The Station Agent - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Station Agent Reviews

April 3, 2016
A beautiful and simple film, for people who appreciate good filmmaking.
½ March 25, 2016
The Station Agent follows the story of a man who has dwarfism played by Peter Dinklage. After his best friend who ran the train shop he worked at dies, Fin inherits an abandoned station home in the middle of a deserted railroad. There he meets an affable food truck driver, Joe, and sweet, but shy, Olivia. Both Joe and Olivia both try to help Fin get out more and feel more welcome, given his dwarfism. What this movie does really well is give a spotlight to dwarves. As weird as that statement is, not a ton of people are aware that dwarves exist and still do the things we do. This portrays a great message of how we are all the same despite what our appearances may say about us. Throughout this movie, Fin is treated like an outsider and an alien of sorts. He gets stares walking down the street, he gets laughed at, and even scares people, but always manages to keep his cool which shows how used to this treatment he is and that's honestly really tragic. This message is really due to the really good writing by Tom McCarthy. I feel like the characters were characters and not just actors, I've met people like Joe who are extremely outgoing and respectful. I've also met Olivias too, who are content regardless but have a bit of a fractured past. The three main stars, Peter Dinklage, Bobby Cannavale, and Patricia Clarkson, were all very good leads. The problem I have with this film is that I didn't care for the way it wrapped up. Everything just kinda goes into a quick downward spiral, we never get the information about Olivia's husband, and the complete end just kinda leaves me thinking "Okay what now?". Once everything wraps the way it does, it feels like there should be five more minutes somewhere in that ending where things needed to be explained. I did think this film was short very well, had quirky vibes on its setting, good dialogue, memorable characters, and a good commentary on dwarfism. The ending made me feel kinda empty however and that's not what I expected from a movie that I had been enjoying for 90% of the time. B
March 17, 2016
Such a beautiful film. A great cast and lots of light humour. A wonderful tale of friendship and their importance.
March 11, 2016
Like a sunny day in the middle of spring, The Station Agent has an undeniable but not overwhelmingly positive mood about it. Many may find the film too mild for their taste but to those who don't always seek out the action-filled or hyper-dramatic, this film is worth watching.
February 29, 2016
I think I waited just long enough to finally see this.
½ February 26, 2016
I liked the movie but didn't love it. Peter Dinklage is great, but his characters aggressive desire to be alone was hard to empathize with. Even though he constantly has people throwing themselves at him to be his friend on one hand he is ridiculed by most others for his dwarfism on the other hand. I might have to watch again.
½ February 13, 2016
After watching this, you'll wish you'd done the same exact thing as Finn, or maybe, you have. If so, you'll enjoy watching someone else do. This is a relaxing film. A slow time film. I laughed, I cried, I thoroughly enjoy this film.
January 31, 2016
A lovely film that truly feels like an hour and a half long window into the lives of 3 disparate personalities in small town New Jersey.
½ January 5, 2016
Peter Dinklage is a powerhouse actor. He's a remarkable human being, and here, he's the shiniest star in what is a very boring film. This is a very weak film, that could've benefited from being a bit faster in pace. One of the biggest set-backs of the movie is Bobby Cannavale's character. I just couldn't stand him. He just kept bothering everybody, and talking about his famous coffee. I couldn't wait for him to get off screen. As for Patricia Clarkson, save for one beautiful moment of acting, she gives a lackluster performance. Overall, this is an overhyped movie. Not a bad one, per se, but I'd never watch it again.
½ January 2, 2016
potential, but... meh
December 14, 2015
This isn't just another good movie. This feels authentic. It's almost as if the screenplay never existed. Everything about this movie feels genuine, but most of all the stories, the characters, and the actors who portray them.
½ December 6, 2015
Oddly hopeful for a movie literally about different brands of loneliness interacting with each other. Really, really beautiful.
October 28, 2015
The psychologically acute and truthful story about grief, loss, and friendship. It is not sentimental but deeply moving. The performance is outstanding in all characters.
October 11, 2015
A charming, honest and nice story, Peter Dinklage's breakout performance....
October 5, 2015
i loved this movie. sweet and emotional and heartfelt. the characters are incredibly vivid and likeable and the sense of family that fills this movie up are thanks to that chemistry.
September 30, 2015
Adorable, touching movie. Great performances by the leads. Bobby Cannavale is endearing and energetic like a puppy! I liked Dinklage's understated and warm performance as well as Clarkson, dreamy, goofy demeanor with her grief below the surface. Cute to see these dysfunctional, lonely people share this quirky passion about trains.
½ September 26, 2015
A masterpiece from Tom McCarthy about loneliness, friendship, and to be oneself.
This particular bunch a friends, Fin, Joe and Olivia give us some lessons of what life is and what to care for the others too.
½ September 8, 2015
An exceptional movie.
½ August 22, 2015
Such a wonderfully strange mix of characters that works on every level
August 21, 2015
For the most part, The Station Agent takes audiences for an emotional ride; from sadness to a light at the end of the tunnel with eccentric humour thrown in from three different individuals who are not so different with an exceptional chemistry on-screen