Stevie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stevie Reviews

March 14, 2014
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
½ November 6, 2012
Another good doco though it does drag a bit, and watching it requires quite a lot of patience and sympathy for the kind of people that made Jerry Springer possible.
½ October 14, 2012
Powerful stuff..
..and a good reminder that this is not a black and white world..
Amazing Doc.
September 11, 2012
Probably the most disturbing documentary ever made. It stays with you. It gets its hooks in your skin and it pulls.
June 10, 2012
As hard hitting and personal as James's other brilliant documentary, 'Hoop Dreams'. Full review coming soon...
October 18, 2011
rebel without a cause
½ September 5, 2011
Well done. Interesting. You get a glimpse of southern Illinois that isn't surprising if you've spent any time there.
April 27, 2011
one of the top docs..
½ March 14, 2011
Long winded by the most forgiving of standards, Stevie could have benefited greatly with a healthy dose of editing. There are some terrifically awkward moments, beautifully bizarre glimpses of the ultimately forgetful lives of a handful of people who are a far more prominent part of our society than most would like to believe. The big brother aspect is merely a jumping off point for the ultimate subject of this endeavor, impoverished American whites (Or poor, white trash, if you really want to go there. And yes, I just did). There are far better documentaries covering that topic, one of the most recent being The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia.

Stevie isn't the least bit likable, even without the criminal charges that weigh so heavily throughout most of the film. Neither is filmmaker Steve James, who usually comes across as so bland and unemotional that Stevie's incessantly over-the-top antics are an almost welcome relief by comparison. I found myself caring more about the relatives and associates of the principals, though not so much that it helped to justify the film's near two and a half hour length. Nor did the exploitative freakshow vibe that I got from most of the Chicago scenes, when Stevie tours the big city, accompanied by his mentally handicapped fiance and her handicapped High School chum.

It's a mess. A sometimes entertaining though rarely engaging mess that's just too long in the tooth. Ironic, considering how desperately in need of dental work so many of the participants are. Recommended but for a single viewing only, so pay attention as you won't likely sit through this baby again.
January 3, 2011
This movie disgusts me. Steven James is a fraud and a hypocrite. He wants to keep this psychopathic child rapist out of prison yet he wont have him stay in his own house because he has children there. I guess as long as the child rapist isn't in this try-hard wannabee dogooder's own back yard, it is fine for him to ASSIST him in assaulting the children of others. I hope when Stinky Stevie goes to prison his fellow inmates have already seen it so nature can finally take its course.
December 29, 2010
Disturbing story of a common criminal, with a sad past.
December 5, 2010
Preposterously long, given the subject. And the endless parade of human misery is really exhausting.
October 18, 2010
An outstanding achievement in documentary filmmaking - nothing less.
July 27, 2010
makes me remember all the lost souls i worked with in psych case management & wonder what happened to them. it breaks my heart to see how many people failed him. his eyes looked so vacant and sad - it's not fair he didn't have a better chance at life and those around him could not give him that.
½ May 18, 2010
This documentary changed me a bit.
March 31, 2010
Steve James' only good work along with Hoop Dreams. I liked this a lot more the first time I saw it. It felt real. Upon a recent viewing I felt this was a pain to sit through. James gets his point across about halfway through the doc, but you're forced to sit through another 70 minutes of exploitation. And I have a hard time figuring out why he wanted to make this film. You never really find out his true feelings about Stevie. First he feels sorry for him, then he bashes him for his poor decisions, then he defends him. In the end I felt Stevie was a monster. Molesting children is inexcusable. I don't care how hard your life was growing up. It's still an interesting story though.
March 30, 2010
Heart wrenching and real, this documentary shows what on the surface appears to be simply an undereducated young man. As it unravels we begin to see more of the troubling details of his life. Very well done documentary.
March 22, 2010
February 14, 2010
The story of Kid Rock before Devil Without a Cause was released (I think a hilarious joke if you hear and see Stevie). Part of me thinks this was pretty exploitative on James' part, but beyond that, quite a work. So many ways to look at it. First, I am often saddened that so many are left behind. The environment in which Stevie was raised said trouble from the day he was born. Lack of education just saddens me. Then there is the social stuff. The government gives him 10 years for his crime, but lets him run free for over two years before he's sentenced? That's insane. All in all, I think James did well to tell the story of someone that would have been otherwise overlooked by society. To take that story and make it compelling is good enough. To humanize a child molester is really quite a spectacular feat.
½ November 19, 2009
May be the best documentary ever--at least, I'd say it's probably my favorite.