Stoked: The Rise and Fall of Gator - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stoked: The Rise and Fall of Gator Reviews

March 12, 2016
Really about the changes in the skate scene and its commercialisation, and although it follows Gator through this, actual insights are few and far between. When the tragic end arrives, fair dues, no punches are pulled, but this only emphasises the failure to get under his skin to any significant degree - we know little more than if we'd never heard of skateboarding and had just read a news article reporting on his court appearance. Certainly an important cautionary tale, but a disappointing biography.
November 15, 2013
An amazing look at gators life the 1080s skate boarder who lost his mind when vert skating went out and street came in. This movie and the movie dog town and z boys help illustrate a picture of how skateboarding was formed but where stoked breaks off from that is the fact that it examines only one persons life. Mark (Gator) Rogowski is examined from his early years to his celeb skate status in the mid to late 80s and then to his eventual downfall this a documentary you don't want to miss
November 12, 2013
Very good documentary showing the darker side of fame and its influence on a fragile yet explosive personality.
January 21, 2013
great doc brought back the eighties 4 me
January 12, 2013
This might be a 5 star movie. I need to let it soak in a little before I decide. Just totally fucking awesome and deliciously 80's. Completely love the biographical type documentaries with no agenda, blatant character bashing, or total disregard for the truth. Nothing more than an amazing story about a real person that completely captivates you.
½ May 22, 2011
awesome doc on Gator. sad ending to a dope career. see you in 2022ish
December 19, 2010
This documentary should keep you interested whether you care anything about skateboarding or not. A sad true story of a young skateboard legend, who along with Tony Hawk ruled the sport from its crux. He gradually lost control of his life in the midst of all the fame, drugs, alcohol, women, and his ever-changing new sport. He made one additional really bad choice. If you love documentaries or the skate/punk scene, you've gotta check this one out. It's full of tons of original skate footage and interviews and gives a great glimpse of an era.
½ June 26, 2010
Gator the rise and fall of Gator is just one of those documentaries that even if you arent into the subject matter will keep your fall attention from the first shot to the last this documentary follows the story of 80's vert skater Mark *gator* Rogowski who let fame and drugs spiral his life out of control untill the fateful day when he was convicted of murdering his a girl he knew of course as with most documentary's ull see interviews by the people that knew him and stuff from gator himself really worth a watch
May 16, 2010
Cautionary tale of skateboarding talent "Gator" Rogowski who skyrocketed to fame in the 80s, only to self-destruct when new styles and skaters moved in. A good portrait of the sport and the era, mainly through clips of Rogowski made at the time, and a large number of interviews with his peers after the dust had settled.
February 11, 2010
A very entertaining documentary about Mark "Gator" Rogowski. It was really kind of sad to see where Mark Rogowski and others have gone since the whole change in the skate industry in the early 90's.
½ January 24, 2010
definitely an interesting documentary on not only a once professional skateboarder but also an interesting half-ass documentary on the skateboarding world/scene particularly the 'rise and fall' of vert skateboarding in the 80s
½ November 17, 2009
what can happen to children orphaned by fame? this absorbing look at the gator story doesn't have a lot of new information, but manages to keep its head above sensationalism.
½ October 25, 2009
A pretty solid documentary. Its a pretty interesting story about skateboard legend Mark "Gator" Rogowski; and its surprisingly disturbing towards the end.
July 27, 2009
Very interesting......even for people who don't care about skating.. ..
Youth, fame, alcohol and murder....the whole package.
March 8, 2009
Another good documentary about the rather unfortunate events that occurred after the vert skating demigod Mark "Gator" Rogowski lost his money, fame and mind - resulting in a brutal rape and homicide. Some interesting interviews with all the big guns of the 80s/90s scene, raw skating footage and phone calls from Mark in prison.
December 4, 2008
Stoked is a very good doc about a pro skater back from when I was a teen. I've met quite a few riders in the video, and lived the skateboarding life for quite some years. Never met Gator, and am glad I didn't after seeing this. His board design is one of the most popular ever. This story is definitely worth watching.
October 18, 2008
A good doco about a boring & predictable dickhead. Go watch "Pray For Me (The Jason Jessee Film)" instead, now that's a real interesting character... then again Jason Jessee is one of the most fucked up yet interesting skateboarder ever! He should be the President of USA.
½ September 17, 2008
There was great skating vid coverage (reminded me of highschool and Whistler), funny naked goofy parts and a very disturbing ending.
September 5, 2008
For those who grew up skating in the 80s and 90s, it takes you back to those moments of sitting in your basement watching Vision and Powell skate videos. As entertaining as it is heartbreaking.
August 11, 2008
Helen Stickler's brilliantly directed documentary on legendary vert ramp skater Mark "Gator" Rogowski whose rise to fame came crashing down after being convicted of the brutal murder of his girlfriend. I grew up in that part of North San Diego in the early to late 80's, so this film's skate footage and locales brought back memories for me of the places we roamed and people we idolized. Great sleeper film that I believe is comparable to Peralta's masterpiece Dogtown and the Z-Boys but 80's style.