Stoker - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stoker Reviews

½ February 14, 2016
The plot and the script was quiet as intense as his earlier works, but his trademarks cinematography and atmospheric is still carried on.
½ February 12, 2016
Cool movie allthough that Uncle Charlie is an asshole ...But , good story...and Miss Kidman maybe one day i gonna actualy like you
½ February 1, 2016
Too slow and drawn out.
January 26, 2016
Predictable, but so so so beautifully shot. The cinematography almost made up for the pointless plot.
January 25, 2016
Mia Wasikowska has to play a new character! I don't know if it's because of her botox but Nicole Kidman was awful Matthew goode was great, he could play Psycho in a Hitchcock remake (Maybe!).. 1/5
½ January 23, 2016
Dark, moody and aptly shot, Stoker nestles in a secretive plot that doesn't quite deliver in its conclusion.
December 30, 2015
Really not my kind of film, very weird with a good cast, but I'm not of fan of either the main actor or actress. Nicole Kidman doesn't do a lot in this but just a big name to force you to watch it.
December 29, 2015
A decent story made weird by letting a Korean direct it. It's not that easy to follow and we did have to double check our understanding on Wikipedia afterwards. Kidman is unbearable, the others are good though.
December 19, 2015
Disturbing like a train wreck. You want to look away, you cannot.
December 13, 2015
Flawless cinematography, but predictable and boring.
½ November 30, 2015
really beautiful/creative/wonderful film. very cool score. very cool transitions. not too long. poignant. did something very nice for my brain. this is a very refreshing and interesting and dark film and i'm glad i watched it.
½ November 26, 2015
Stoker is an interesting film, with intrigue, suspense and mystery. However, with so much promise and build, it has an anticlimactic ending. Nicole Kidman, as always, is a struggle to watch as she flounces across the screen. The music has a good tempo, but is not enough to carry the weak story into a clean wrap. Stoker is a flimsy watch as a once off.
November 22, 2015
Nicole Kidman has better movies than this one. I think people should pass on this one. Boring, bizarre and just unsatisfying overall.
November 15, 2015
One of the best movies
October 18, 2015
"Why didn't you tell me I had an uncle?"

'Stoker' simultaneously shows how to build up an impending sense of danger with ease and then cut it down with a typical bland reveal. We all know clichés aren't bad. It's the execution that makes it bad, so when the curtain reveals what's happening its limp and met with a quiet sigh. It's one of those situations where the mystery is one of the usual hits a film like this goes with.

Surprisingly more so how limp is, is that this is the man who created 'Oldboy' that majestically held the real outcome to very end - it didn't given anything away. While 'Stoker' doesn't really give anything either - it has a lazy explanation (even if the scene that actual shows the reason is chilling and well shot).

'Stoker' starts with the death of India's (Mia Wasikowska) father due to a car accident. At the family house she is introduced to her uncle 'Charles' (Matthew Goode' and he stays with 'India' and her distant mother 'Evelyn' (Nicole Kidman). 'India' tries to keep her distance from her charming yet slightly off uncle. It does an excellent job at first of building an uneasy relationship with the two as well as her meek, emotionally unstable mother (who clearly has little interest in her own daughter).

I felt like there was an air of supernatural going on, naturally this is my own reasoning so when it doesn't I did feel a little disappointed. there is that feeling throughout it, even when it's 100% clear there is something wrong with 'Charlie'. Part of mystery building is the emptiness of the house and of course Park Chan-wook's camera work and uses sound to show sort of parity between 'India' and 'Charlie'. The use of space and silence is another aspect that 'Park' is no stranger to and it's probably the film that has the most of it.

Unfortunately the film loses the tension and mystery it builds with the weak reasoning in a rather typical and bland manner. It loses all sense of its identity and becomes something I wouldn't expect of 'Park'. The performances are excellent (which they are Goode in particularly is fantastic - having a perfect mix of charm and perverted.). But even they can't prevent it's final 30 minutes.

'Stoker' is a minor blip in Park's filmography, it's still decent film with his usual panache and beautiful shots but it ultimately falls short of his other films. There are brilliant performances throughout - Goode, Kidman and Wasikowska work like a metronome together. This film needed a strong reveal, the slow trickle of the mystery and 'Charles' interest in 'India' set it all up. But it hits with a light breeze and all that good will is reduced to a disappointing wimpier.
October 13, 2015
Tense but not terribly surprising
October 3, 2015
white people are crazy
½ August 30, 2015
There's nothing I hate more than a psychological horror movie with no one to root for, no one to identify with, no one to keep one foot in the realm of human decency while the atrocities are committed onscreen. This film depressed the hell out of me. I wanted to like it, truly I did, but it never gave me any reason to like it. And what an asinine ending. It's getting high marks on here, but I wish I missed this one.
August 11, 2015
Sumptuous, dark and hidden with lashings of psychosexual undertones this is a riveting watch. No doubt more will be revealed on another viewing
½ August 3, 2015
Stoker is a really bizzare film that provides some good suspense in some occassions, but was overall a huge bore