Steppenwolf - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Steppenwolf Reviews

July 3, 2015
I'm not well read enough to even discuss the philosophical merits of this film, all of it is lost on me. That doesn't mean that this film isn't a crazy good time. It starts slow, and for around the first hour it's a standard story about a middle aged man that get involved with a mysterious woman. It's a nice story but it doesn't really seem to go anywhere, then we are introduced to the "Magic Theater" from this point on the film becomes a special effects tour-de-force. This part of the movie is shot on what looks to be video tape and gives this part a very different vibe than the rest of it, almost like an early MTV music video complete with rampant blue screen abuse. It's a great film if you're in the mood for such a thing.
November 17, 2013
I'd use words but they are and are not , and I can not explain that. There is Hesse. By turns turgid or enchanting, manic and nightmarish. Wonderful beauty, as seen through jaded camera. Yes, the costumery, the masque, the colour washes and mostly the illustrations opened doors for a beginner in Hesse like myself.
January 11, 2013
Es muy difícil llevar al cine una novela tan compleja, es mejor leer el libro.
½ March 13, 2011
A somewhat entertaining and certainly very bizarre film. Younger Max von Sydow reminds me a lot of Anthony Hopkins.
May 16, 2010
Livro bom, adaptação ruim.
October 21, 2009
A near-faithful adaptation of the book. I'm a little biased because I've read the book and am in love with it, but I found myself experiencing the same adulations when viewing this movie. A lot is cut out, but the heart of it most certainly remains. If you're a fan of Hesse's, then you'll enjoy this movie. Even if you're not, it's still a bit of a philosophical ride in the same vein as Waking Life.
April 1, 2009
An interesting perspective of world from the eyes of a madman, or more correctly a man who thinks he is mad. I found this one of the movies you do not know why you are drawn to see to the very end.
366weirdmovies
March 22, 2009
Suicidal Harry Haller withdraws into a symbolic dream world where he comes to terms with his dual nature as man and beast, his destructively cynical assessment of Goethe, the fact that he desperately needs to get laid and smoke some dope, and other problems facing 1920s German intellectuals. A reverent and faithful adaptation of Herman Hesse's classic novel with some cool moments, but the performances are too restrained and languid, some of the accents of the international cast are impenetrable, and many of the "money shot" psychedelic effects in the Magic Theater finale seem campy and dated today.
February 3, 2009
this is one of the best ever done...superb acting ...faithful rendition of the book...my all time fave
October 3, 2008
There are three things I love in this film: 1) The Gilliam-meets-YELLOW-SUBMARINE animation, 2) George Gruntz's killer score, and 3) the experimental "video art" climax. That little weird-looking guy is cool too.