Stoker - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stoker Reviews

½ November 26, 2015
Stoker is an interesting film, with intrigue, suspense and mystery. However, with so much promise and build, it has an anticlimactic ending. Nicole Kidman, as always, is a struggle to watch as she flounces across the screen. The music has a good tempo, but is not enough to carry the weak story into a clean wrap. Stoker is a flimsy watch as a once off.
November 22, 2015
Nicole Kidman has better movies than this one. I think people should pass on this one. Boring, bizarre and just unsatisfying overall.
November 15, 2015
One of the best movies
October 18, 2015
"Why didn't you tell me I had an uncle?"

'Stoker' simultaneously shows how to build up an impending sense of danger with ease and then cut it down with a typical bland reveal. We all know clichés aren't bad. It's the execution that makes it bad, so when the curtain reveals what's happening its limp and met with a quiet sigh. It's one of those situations where the mystery is one of the usual hits a film like this goes with.

Surprisingly more so how limp is, is that this is the man who created 'Oldboy' that majestically held the real outcome to very end - it didn't given anything away. While 'Stoker' doesn't really give anything either - it has a lazy explanation (even if the scene that actual shows the reason is chilling and well shot).

'Stoker' starts with the death of India's (Mia Wasikowska) father due to a car accident. At the family house she is introduced to her uncle 'Charles' (Matthew Goode' and he stays with 'India' and her distant mother 'Evelyn' (Nicole Kidman). 'India' tries to keep her distance from her charming yet slightly off uncle. It does an excellent job at first of building an uneasy relationship with the two as well as her meek, emotionally unstable mother (who clearly has little interest in her own daughter).

I felt like there was an air of supernatural going on, naturally this is my own reasoning so when it doesn't I did feel a little disappointed. there is that feeling throughout it, even when it's 100% clear there is something wrong with 'Charlie'. Part of mystery building is the emptiness of the house and of course Park Chan-wook's camera work and uses sound to show sort of parity between 'India' and 'Charlie'. The use of space and silence is another aspect that 'Park' is no stranger to and it's probably the film that has the most of it.

Unfortunately the film loses the tension and mystery it builds with the weak reasoning in a rather typical and bland manner. It loses all sense of its identity and becomes something I wouldn't expect of 'Park'. The performances are excellent (which they are Goode in particularly is fantastic - having a perfect mix of charm and perverted.). But even they can't prevent it's final 30 minutes.

'Stoker' is a minor blip in Park's filmography, it's still decent film with his usual panache and beautiful shots but it ultimately falls short of his other films. There are brilliant performances throughout - Goode, Kidman and Wasikowska work like a metronome together. This film needed a strong reveal, the slow trickle of the mystery and 'Charles' interest in 'India' set it all up. But it hits with a light breeze and all that good will is reduced to a disappointing wimpier.
October 13, 2015
Tense but not terribly surprising
October 3, 2015
white people are crazy
½ August 30, 2015
There's nothing I hate more than a psychological horror movie with no one to root for, no one to identify with, no one to keep one foot in the realm of human decency while the atrocities are committed onscreen. This film depressed the hell out of me. I wanted to like it, truly I did, but it never gave me any reason to like it. And what an asinine ending. It's getting high marks on here, but I wish I missed this one.
August 11, 2015
Sumptuous, dark and hidden with lashings of psychosexual undertones this is a riveting watch. No doubt more will be revealed on another viewing
½ August 3, 2015
Stoker is a really bizzare film that provides some good suspense in some occassions, but was overall a huge bore
½ July 30, 2015
Visually appealing film. This film is moody, gothic and atmospheric. I am in love with Park Chan-wook's taste when it comes to film imagery.
July 23, 2015
The director of Oldboy ventures into the American market with another stylish art-house thriller. The artistic flourishes are definitely there, but Stoker doesn't quite reach the delirious heights of Chan-wook's earlier work. [B+]
½ July 22, 2015
Strange, disturbing, atmospheric and interesting, Stoker is a great triumph in cinematography and storytelling; with a great performance from Nicole Kidman.
July 11, 2015
Chan-wook Park's English speaking debut is almost as sociopathic as the two characters' who propel it. Within the context of the plot, this not really a bad thing. As the plot progresses the viewer starts to feel more concern for the insane characters than the other ones who are just mean. An interesting mix of tension, very dark comedy and some surprisingly disturbing moments. As always, Chung-hoon Chung's cinematography is awesome. The acting is top notch. It is particularly interesting to witness Mia Wasikowska and Nicole Kidman in their scenes together. They create a mutually-charged resentment. Clever and completed committed to its vision from start to finish.
June 15, 2015
Very good movie. The "mysterious stranger" plot feels a bit familiar, its intriguing characters and style set itself apart from other similar films. The direction from Park is superb, the screenplay's fairly well written from first timer Miller, and the performances in the film are great, especially Wasikowska and Goode. Had the film subverted the genre tropes more, it would've been a lot better.
June 13, 2015
Honestly, I loved this one. A highly stylized, artsy, beautifully photographed film, highlighted by magnificent performances from Matthew Goode and Mia Wasikowska (who steals the show in EVERY scene AND proves what a great actress she is who is not afraid to take risks - mark my words, Oscar is in her near future). This almost Hitchcockian tale is chilling and spellbinding in its delivery, but it is also uniquely offbeat and keeps you confused as to what exactly is happening until the stunning climax which, even though you just know something is very wrong with uncle Charlie - it is still a surprise and a shocker - oh, especially that ending! Kidman is better here than I've seen her in years, but honestly STOKER belongs to Goode and Wasiowska who are both utterly fearless and make this a truly great film. It's a strange little chiller and certainly not for everyone. Some will find it boring and off-putting. I love these types of films, however, the more challenging the better, as far as I'm concerned. Park's direction is superb and overall he has created a stunning picture getting the most out of his excellent cast. Highly recommended!
½ June 10, 2015
Really wish this was better
June 2, 2015
Enthralling and tremendously entertaining.
½ May 28, 2015
By the end, Stoker left me unsatisfied. It has some of the coolest cinematography I've ever seen in a movie, but it's too much style-over-substance. It's like the whole time the movie is going "Look at me! Look at me! Look how cool this shot is!" It's too much. I wanted more twists and turns in the story. I just wish Park Chan-wook worried less on the look and more on the plot.
May 11, 2015
Lead female actor is gorgeous. Cast was good too. I was thoroughly entertained by this movie. Acting good.
May 9, 2015
Very unique, somewhat odd, but intriguing movie. Enjoyed!