The Stepdaughter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Stepdaughter Reviews

December 21, 2011
This was utter crap. The plot was flimsy and the whole story line was weak. So many subjects they introduced and so few explained. "The Stepdaughter" was not an appropriate title because there wasn't one. There was no real suspense and completely predictable. This is a mess and certainly not worth the time to even look at the movie cover.
May 21, 2011
The Stepdaughter shares several elements with another made-for-tv potboiler called Bloodknot (which sounds like a Steven Segal flick but is instead a Margot Kidder flick). I must admit my morbid curiosity about its resemblance to Bloodknot heavily influenced my decision to watch it. It's as if the writers decided Bloodknot needed a rehash except without all the mystery and (spoiler alert) incest. They also decided a younger brother with a learning disability would add gravitas (spoiler alert #2: it doesn't). And for some reason (spoiler alert #3), they decided to kill off the mom about 2/3 of the way through so they could focus more on the horribly boring investigation conducted by the sister (whose role was filled in Bloodknot by the girlfriend).
The acting is pretty ok, especially the lead who is sort of a Naomi Watts with perenially clenched teeth.
Overall, I would've given more stars if the second half had matched the first in pacing, mystery, and hamminess.
½ May 2, 2011
This was pretty entertaining and reminded me of The Perfect Bride. I think Susan (Karen) did a great job in this and I loved the close-knit family.
April 6, 2011
Decent thriller... Andrea Roth plays a good psycho, any one who watches Rescue Me knows that.. Kinda predictable but still I thought it was a good film
½ June 8, 2009
This is a direct-to-TV movie with a few plot holes. The title for one - there is no stepdaughter, the doll for another - we never find out why Susan covets that doll so much.

But if you like physiological thrillers where you have to figure out what is going on - with a slightly abnormal ending, watch The Stepdaughter.
½ August 26, 2006
3.5/10. What a stupid movie. Made for television crap. Melodramatic and uninteresting, the acting is decent but nothing great. It is hardly convincing. A waste.