Stephen King's It - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stephen King's It Reviews

February 21, 2019
Stephen King's made-for-TV adaptation is an absolute dichotomy. The first half is genuinely scary and engaging with Curry giving an effectively frightening performance as Pennywise. The second half is melodramatic, uninteresting and gets ridiculous with Pennywise being more goofy and revealing to be a bogus spider monster. Half creepy, half cheesy.
February 12, 2019
i'm. so. bored.
½ January 24, 2019
Forget what the critics have to say, they don't represent the majority trust me. The original IT with Tim Curry is far better than the 2017 remake where the clown makes you laugh rather than cower with its weird bloated head. The original film makes you believe that the main characters really do care for each other. Love it.
½ January 19, 2019
Surprisingly scary for it's age, Stephen King's IT comes out as strange with dazzling effects and makeup
½ January 8, 2019
This movie is a classic. Nuff said.
January 4, 2019
Star studded cast. Excellent effects for the time it was made. Tim Curry is amazing.
December 29, 2018
Meh. Not terrible, but definitely not good.
60%
November 20, 2018
The first half of this movie was brilliant. However, the second half seemed too slow and I really didn't like the acting of the grown up characters. The ending was also kinda dull. Overall, I was disappointed because I heard this movie was such a great horror classic.
November 18, 2018
For an 80s movie it was pretty fun. It obviously wasn't as scary as it once was, but there was something very cute about it all. Haha. Which probably isn't the best way to describe a horror movie, but that's what I'll go with. Cute concept, cute execution.
October 30, 2018
A fairly faithful adaptation of Stephen King's IT.

IT (1990) takes its time to develop each character and situation in the town of Derry, Maine. Unfortunately, this means it moves at a slow pace to get us to a disappointing finale with an oddly dated special effects creature with some ridiculous claymation. However, all the horror and drama before this point is pretty well done.

The half with the children is gripping, frightening, and sympathetic. You feel the terror these kids face. Meanwhile, the adult portion is slow and dull with few memorable parts. At least the direction from Tommy Lee Wallace is fantastically thought out. The plot moves seamlessly from adults to children and back again. The shots are so creative just like the practical effects. Some look dated, while much of the blood and scares catch me off guard still. Thanks to Wallace's direction, IT feels haunting at all times with the weight of this horror story on the shoulders of these characters.

Notably, the kids are just better actors than the adults. Jonathan Brandis was so wonderful and inspired as young Bill. His monologue deciding to take on IT is phenomenal acting for such a young man. He was born to play Bill in this miniseries. Similarly, Emily Perkins is adorable and lovable as young Beverly. You feel so bad for her as she's so tiny and timid facing off horrid adults and bullies alike. She gives Beverly an instant sympathy. Likewise, Brandon Crane is young Ben with a sincerity and likability that feels quite natural to his portly stature. Seth Green is very funny as young Richie and little Adam Faraizl is great as young Eddie. Lastly, Marlon Taylor and Ben Heller are book accurate as young Mike and Stan, respectively.

On the other hand, the adult performances and casting are wildly hit or miss. Richard Thomas looks weird, but plays Bill with a realistic bravery and stutter. He is easily one of the best parts of the adult Loser's Club members. Dennis Christopher is so naturally shy and weak as the adult Eddie that he comes across as true to the character. I really like his performance. Also Tim Reid is mature and thoughtful as the adult Mike so much so he carries his narrator role with a serious tone.

Then, John Ritter is just so bland and milquetoast as adult Ben. He doesn't feel in place among these frightened actors. He even starts to feel creepy at times with moments that are supposed to appear intimate. Annette O'Toole is oddly dull to miserably overacting at times as adult Beverly. It's too bad as there are moments wherein she shines, but overall she is forgettable. Harry Anderson is enjoyable as adult Richie up to a point. He goes overboard and never shuts up to the point of ruining the mood. Richard Masur is okay as adult Stan, but feels miscast all the same.

I must mention the real star of IT. Tim Curry is hilarious and unsettling as Pennywise the Dancing Clown. Curry's take on IT is essentially being menacing and mean to the children, then cruel and monstrous to the adults. His jokes are funny and hit every time. His movements feel like a clown's and his vocal manipulations are stellar and varied. Curry is certainly the performance you'll remember from IT. While I personally do not find him scary the whole time, I'm sure someone more afraid of clowns will be shaken by Curry's performance.

Give IT an afternoon or night to haunt you. It will stay with you regardless of how dated a few aspects are now.
½ October 12, 2018
Tim Curry is a scene stealer as a demonic clown Pennywise. The first half of the series is a Triumph given the resources the director was given. The end - as is with a lot of King adaptations - deescalates to a somewhat lame ending.
½ September 23, 2018
Bizarre pacing and not interesting. The remake is a much better movie.
September 10, 2018
While IT is extremely cheesy and dated by today's standards, it still provides the perfect Pennywise with Tim Curry in the role.
½ August 31, 2018
i love stephen king and all, but this movie (from the few scenes i've seen on youtube) doesn't seem scary at all and honestly, kind of boring. i love the story, i just don't like the 1990 movie. the new movie is much better.
August 30, 2018
Pennywise was pretty much the only character worth watching. Otherwise, the acting was bland at best, and sometimes laughable. It seemed that Stephen King had forgotten what being an adolescent boy is really like. Cliched to the max. And in the face of REAL danger, most boys would wet their pants and go running for home. Lastly, (spoiler alert) it would have been better if the monster had remained a clown (or the manifestation of a clown). When it became a reptilian spider with a "glass jaw"...WHAT a major let down!. I might have laughed when they bludgeoned it to death had I not waited several long hours for a better ending. As it was, I felt cheated.
August 28, 2018
It was one of the best movies i have ever seen.
August 6, 2018
It's a fun movie to watch around Hallowe'en and what it lacks in fright it more than makes up for in comedy
July 28, 2018
It was enjoyable although the new version is a huge improvement on this original adaptation.
½ July 23, 2018
Didn't really like it, it is well made but the ending was terrible, it isn't scary and was poorly edited, and I've seen better editing in its time period.
June 23, 2018
If this movie was once considered scary, it has aged very poorly. Watching it in 2018, it is more silly than frightening. Tim Curry's Pennywise seems properly disturbing, but the rest of the movie is just kind of lame.