The Statement Reviews

• Jun 22, 2019

A splendid performance from Michael Caine with a great story wrapped around. Not boring to me whatsoever

• Aug 07, 2018

Well-done. By todays standards, it can't compare to the sensory overload common in most movies. However, as a drama, and particularly for those interested in history, it's very good

• Jun 18, 2015

A terrific cast in a finely directed and beautifully photographed movie. It has a very strong story. Star Michael Caine gives a really excellent performance as a complex character. Caine manages to make the villain of the piece entirely believable and quite human without ever make him at all likable. Each time the story makes him a bit sympathetic the script and Caine's excellent performance rips away any idea that he might be a sympathetic villain. This movie is a great political thriller.

• Jan 11, 2013

Great performance by Tilda Swinton. It's important that stories like this one come to light and not be forgotten.

• Dec 13, 2012

A good criminal-political suspense film with a wonderful cast and shining performance by Michael Caine, playing a French Nazi collaborator whose obsession with religion and absolution by priests doesn't really make the audience feel sorry for him, because he's not really sorry. The character is merely trying to get out of paying the ultimate penally for his crimes--damnation, but that doesn't stop him from committing further murder or really repenting. It's a fine line to play successfully for an actor, and Michael Caine plays it brilliantly. Again I disagree with many critics, because I found this film very intriguing.

• Aug 29, 2012

A decent thriller for an insomniac.

A decent thriller for an insomniac.

• Aug 29, 2012

Slow-paced and deliberate, Michael Caine's performance reminds us of how he gained his legendary status.

• Aug 23, 2012

Wow... all the 'top critics' seemed to pan it. The times, Vichy France, issues of ideology and the war (of course) rather negate true moralizing about this singular subject but I thought it was well done and properly acted. Certainly not a rotten tomato.

• Mar 05, 2012

Una gran interpretación de Michael Caine no basta para que esta película no sea una completa garcha. Lamentable última película del ya octogenario Norman Jewison (Violinista en el tejado, Jesucristo Superestrella).

• Dec 24, 2011