Stevie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stevie Reviews

½ October 16, 2009
By the makers of Hoop Dreams. Pretty good.
September 21, 2009
This is not a movie I enjoyed. Is it a good documentary? Probably. I couldn't help but feel the film maker was using Stevie for his own gains. Unprofessional? Something about it didn't sit well with me.
½ September 10, 2009
Excellent documentary and commentary on the human condition. I found myself really getting behind this fella and wishing him to succeed. In the end, he just couldn't pull it off.
½ May 30, 2009
this Documentary (about a film maker that returns to a hick town in Illinois to find out what happened to "Stevie", a troubled kid he mentored some ten years earlier) leaves the viewer with a LOT to think about....the ethics of documentaries in general, the failure of state correctional, and foster systems, the effects of broken or collapsed family units, what roll poverty and religion plays in a person's emotional make up, and on and on and on.....really good, but really difficult to watch.
April 23, 2009
It's strange that Steve James descended on Stevie Fielding's life just as it started to go south. Or did it go south as a result of James? Such questions either plague or enrich this piece as James, a skilled documentarian, makes himself look like a fool as a social actor, showing himself buying his subject an expensive gift just before telling him off about his life. Not exactly the type of movie you go out of your way to see, but definitely one that's difficult to take your eyes off.
½ April 14, 2009
A strange but amazingly engaging documentary.
March 2, 2009
One of the most depressing films ever.
½ January 15, 2009
Where they find these hillbillies AMAZES me but it's a guaranteed brilliant doco. Big brother Steve (& his wife) really annoyed me since they clearly didn't give a shit about Stevie, they just wanted a good movie...but unfortunately they won. Well done on horrifying us with this dysfunctional nightmare!
December 27, 2008
This is maybe the most heartbreaking film I've ever seen. I just watched it, so I can't even begin to talk about it. But wow, I'm not sure there are words.
November 13, 2008
Amazing character study. Often profound and scary at the same time.
½ September 18, 2008
This is the kind of doc that when I was finished watching, I went online to research it more.
September 10, 2008
This is an excellent documentary that was created by a wonderful and very talented group of people.
September 8, 2008
Absolutely devastating.
July 16, 2008
An excellent documentary. Director of Hoop Dreams returns to the town he left in search of the boy he mentored in his days before becoming a fulltime filmmaker. A very engaging documentary.
July 4, 2008
love how personal the director gets with the subject
½ July 2, 2008
man, this documentary was rough. interesting, but rough.
½ June 30, 2008
What is the opposite of uplifting? This is that. From the same director as Hoop Dreams, who goes back to check on his now adult former "little brother" (in the Big Brother sense) whose life is tattered and who is himself a pitiful trainwreck. A solid raw documentary.
June 23, 2008
Emotionally gripping from beginning to end, this doc is a true testament to the fact that some criminals are made, not born. Steve James continues to prove that he is one of the great documentary filmmakers of our time.
June 14, 2008
I saw this film a few years ago. I had a particular appreciation for the gloomy feel of this documentary because I was born and grew up in the same county where the story takes place. I've been told that the filmmaker's interaction with the subjects is unusual but it fits perfectly in small town, economically depressed, Southern Illinois where everybody knows everyone else. The basic premise of the movie is this: An aging man remembers when he was young and was a Big Brother to a disadvantaged boy. Then man wonders what ever happened to the kid? The man decides to find out. So he tracks down the boy (who is now a man) a sees that not all fairytales have happy endings.