Steep Reviews

• Apr 16, 2012

A ton of great ski footage, probably boring if you aren't a skier/snowboarder.

A ton of great ski footage, probably boring if you aren't a skier/snowboarder.

• Apr 09, 2012

Good Doc. with insight into why skiiers go after the big Mtns. Also the filming uses new techniques in the Backcountry

• Feb 18, 2012

Even though I'm not at all a sports fan, everyone finds incredible sports videos to be fascinating. I'm certainly no exception, and the new skiing documentary "Steep" is filled with breathtaking, unbelievable footage. You can't help but be in awe of the athletes and the filmmakers who possess the amazing skill of capturing it all on film. The problem that plagues this film, and all of the similar films of Warren Miller as well, is that a little of it goes a long way. The filmmakers do a nice job of introducing us to the skiers, and we get to know what makes them tick and take the extreme risks they take. There's a lot more insight here than in the Miller films, but everyone starts to sound like a broken record after a while. Most of the athletes featured here have similar backgrounds, and their stories start to sound familiar after a while. I didn't get tired of that amazing downhill footage, but it doesn't make for a very stimulating movie-going experience. I did get tired of hearing the participants jabber on and on but I appreciated the film's inclusion of the death of one of the group. It would be far too easy for the makers of this to completely glamorize the sport and gloss over that event, but it doesn't. I never really found myself getting that involved in the movie, but that is a fairly touching moment. You can't help but feel for the guy and his family. "Steep" isn't much of a movie but it is a collection of cool skiing footage. I admired it, but I was still pretty restless.

• Feb 18, 2012

Pretty good. Some amazing cinematography!

Pretty good. Some amazing cinematography!

• Jan 08, 2012

very interesting and, of course, very cool

very interesting and, of course, very cool

• Dec 20, 2011

plentiful views of pristine mountains, the Chugach (near Valdez) was particularly stunning -- so is the action! Just remember to push your jaw back ... trust me it will drop.

• Jan 20, 2011

Incredible movie documenting the history of extreme skiing.

Incredible movie documenting the history of extreme skiing.

• Dec 11, 2010

Probably the greatest movie made about extreme skiing, the risks and the people that pay the ultimate price doing what they love. Guaranteed to get your lazy butt off the couch if you're mountain minded.

• Aug 22, 2010

It's nice to look at and it's good to hear the people who do this talking about it. It's also nice to get the admittedly superficial history of the sport. The problem is that we never really get to the "why." We hear them talk about how living on the edge is more real living than not living on the edge. We here about the "living" mountains. But we never really get a sense of why these people are escaping from the normal beyond some cliches.

• Apr 15, 2010

Given Ive never really had an interest in skiing this documentary about the guys that took the sport to an extreme level is involving enough to take me along for the ride. It helps too that there's actual footage rather than re-enactments (as if anyone would dare!) and that the scenery is breathtaking.