on his own. It's basically him going from church to church in hiding. Not very interesting, but the story is. I wish they would have elaborated on it more then just showing Caine's character on the run. Also, what happened to this film being of french characters, they all sounded pretty british to me. Just not well made."
½ September 18, 2010
½ August 23, 2010
somewhere between the directing, the cinematography and the editing, the magic created by an extraordinary cast is all but destroyed and, what could have been a five star film, is reduced to a barely passable telemovie.