Stepfather II Reviews

• Oct 28, 2018

Okay sequel to the underrated original slasher/thriller about a demented serial killer, an excellent Terry O'Quinn, seeking the perfect all-American family and then slaughtering them when they don't live up to his white picket fence expectation. This sequel picks up from the end of the first film with O'Quinn escaping from an insane asylum, assuming a new identify, and finding a new family to be a loving stepfather. Jonathan Brandis, the son of O'Quinn's new wife, Meg Foster, begins to suspect something is wrong with his new stepdad and the white picket fences begin to crumble. The main weakness of this sequel is that the original film was told from the perspective of the teen daughter and tension built around her slowly coming to the realization that her new stepfather is not who he says he is. It wasn't a mystery in the original film that O'Quinn was a killer, but it was the suspenseful game of cat-and-mouse between stepfather and daughter that made the film interesting, as well as O'Quinn's dynamite performance. Where this sequel goes wrong is that O'Quinn is now the main character, which jettisons the film's cat-and-mouse suspense, and also causes film fall into standard slasher film conventions, losing the originality of the first film. O'Quinn is still excellent, but overall, "Stepfather II" is a so-so horror/slasher film that's nowhere as good as the highly original first film.

• Apr 18, 2015

O'Quinn's ok but this sequel is a basic remake of the first......imaginative huh.

• Jun 01, 2014

Stepfather II: Make Room For Daddy--A Good Part Two!!

Stepfather II: Make Room For Daddy--A Good Part Two!!

• Apr 19, 2014

Predictable and not a bit scary.

Predictable and not a bit scary.

• Mar 07, 2014

A decent but unnecessary sequel. Terry O'Quinn is a fantastic actor

A decent but unnecessary sequel. Terry O'Quinn is a fantastic actor

• Dec 21, 2013

Despite the piss-poor reception of this sequel, I cannot deny that I enjoyed Stepfather 2 almost as much as the original. One thing that I really enjoyed about this sequel is how it took more time to show how Terry O'Quinn's character slowly inserts himself into the life of a single mother and her family and how he goes about lying and covering his tracks. Much like the first film, this one is also a slow building horror film that explodes only after much anticipation and watching his mental state deteriorate. However, in this film, the killing is more frequent, which in some ways hurts the creepy factor of the film since it loses part of the luster of its predecessor. I still had a lot of fun watching this film and once again, Terry O'Quinn absolutely dominates his role and makes the film what it is. Even if you end up hating it, it's worth seeing once just to see his superb performance which is incredibly creepy. Stepfather 2 is a very underrated horror sequel, in my opinion.

• Oct 28, 2013

This is one sequel that is just as good as the first...not many in this genre can do that.

• Oct 25, 2013

A sequel that is watchable but also redundant. I felt like I was watching a Lifetime movie the whole time. While the first Stepfather actually feels like a horror movie, this one just seems like a made-for-TV thriller.

• Jul 07, 2013

Watch if you're bored. This film closely follows the formula of the first film. For a moment, I was sure it was the original...aside from the characters of course. It is enjoyable and shows that this psychopath will never stop.

• May 02, 2013

l enjoyed the sequel as much as the first one even though it's essentially the same film!