Station West Reviews

• Jul 18, 2018

Station West is an okay film. It is about an Army officer masquerades as a crook to bring a murderous bunch of gold robbers to justice. Dick Powell and Jane Greer give decent performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Sidney Lanfield did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the action and romance.

• Feb 04, 2015

This excellent Western is really a tough film noir cleverly set in the Old West. The dialogue is sublime, so razor sharp that the actors probably had to bandage their hands after reading the script. And there are interesting little details as well; for instance, the way Dick Powell condescendingly pats attractive women on the arm (the way you might a pet) to let them know who's really in control. (Or so he'd like to think.) Toss in a first rate supporting cast that includes Raymond Burr, Burl Ives, and Agnes Moorehead - all generously given their scenes to shine - and you've got one heck of a movie... The Private Eye Goes West--'Station West' is a rather unusual movie in that it looks like a western and has a western-themed score but in terms of story and acting is more akin to 40s tough-guy detective flicks, with more moral ambiguity than you'd see in a John Ford movie and the relationship of Haven and Charlie is very Hammett-Chandleresque... A Stranger in Rock Pass!!

• Sep 25, 2014

A fair to good B Western with a noir feel and a femme fatal e nice locations and nice horses to a western is not a western without horses I like my movies with horses

• Aug 16, 2014

140829: I played scenes from this movie over and over trying to make sense of it. The story is weak, and Powell (Haven) has amazing luck. Some interesting yet classy actors I was not that familiar with. A well made movie, just a lot of holes if you're looking. Don't look and enjoy. Some gems within.

• Aug 12, 2013

Dick Powell is an undercover military intelligence officer investigating a series of gold robberies. There's a decent cast, with Jane Greer, Agnes Moorehead, Burl Ives, Raymond Burr, but the film never really grabbed me. I think it was that Dick Powell always seems like a really bland actor to me.

• jay n Super Reviewer
    Jul 26, 2013

Ordinary western made much better than it should be by the above average cast.

Ordinary western made much better than it should be by the above average cast.

• Jul 25, 2013

interesting mix of noir & western

interesting mix of noir & western

• Jul 21, 2013

A kind of film noir western, with the tough guy working things out on his own. It was a step up from the usual western given its interesting story and cast. Burl Ives has a nice song or two.

• Dec 24, 2012

Dick Powell is commanding as an undercover military detective in a rotten town. The fist-fight scene is also worthy of a mention as it is a cut above the norm.

• Jun 28, 2011

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 (1948) Station West WESTERN/ MYSTERY Described as Film Noir Western, which can best describe this film starring Dick Powell as undercover Lt Hank going undercover to find the people involved in the murders of two cavalry men while transporting gold from a mine! Jane Greer also stars as one one of the suspects whose also a love interest! Extremely unusual film since whenever we see a film labelled as 'film noirs'- they are nomally associated with the most current of settings, except that there's alot of very amusing dialogue and sarcastic exchanges between the star, Dick Powell whose been in the first critically acclaimed film noir film, "Murder, My Sweet" and Jane Greer whose best know for her role as the manipulative mistress in "Out Of The Past". This very high B rating is because of the well- written dialogue exchanges between it's characters than it would for the story in itself, and would probably look better as a Philip Marlowe picture than it is on anything else and very surprisingly, the film does work to a certain degree! Strong 3 out of 4