Stay Cool - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stay Cool Reviews

March 1, 2017
This movie was a little... rough at first... bits of humor... some of it just had me shaking me head... but it's not the worst film I've even seen.
½ February 10, 2015
If you have anything that wasn't finished at high school, you can do it sometime, just step in and stay cool with the consequences!
Harlequin68
September 7, 2014
After graduating high school and getting as far away from his small home town as possible, Henry McCarthy(Mark Polish, who also wrote the screenplay while his brother Michael directed) made it big by writing a best selling novel about his high school experiences. That entitles him to give one high school commencement speach. But somehow the airline is not so impressed when they lose his luggage. At least Henry has friends(Sean Astin & Josh Holloway) who are still there to give him a ride from the airport. And then Henry starts immediately obsessing over Scarlet(Winona Ryder) who barely knew he existed in high school and has problems of her own currently with her ex-husband Brad(Marc Blucas).

"Stay Cool" is an uneven comedy with some great moments in amusingly detailing how high school never really ends. One can simply try to move on as best as one can. Just as much as Mark Polish's awkwardness in the lead works both for and against the movie, the movie's main strength comes from its supporting cast, namely Winona Ryder who definitely needs to be in more movies. Otherwise, there are a couple of odd references and product placement.
½ June 8, 2014
There was nothing cool about this disaster of a movie!
½ January 19, 2014
This was a quirky, cute, and funny movie
January 6, 2014
The cast does a good job, and while it has a good story, I felt they could have made it a little more dramatic.
½ October 1, 2013
I really enjoyed this. It wasn't hysterical, although it had its moments,. It wasn't life altering, although it had a message. It was just entertaining. An interesting and intriguing journey. I'll probably watch it again.
½ July 1, 2013
An unexpectedly smart high school light comedy/drama. I'm writing this recently out of high school and enjoyed this movie to a decent extent because of how much I could relate to it. I don't know if I will feel the same way in twenty years or so but for now I still liked this film.

With a pretty impressive cast, this movie was pretty fun. The main character could have a lot better, but saying that I thought he did well with the more impressive cast around him. I mean you had Jon cryer Chevy chase and Winona Ryder to work with. Chase was one of the characters that did not work for me. He was really the main character of that one story line that was really unrealistic and irrelevant.

While I will say that obsessing with your high school for twenty years is ridiculous, being months out of high school I found the plot to be very interesting and creative. Obviously brining adults into a high school movie like this was not done well, where I was asking they know he's not really in high school, right? There were also a bit too much subplots that seemed to be used to fill in time when they could have done some really good stuff with what the movie is really about. That being said,I did enjoy them no matter how unnecessary they were.

I see how some say that this film is cliched and a ridiculous plot for a high school movie, but for me I found its current, personal relevance very fun to watch and reflect on. It's not something to be taken seriously as a statement on the four years of high school we all have but rather more of a fantasy where your high school thoughts are with you for years. Take it as a reflective work of your high school memories and enjoy!
June 6, 2013
I don't know... Ok I guess but a forgettable story too.
March 27, 2013
This was a strange movie, but it had a very nice and happy ending.
½ January 1, 2013
5 minute special ... could not finish.
December 4, 2012
good film in some parts
December 1, 2012
So stupid it's funny
July 3, 2012
I want to see it, but I can't seem to find it anywhere online
June 7, 2012
Despite the presence of the still beautiful Winona Ryder and the still funny and charming Chevy Chase, this is a poor attempt to relive those sentimental memories of the 80's and reviving an old school crush.
½ May 30, 2012
Started off really well, I loved the throwback 80s feel. However it loses it by the end.
½ May 28, 2012
Terrible movie, in fact I couldn't finish it.
May 11, 2012
It has its moments and it not that this is a bad movie exactly, I just wouldn't watch it again.
½ April 19, 2012
Stay Cool is a romantic comedy that has some fun, but doesn't quite know where it's going. The story involves a writer who returns to his hometown to deliver the commencement address at his former high school, and along the way he visits some old friends, including his former high school crush. The film has an interesting cast, which includes Mark Polish, Winona Ryder, Sean Astin and Hilary Duff. And while they all play some pretty fun characters, they don't always seem like they're in the same film. Still, a lot of the film works and it has some interesting things to say about the high school experience and how it affects our lives. Stay Cool has its moments, but has trouble delivering a satisfying story.
March 30, 2012
The curse of Hilary Duff continues. Nothing more to say really. Watch if you like someone in the cast otherwise avoid.